ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Carlito wrote:Ok I'll ring HR and see what they say.
When you say only accrued 2.5 days what do you mean?
I cant explain it any easier - you only get a full years leave if you work a full year. If you only work a certain fraction then you are only entitled to the same fraction of your annual entitlement.
Carlito wrote:I'm owed 13 days from last years holidays entitlement so I must surely be entitled to claim that back but I can't see any way that I would owe them anything? The week I had off last week was from this years entitlement.Thanks
Thats why I said
what I wrote:However, they may be willing, if you are, to mitigate the amount you owe with some of the 13 days from last year.
So if you have had 5 days leave then they will either take that off last years entitlement leaving you with 8, plus any accrued leave from this year. Or they take the 5 days off this years, meaning you owe, which MIGHT come off last years entitlement as you carried it over.

Its complicated - speak to HR to get a definitive answer.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Carlito wrote: No the week I had off last week was from this years entitlement, I have recently booked 1 week in June and 1 week in July using last years entitlement and still have 3 days to book using last years owed holiday that is the 13 days I'm owed.
But you won't be here in June and July, but if you are you will have accrued more leave so the maths gets even more complicated.

If they have taken last weeks leave off this years entitlement and you leave before the end of may you will have used more leave this year than you're entitled to, so they MIGHT, take this off the days you carried forward and pay you the balance.

You know what I am going to say don't you.

ITS COMPLICATED SPEAK TO HR TO GET A SPECIFIC PERSONAL AND DEFINITIVE ANSWER.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

Thanks so much for your help it all sounds so complicated for something so simple!
I'll speak to HR in Monday and see what they say.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

Just an update that I spoke to HR and explained my situation they said that as I had a week off in April which is in the 2015/16 holidays then that 5 days will come off the 13 I am owed from last years owed holidays.
BUT I have accured about 3 days so far in this years entitlement so I should get about 11 days pay back if I do decide to leave.
Carlito
Posts: 31
Joined: 20 Feb 2011, 08:46
Gender: Male

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by Carlito »

Just an update if anyone can help?
I handed my notice in on Monday and got my pay slip today which had pay in lieu of Ann leave and about 2 days worth of pay.
1st thing is after handing my notice in on Monday I was surprised to see this already in my pay slip this week and 2nd as I am owed around 11 days pay why is there only about 2 days pay?
My last working day is Saturday so I still have 1 more pay slip to come.
Thanks
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: How to claim back owed annual leave after resigning?

Post by arnold cheshire »

Carlito wrote:Just an update if anyone can help?
I handed my notice in on Monday and got my pay slip today which had pay in lieu of Ann leave and about 2 days worth of pay.
1st thing is after handing my notice in on Monday I was surprised to see this already in my pay slip this week and 2nd as I am owed around 11 days pay why is there only about 2 days pay?
My last working day is Saturday so I still have 1 more pay slip to come.
Thanks
we dont work a week in hand although overtime is paid a week later