ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driving ban, losing job?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by rubberbond »

We didn't seem to have these logistical problems when most of us used bikes. No doubt there were some, but this is an unintended consequence of van share.
themailman
Posts: 399
Joined: 09 Jun 2010, 21:05
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by themailman »

ganda wrote:Image
Interesting, but I wonder what the guidelines are for posties who feel that they no longer wish to drive for the company. I.e. people who have been in the job 10/15/20 years and feel that driving for the company places an unnecessary risk of getting points on their licence or being involved in a RTA.
Craig_Fairbrass
Posts: 36
Joined: 13 Feb 2014, 11:26
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by Craig_Fairbrass »

In the mid 2000's, someone in my office was caught over the limit in a RM van, he'd had 3 pints after his delivery and was driving back to the depot. They changed his delivery to a walking duty and nothing else was said about it. Different times now though.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by nickbsmooth »

I'm not sure they could sack someone for losing their licence . I can think of at least 10 people in my office you don't/can't drive.
They were employed before driving aspect was added to the job description.
However since everyone's job is basically the same,it would be discrimination to sack someone who now can't drive. The terms and conditions apply whether you've been there 1yr or 20yrs
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by Surreypostie »

I think and it is only my opinion, if you are caught over the drink drive limit while driving a RM vehicle you are on dodgy ground, having a few pints on your way back to the office would surely be gross misconduct.

Slightly off topic, I know a guy who had his insurance renewal declined by his insurance company, not a young person either, he was seen by the police holding his mobile phone while driving, he picked it up to see who was calling apparently. Notified his insurance company as you get points and a fine and they refused to insure him. I've been a passenger in RM vehicles and some people have no hesitation using mobile phones while driving.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by Chewster »

themailman wrote:
ganda wrote:Image
Interesting, but I wonder what the guidelines are for posties who feel that they no longer wish to drive for the company. I.e. people who have been in the job 10/15/20 years and feel that driving for the company places an unnecessary risk of getting points on their licence or being involved in a RTA.
The RTA point I can sympathise with, I know plenty of people who are too scared to drive their own car with passengers, never mind a company van with a passenger and a load of mail. But you're only going to get points if you drive like a tit and break the law, so I'm sorry but saying "I don't want to drive because I might get points" is a load of bollocks.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by Surreypostie »

The more hours you spend driving, the more miles you rack up and the chance of you having an accident increases. One of the questions you are asked when you apply for car insurance is, how many miles a year do you do? The reason for that is the more miles you do the greater the risk, so it is not complete bollocks and a reason I chose not to drive on a regular basis. Prefer to be the passenger.
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by simply_the_best »

Craig_Fairbrass wrote:In the mid 2000's, someone in my office was caught over the limit in a RM van, he'd had 3 pints after his delivery and was driving back to the depot. They changed his delivery to a walking duty and nothing else was said about it. Different times now though.


We had a guy who was done in his RM van the morning after well over the limit and he was sacked, that'd be about ten years ago.
cpsteve
Posts: 699
Joined: 20 Apr 2016, 15:46
Gender: Male

Driving ban, losing job?

Post by cpsteve »

I would expect the sack for getting a driving ban in a job you got because you drive. Do not drink and drive and if you make a mistake and get points make sure its one mistake.