ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

Past couple of days been pretty much indoor work, with brief spells out in the van to do some packets.

Knee still gubbed (locked coming down the stairs at home this morning, luckily i live alone as the air was blue :shock: )

fit note expires late next week, think I need to try and see gp for another one as no doubt I'll be expected to do full delivery on a hilly steppy route, with double lapsing once my fit note expires, and to try and see if I can get appointment via OH assist.

:Boo hoo!
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by spiderj »

Mate...it needs rest... Or very light exercise...

See your gp before your fit note expires
I won
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

Got letter from hospital today, I should receive a letter for an appointment to see consultant within 12 weeks. Will try and see gp before current fit note expires, hopefully I'll be able to get a repeat fit note by asking the receptionist to get one from gp.

Ho and indeed hum, looks increasingly like my planned summer holiday adventures are going doon the cludgie :sad:
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by spiderj »

You can arrange a fit note by telephone mate
I won
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

Another 2 week fit note handed in today (backdated).

Also got letter from hospital, Ortho consultant surgeon thinks I may have damaged cartilage or ligament (knowing my luck, probably both), so wants me to have an MRI scan prior to him seeing me. X ray results from a couple of weeks ago came back with "Wear and Tear" as the diagnosis... :confused
flaminmoses
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 819
Joined: 05 Jul 2009, 14:17
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by flaminmoses »

I never took a chance with my knee.
Took 2 years to get to a point i can now walk fast on flat ground again with no niggles.

on stairs i have to be careful but luckily i dont come across too many at all anymore.

your dom is likely to not give a s**t.
as someone said earlier make sure you ask for every bit of paper work .
even every conversation with atos should be documented by them....

they tried to stitch me up but it back fired big time.....they will do it if they see an opportunity.

dont be clever thinking you will impress the boss by trying....i did that at first with my injury.....big mistake.
your knee is more important
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

Cheers flaminmoses.

As yet ATOS / OH Assist hasn't been involved. Just been going on the gp fit note for "indoor duties, no long walks". Hopefully NHS MRI scan will be forth coming, so I can see what's what. DOM suggested ice baths as a cure all ills! :roll:

SLightly concerned by you saying they tried to stitch you up? Does this mean i'm likely to face ill health retirement soon? :hmmmm
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by spiderj »

Not unless you're off long term or unable to do your contracted job mate.

Keep everything written to be safe. :thumbup
I won
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by fly-catchers »

spiderj wrote:Not unless you're off long term or unable to do your contracted job mate.

Keep everything written to be safe. :thumbup
What happens if you are able to do the delivery you signed up for. But in their wisdom they decide to add another 50 odd calls. And that is in addition to the 30 extra odd calls you do on lapsing. I know with my knee I can "cope" with my current delivery. But know I will not complete the delivery on heavier days if these 50 extra calls are added. As far as the DOM is concerned if I don't do all this new delivery I am to be considered unfit for delivery work! Talk about moving the goalposts!
spiderj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 969
Joined: 12 Apr 2013, 07:54
Gender: Male
Location: ctp

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by spiderj »

The Dom is NOT a doctor

Its up to you and your doctor what you CAN "cope" with. :cuppa
I won
Jono
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 14:04
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by Jono »

X-rays on suspected ligament damage will prove inconclusive and that's where the MRI will show the full extent of the damage...

I suffered ligament damage whilst playing football and the initial x-ray took that evening only showed a fracture of the tibial plateau and bone brusing so I thought 2 weeks rest and I would be fine.

When I returned to work two weeks later - DOM, his lino's etc thought I had been taking he p*ss with the time I had taken off due to my swift return - until the MRI results came back which showed a complete rupture of the ACL as well as extensive damage to the MCL, cartilage as well as the initial xray results. Woman at Atos said it was one of the worst knee injuries she had come across and recommended 12 weeks of intensive once a week physio which the company paid for - the DOM's face was a picture when he was told I would need every Wednesday off work for the next 3 months but it was needed in order to recover to an acceptable state without the need for surgery which came with a further 4-6 month layoff!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

Thanks for the reply Jono.

I got my x-ray results last week, which showed "wear and tear" which I think is gp speak for inconclusive!

Waiting on an MRI scan, I sent in the pre scan health questionnaire last week, so fingers crossed. Hope the MRI scan when I eventually get it doesn't show anything bad, but, I fear it is cartilage damage and ligament damage :sad:

Indoor prepping D2D's most of the day isn't much fun! :Boo hoo! But better that than being off on sick leave.

During your 12 weeks physio were you still out on delivery duty, or had ATOS put you on indoor work only?

As yet, ATOS haven't been involved in my case (next week will be start of 4th week on indoor duties), which I'm surprised about. Ho hum, another day of D2D prep tomorrow!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by datasaint »

Do you have a mail centre near to you?

You might want to consider a possible transfer there if it comes to it instead of taking IHR.
Jono
Posts: 35
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 14:04
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by Jono »

I started back on "light duties" (before I spoke to Atos) and within about a month I was allowed to do a driving (firms) delivery. Built up my hours steadily in accordance to Atos recommendation and rehab plan.

One piece of advice - dont rush your injury - only you will know when you are ready and dont feel pressured by management to return to normal any quicker than you are comfortable with - out of everything I think knees are about the worst injury with regards to healing time!
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Gubbed Knee - possible PCL tear! OH assist?

Post by greengiant »

:roll: Dom wants me to try a delivery on Saturday with aim of being back on a walk from Monday. Shame I'm supposed to be on a weeks annual leave starting from Monday!