this is such a great answer with the delivery to neighbour rule they want us all to doeastie wrote:What I usually say to the DOM is I'm going over today and if he does ask me by how much I normally say it depends on how many neighbours I have to try.
How can you time your round. you can't with P/L
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Not allowed to book overtime
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
OP - you are going to have to start telling them you can only work till your time. They will say OK just get it all done! You need to be strong, stand your ground (but don't get into an argument) and say 'either you pay me OT or I can only complete to X street'. Don't be persuaded to take any more than that and don't let them wind you up. Don't even get into a conversation about it just say 'I've told you what I can do I now need to get on with my work'. End of conversation.
You don't need to justify your performance to anyone. If they want to speed test you say you'll be happy to be tested.
You don't need to justify your performance to anyone. If they want to speed test you say you'll be happy to be tested.
-
ThatsNotPlumb
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 08 Feb 2012, 22:33
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
Firstly I wouldn't let those 45 minutes go so easily. The fact was you worked those 45 minutes in order to fully complete your delivery, regardless of whether their little figure say the volumes were down or how it physically looked to them, you still went beyond your contracted hours & you did it in order to, I presume, save both yourself & the manager hassle of having to cut off & find someone else to deliver it or leave it till the following day.Miss Piggy wrote:Hi there, I'm new to this forum and only been with Royal Mail since beginning of April.
I'm a part time postie contract 20 hours p/w. The walk Im on is quite heavy and never finishes on time. My depot is usually OK with paying OT but there are some days they call "light days" and managers tell us we should not be booking any extra time.
This is fine with me, in fact I would rather not work over at all, but I do, to get the job done.
But recently, on a day they were classing as a "light day" (yes the mail was less in quantity than usual) I still went over by around 45 minutes, but was told I couldn't book OT for it. What should I have done in this instance, should I have cut off ?
Basically you need to say to them, in future I will no longer work beyond my scheduled finish time as a result of this incident & in the future if I encounter the same situation in which I get half way through my delivery then realise that I might not get everything completed within my contracted hours, I'll contact office immediately & alternative arrangements can be made for the collection or return of undelivered items.
-
Miss Piggy
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 18 Jun 2016, 16:00
- Gender: Female
Not allowed to book overtime
Thanks folks for all your advice. Let's just say it won't be happening again as I've learned from this example.
I walked in on Monday morning this week to find I'm being sent out on my own, so I checked before I left the depot that it was OK to be over, which it was.
Someone earlier mentioned the cut off procedure, could anyone advise me on this please as some days I do need to work just my 5 hour day.
I walked in on Monday morning this week to find I'm being sent out on my own, so I checked before I left the depot that it was OK to be over, which it was.
Someone earlier mentioned the cut off procedure, could anyone advise me on this please as some days I do need to work just my 5 hour day.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72759
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Not allowed to book overtime
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 36&t=18563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
God the whole thing we've created is a nightmare!! Let's all fly round like lunatics!! Some are slow,but more often than not we are expected to quicken up like the others! Or be re trained as they call it,if I'm not fit for purpose then get rid of me,am happy to go after 35 years ,all this red tape penny pinching isn't funny anymore,it's gutty and unhealthy,
-
deristrong
- Posts: 195
- Joined: 15 Nov 2013, 09:28
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
All the people advising you to cut off (working to your time) should mention you'll be told you're too slow and to get your finger out. Making you feel like s**t. Just saying.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
and as soon as that s**t starts you get the union rep involvedderistrong wrote:All the people advising you to cut off (working to your time) should mention you'll be told you're too slow and to get your finger out. Making you feel like s**t. Just saying.
-
Kick the Bucket
- Posts: 119
- Joined: 14 Sep 2015, 19:22
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
Cutting off or working to time is difficult for a lot of people who fear or try to avoid conflict with managers we all know that. It is an especially daunting situation for a newer member of staff who are generally on temporary contracts. You are constantly under pressure and aware that you need to 'prove' yourself to management. Partners to new members of staff should stand with them at times like these. Typical management bullying. Makes me sick
-
eastie
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2234
- Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
- Gender: Male
Not allowed to book overtime
dony let the DOM spout off about mail volumes either
unless they can tell you how much your individual walk has got parcelwise which they can't mentioning mail volumes is bollox
Some rounds have 6 packet bags of small parcels whilst others have only one . Do they expect you to finish at the same time
unless they can tell you how much your individual walk has got parcelwise which they can't mentioning mail volumes is bollox
Some rounds have 6 packet bags of small parcels whilst others have only one . Do they expect you to finish at the same time