It is a reasonable request if someone gets asked to do something like the above, but the same 'reasonable request' isn't made across the board from time to time
Technically - Yes. There are 2 issues.
It's a reasonable request, but it's not applied in a fair way. A grievance would be the best way to address the issue if someone thought they were being treated unfairly.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts. Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility. If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
madmax1 wrote:
Is the above a national agreement or 'local' stuff? I'm on a 5hr/day 25hr contract. If the walk is 4 hours approx, then who decides what constitutes 30 mins prep (given I've got 30mins break)?
Today I was on a round I'd never done before, which was prepped bar the last 40 or 50 items of mail. However packets weren't started and there were 6 door to doors to put together & throw off, plus re-directions, let alone having to get help on loop/bundling order. Needless to say this took vastly longer than 30 mins (over 90!). Surely the most a 5hr reserve should be left to do is bundle, given they've theoretically only got 30 mins to get to the first delivery?!!! Should I be telling my DOM this, or just grinning and bearing it and either cutting of or claiming O/T?
Management ALWAYS try to take the Piss! They rely on you not knowing what you're entitled to. Personaly I'd do ALL the prep they've asked you to do ...and then just inform the DOM you've only got X amount of time left and what "Part" of the duty does he want you to deliver! If you want the overtime that's fine, but in the past PTers have worked over and whenit's time to pay up the DOM gives them some BS just to avoid paying (thus boosting his own bonus)! So make sure you're doing "Authorised" Overtime (and make a note of it in your Diary i.e Joe Bloggs said it was OK to claim Overtime)
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
It isn't an unreasonable request so yes. A certain portion of your contracted daily hours is allocated for indoor work, so if the DOM wants, they could have you exclusively prep D2D's for several walks during your allocated hours.