ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New starter

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by Chewster »

Haha yes, reading these boards isn't the greatest idea if you're nervous about the job tbh. The job itself is great provided you like walking (which I do). Plenty of fresh air, plenty of exercise, nice and early finishes even if you do do extra work - the latest I've ever finished (not including christmas time) was 4pm and that was polling card day. Very late finish for a postie, but still done an hour before most other people in the rat race!

What isn't great, is the s**t that goes with the job, the politics, the constant arguments about doing overtime etc. If (like me) you don't particularly mind doing overtime, then you'll be fine. Just remember your rights with overtime and cutting off etc and don't be afraid to stand your ground, same as any other job (though some people on here seem to think we're a special case when it comes to that stuff)
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

New starter

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Lydialola wrote:Thank you so much Peshawaarinaan...I don't think it's helping reading some of the comments haha.
It's my induction tomorrow and I start Wednesday, my daughter and hubby have told me I'll be fine as my 19yr old daughter said ( you're not soft ) and I believe I'm no shrinking violet as my Parcelforce colleagues once told me lol...x
I was dreading starting TBH but it was absolutely fine. Yes it's all a bit daunting to start with but it's a brilliant job and well paid. I love walking too and you are very much your own boss when you are out on your round. You'll pick it up in no time. Don't be nervous - you'll be fine! Don't forget to claim travelling time for tomorrow. If you want to ask my anything send me a PM x
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72759
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

New starter

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its the best job I have ever had................... and I have had a few. :chuckle
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
ChoZanWan
Posts: 11
Joined: 03 Feb 2016, 17:52
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by ChoZanWan »

I've been working at RM for about a month now, and the job itself is fine. Ignoring the drama back at the office, and the battle to get questions answered by my line manager, it's still an improvement over my last job. As mentioned before, don't let them push you around. You'll find the OPGs (you as a postie) are generally a good laugh and are willing to help.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by dvbuk55 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its the best job I have ever had................... and I have had a few. :chuckle
No it's not TBT, the best job you had was in the green with a loaded weapon, but everyone gets too old eventually :Very Happy
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by Postie45 »

whether youll enjoy the job or not depends on how the office you go to is. Different offices can be like working at entirely different companies sometimes.
mjt120
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 53
Joined: 26 Oct 2015, 18:49
Gender: Male

New starter

Post by mjt120 »

How did you find your first day?