ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
-
rainbowwarrior72
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 431
- Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
I've done 24years and I say to all you less senior people whilst I understand how you feel Screw you I've earned my senority I done my time and it's one of the best things to come out from The New Way Forward in 2000. Besides transfers are very rare now 
-
Trolleyed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
Not quite done my first year yet so am obviously last in line in our office. I do have my own duty but it's part time. It's growing quickly as it incorporates an ongoing development. When it's large enough to be made full time i will most probably lose it. Sucks but that's the way it is. i won't be last forever and I can't see a fairer way really.
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
rainbowwarrior72 wrote:I've done 24years and I say to all you less senior people whilst I understand how you feel Screw you I've earned my senority I done my time and it's one of the best things to come out from The New Way Forward in 2000. Besides transfers are very rare now
also ft transfers are even rarer now as if you transfered to an office chanced are it would only be a pt vacancy availible as a pt staff member would get any ft vacancy before you were allowed to tf in
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
A few colleagues have looked into transfers. All of them are full time. They'd keep their seniority if they moved but would have to drop to a 24 hr contract. I think that's fair enough if it's a voluntary move, isn't it?
-
thewayforwardarse
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 05 Nov 2010, 17:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
don't worry about it , the way postmen are falling , failing or dying you will be soon up the ladder
-
Grahammatthews
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
Should be no seniority anyway I have done 26 years and wouldn't care if I lost it. Saying that makes no difference when u hold the position I do.
-
In The Know
- Posts: 50
- Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
Obvs trollGrahammatthews wrote:Should be no seniority anyway I have done 26 years and wouldn't care if I lost it. Saying that makes no difference when u hold the position I do.
-
Grahammatthews
- Posts: 12
- Joined: 22 Nov 2015, 19:50
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
Think what u like but it means nothing now. People get what they won't by saying they have a disability
-
lucky escape
- Posts: 13
- Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 21:48
- Gender: Female
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
I transferred 1 year ago from an office I had worked in for 11 years. I split with my civil partner who also worked in my previous office and has been there for 6 years. I did not want to go,I had good friends in and out of work there. I was in several clubs and groups and was very happy in the area. We tried to work together after our split but due to my ex's behaviour and the police being involved the management and I decided it was the best course of action.
I'm very happy in my new office,my workmates are very friendly and helpful towards me but we are going through a resign at the moment.I know that some of the staff below me are unhappy that I have now 'bumped' them down the list,but I did 3 years of collections before being given the chance to go full time. I then spent the next 8 years as a reserve,every tuesday off,no saturdays ever and being swapped last minute onto another duty. It's crap we all know that and even in this resign I don't think I'll even get a float job.
I guess what I'm trying to say is not everyone wants to transfer,it's not easy when it's not what you want to do and if,after 11 years of crappy dutys and crappy treatment, there's a tiny chance that I can sign for something that means I will know my day off before 2pm saturday every week them I'm gona bloody take it!
I'm very happy in my new office,my workmates are very friendly and helpful towards me but we are going through a resign at the moment.I know that some of the staff below me are unhappy that I have now 'bumped' them down the list,but I did 3 years of collections before being given the chance to go full time. I then spent the next 8 years as a reserve,every tuesday off,no saturdays ever and being swapped last minute onto another duty. It's crap we all know that and even in this resign I don't think I'll even get a float job.
I guess what I'm trying to say is not everyone wants to transfer,it's not easy when it's not what you want to do and if,after 11 years of crappy dutys and crappy treatment, there's a tiny chance that I can sign for something that means I will know my day off before 2pm saturday every week them I'm gona bloody take it!
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
When you transferred into the new office did you keep your full time hours or did you have to go part time until this resign?lucky escape wrote:I transferred 1 year ago from an office I had worked in for 11 years. I split with my civil partner who also worked in my previous office and has been there for 6 years. I did not want to go,I had good friends in and out of work there. I was in several clubs and groups and was very happy in the area. We tried to work together after our split but due to my ex's behaviour and the police being involved the management and I decided it was the best course of action.
I'm very happy in my new office,my workmates are very friendly and helpful towards me but we are going through a resign at the moment.I know that some of the staff below me are unhappy that I have now 'bumped' them down the list,but I did 3 years of collections before being given the chance to go full time. I then spent the next 8 years as a reserve,every tuesday off,no saturdays ever and being swapped last minute onto another duty. It's crap we all know that and even in this resign I don't think I'll even get a float job.
I guess what I'm trying to say is not everyone wants to transfer,it's not easy when it's not what you want to do and if,after 11 years of crappy dutys and crappy treatment, there's a tiny chance that I can sign for something that means I will know my day off before 2pm saturday every week them I'm gona bloody take it!
-
debs6363
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
- Gender: Female
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
I was of the understanding that although you do take your seniority with you if you transfer to another office, it doesn't come into play for the first six months.So if you transfer in January and there is a resign in April, you will be bottom of the list. But if the resign happens in July, your seniority counts.
I transferred a few years ago from an office I had been in for 9 years, to be nearer my mother who was terminally ill. It was my choice to move and I had to drop from full time hours to 30 hours a week for 8 months until a full time duty came up. It was a struggle coping on a part time salary, but you do what you have to do.
I'm sure that some of my colleagues noses were put out of joint when I transferred, worrying about their pick of annual leave and duties that come up for signing. But we don't make the rules, there are plenty of things that go on that we don't all see as being fair. One day those who see it as being unfair may find themselves in a position where they want/need to transfer. I wonder if they would want to use their right to seniority then?
I transferred a few years ago from an office I had been in for 9 years, to be nearer my mother who was terminally ill. It was my choice to move and I had to drop from full time hours to 30 hours a week for 8 months until a full time duty came up. It was a struggle coping on a part time salary, but you do what you have to do.
I'm sure that some of my colleagues noses were put out of joint when I transferred, worrying about their pick of annual leave and duties that come up for signing. But we don't make the rules, there are plenty of things that go on that we don't all see as being fair. One day those who see it as being unfair may find themselves in a position where they want/need to transfer. I wonder if they would want to use their right to seniority then?
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
your seniority applies from day 1, not a six month wait.debs6363 wrote:I was of the understanding that although you do take your seniority with you if you transfer to another office, it doesn't come into play for the first six months.So if you transfer in January and there is a resign in April, you will be bottom of the list. But if the resign happens in July, your seniority counts.
I transferred a few years ago from an office I had been in for 9 years, to be nearer my mother who was terminally ill. It was my choice to move and I had to drop from full time hours to 30 hours a week for 8 months until a full time duty came up. It was a struggle coping on a part time salary, but you do what you have to do.
I'm sure that some of my colleagues noses were put out of joint when I transferred, worrying about their pick of annual leave and duties that come up for signing. But we don't make the rules, there are plenty of things that go on that we don't all see as being fair. One day those who see it as being unfair may find themselves in a position where they want/need to transfer. I wonder if they would want to use their right to seniority then?
also why are people worried about their pick of annual leave because of your transfer? should have absolutely no bearing on it
-
debs6363
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 29
- Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 23:10
- Gender: Female
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
Because in our office, annual leave is given based on seniority. i.e. those who have been there the longest get first pick on annual leave
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
debs6363 wrote:Because in our office, annual leave is given based on seniority. i.e. those who have been there the longest get first pick on annual leave
annual leave is not allowed to done this way, it's specifically forbidden under national agreements
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: Keeping seniority when moving offices is wrong!!
That is an outrageous comment!Grahammatthews wrote:Think what u like but it means nothing now. People get what they won't by saying they have a disability