ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by bustedflush »

borgpicard wrote:
bluealbert wrote:60-70 hours a week..... :no no and I'm lucky to get any o/t and I've been f/t for nearly 30 years . You'd soon be complaining if you had a contract for 35 hours and offered No o/t :Applause
Well said, if these people stoped doing the o/t for just one week, the company would soon be giving upped hours.

That happened in Corby last year!!! :Applause :Applause :Applause And you're right, they were all made FT.

This is the spiv way RM do their contracts - (if on the Wally week) this means 12-13 weeks a year when on RWO/AL you lose 9 hours if you are contracted 30 and always work FT. That's about 1100 quid a year gross or 3 weeks' wages. So they are effectively getting a FT postie for 6% less cost per year than a FT contracted one.
Simples. :evil/mad
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by eastie »

If you are doing 60 hours a week your shooting yourself in the foot. just do your 24 hours a week for a month and you will have more chance of them upping your hours to 30 but F/T no chance nobody being made up anywhere at the moment unless all P/T staff
refuse to do O/T in your office and you do a Corby
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Chewster »

Most of us can't afford to just do our contracted hours for a month. It's all very well talking about the principle of the matter, but principles don't pay the bills. I'm on a 20 hour contract and am generally working 50+ hours, I just can't afford to limit myself for the sake of making a statement, especially when I'm a fair bit off the top part time seniority spot.
Poster91
Posts: 16
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 14:19
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Poster91 »

I'm in the same situation. I enjoy the job but i cant move forward with my life because i cant get a mortgage because im only on a 18 hour contract. I work full time hours and have never worked 18 hours ever :roll:
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by eastie »

Poster91 wrote:I'm in the same situation. I enjoy the job but i cant move forward with my life because i cant get a mortgage because im only on a 18 hour contract. I work full time hours and have never worked 18 hours ever :roll:
Get another part time job, remember a few years ago a 24 hour contract postmen got another job delivering curries 3 evenings a week and when he refused to do O/T for RM and only worked his contracted hours they made him F/T
Poster91
Posts: 16
Joined: 02 Jun 2016, 14:19
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Poster91 »

eastie wrote:
Poster91 wrote:I'm in the same situation. I enjoy the job but i cant move forward with my life because i cant get a mortgage because im only on a 18 hour contract. I work full time hours and have never worked 18 hours ever :roll:
Get another part time job, remember a few years ago a 24 hour contract postmen got another job delivering curries 3 evenings a week and when he refused to do O/T for RM and only worked his contracted hours they made him F/T
I think its that whole work/life balance i have other commitments in the evenings. I just want that long term security that we all look for as well. Time will tell i guess i'm always looking for other opportunities outside RM.
Nigel1505
Posts: 409
Joined: 10 Jun 2010, 08:24
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Nigel1505 »

Our office most weeks, only gets the walks completed due to o/t and wally working. If that that stopped then we would be knackered. :arrrghhh
lee trigger
Posts: 28
Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 20:12
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by lee trigger »

You are not helping yourself achieve a contract increase by doing overtime. If you all tell them no. your office will soon get sorted out, unfortunately it will probably be the same as most other offices, keep moaning about it but still do it.
lee trigger
Posts: 28
Joined: 18 Jul 2014, 20:12
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by lee trigger »

You are not helping yourself achieve a contract increase by doing overtime. If you all tell them no. your office will soon get sorted out, unfortunately it will probably be the same as most other offices, keep moaning about it but still do it.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by nickbsmooth »

Our office recently upgraded some PT to FT ,the positions were offered to PT staff who'd since become managers years ago and don't even work at the office.
We have a number of staff on our books,who have not worked there in the last 5yrs.
Seems sensible
Martin Walsh
Posts: 4276
Joined: 19 Sep 2007, 20:12
Location: neverland

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Martin Walsh »

The important thing under the Agenda for Growth is that there will be a review.

However there will be part timers working above their hours due to vacancies within the office and than when these vacancies are filled will they still need to work above their conditioned hours ? If this is the case that it is unlikely that they will be an increase in contract as they are working the increase of hours due to the vacancy not being filled.

Equally if a part timer is working extra due to the numbers of people sick or long term sick in the sick in the unit or even due to covering someone on maternity leave. Again it is unlikely that someone will be given an increase in hours if the reason for their increase is due to coverage of sick leave as clearly those on sick leave will return at some stage.

In addition if an office agreed a revision at a certain Indoor EP and they are Not achieving this now due to the increase in indoor time being claimed often with the increase being the part timer. Again this is problematic.

However if a part timer is having to come in early and throw up their own walk every day and help out on the IPS than there is clear rationale for increasing a part timers contract. Equally if they are on reserve and every week they cover a full time duty than again they should be made up.

I know in London in the last 3 months we have achieved agreement to over 120 part timers to full time and some other part timers getting increases in contract hours.

Other areas have also been successful but the remember the Agenda for Growth is also about efficiency as well which is why it is not plain sailing and not every part timer will get an increase.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by blakeyboy »

You are all in the same boat as everyone is full of greed.Do you all not realise if we all stood together and said no to overtime then Royal Mail would be forced to offer higher hour contracts.Why people want to do 60-70 hours a week is beyond me do you not have lives outside of Royal Mail!
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by Phantom »

The other issue you have is seniority, if someone is working 50+ hours a week and been in job 6 years and then you've someone who is working their contractual hours and been in the job 10 years who gets the increase in hours? Everyone needs to stop working overtime, it's killing the job and royal mail know it is, it's depressing wages and allowing more and more part time workers so royal mail can pick and choose who they want, when they want. This is creeping favouritism via the back door. Work your agreed hours and no more and we will all benefit. Failure to do so will lead to what we have now.
CUT OFF!!!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by rambo1 »

Poster91 wrote:
eastie wrote:
Poster91 wrote:I'm in the same situation. I enjoy the job but i cant move forward with my life because i cant get a mortgage because im only on a 18 hour contract. I work full time hours and have never worked 18 hours ever :roll:
Get another part time job, remember a few years ago a 24 hour contract postmen got another job delivering curries 3 evenings a week and when he refused to do O/T for RM and only worked his contracted hours they made him F/T
I think its that whole work/life balance i have other commitments in the evenings. I just want that long term security that we all look for as well. Time will tell i guess i'm always looking for other opportunities outside RM.
If you're doing 70 hrs you surley must be working into the evening for royal mail every day?
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Big Problem at Royal Mail/union

Post by datasaint »

Poster91 wrote:I'm in the same situation. I enjoy the job but i cant move forward with my life because i cant get a mortgage because im only on a 18 hour contract. I work full time hours and have never worked 18 hours ever :roll:
Nationwide will take your last 13 weeks payslips into account when calculating how much to lend you.

It was certainly a lot more than I expected when I went to see them on my PT contract.