ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Porch delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

A2B wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote: Similar situation for houses that have newspaper boxes (or anything along those lines) that anyone can open to take the mail, it is your responsibility to leave all mail (including D2D and p739 cards) in a secure place.
Correct me if i'm wrong but all new build flats should have boxes outside, are we supposed to bring the mail back everyday?
Proper mail boxes need a key to open them, to get access to the mail inside. If the box clearly has no lock or it clearly open, so anyone has access to the mail, you are opening yourself up to disciplinary proceedings i.e. out of the door (P45).
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by Mightyaj »

Surely common sense needs to be used here! Just open that porch door and chuck it in!! The do gooders on here will tell you otherwise as "technically its wrong" but from near 20 years experience from being a postman I can tell you the majority will open that porch door. In fact I doubt a postman in my office would do otherwise!
A2B
Posts: 2033
Joined: 25 Feb 2009, 19:34
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by A2B »

If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure
the-hanz
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by the-hanz »

Mightyaj wrote:Surely common sense needs to be used here! Just open that porch door and chuck it in!! The do gooders on here will tell you otherwise as "technically its wrong" but from near 20 years experience from being a postman I can tell you the majority will open that porch door. In fact I doubt a postman in my office would do otherwise!
I'll use that as my defence then should I get disciplined? Cheers, lol
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

the-hanz wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
the-hanz wrote:Sorry. Even you are now confusing me, lol.

You originally said not to try opening a porch door but are now saying I should if I see an inner letter box... Which is it?... Sorry
Re-read what I said originally...

"If the house has a letterbox on the outer porch door, you do not touch the handle." :wink:
I see... bloody hell it's complicated.

One final scenario and I'm done... Many of the houses have their door bells / door knockers on the inner door. I shouldn't open the porch door to attempt to get an answer?
Now this one is a loaded question, one that managers might try and trip you up with during an investigation...

If when you have a parcel or signature item, you open the porch door to ring the door bell, what are you doing when there is only letters?

If every time they have a parcel, the porch door is always unlocked, do you ever post mail through the outer porch letterbox?

This is why if there is an outer porch door letterbox, that should be the delivery point, so when I have parcels I knock on that outer porch door (I do not try the handle). They will hear you, if they are in, if you knock loud enough.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Porch delivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mightyaj wrote:Surely common sense needs to be used here! Just open that porch door and chuck it in!! The do gooders on here will tell you otherwise as "technically its wrong" but from near 20 years experience from being a postman I can tell you the majority will open that porch door. In fact I doubt a postman in my office would do otherwise!

Yes common sense needs to be used
the-hanz wrote:
I have always been told that leaving mail / parcels in a porch with an unlocked but closed door is a "secure" delivery but recently a customer has complained that this was not secure and should not have been done.
So the common sense advice would be - to ignore the complaint and carry on as before. :hmmmm
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
the-hanz
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by the-hanz »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
the-hanz wrote:
IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
the-hanz wrote:Sorry. Even you are now confusing me, lol.

You originally said not to try opening a porch door but are now saying I should if I see an inner letter box... Which is it?... Sorry
Re-read what I said originally...

"If the house has a letterbox on the outer porch door, you do not touch the handle." :wink:
I see... bloody hell it's complicated.

One final scenario and I'm done... Many of the houses have their door bells / door knockers on the inner door. I shouldn't open the porch door to attempt to get an answer?
Now this one is a loaded question, one that managers might try and trip you up with during an investigation...

If when you have a parcel or signature item, you open the porch door to ring the door bell, what are you doing when there is only letters?

If every time they have a parcel, the porch door is always unlocked, do you ever post mail through the outer porch letterbox?

This is why if there is an outer porch door letterbox, that should be the delivery point, so when I have parcels I knock on that outer porch door (I do not try the handle). They will hear you, if they are in, if you knock loud enough.
Nice one. Thanks for your assistance.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by jimmynailsalive »

the-hanz wrote:Hi
I'm relatively new to the job so I'm sorry if this question has been asked / answered before.. I'm sure it has.

I have always been told that leaving mail / parcels in a porch with an unlocked but closed door is a "secure" delivery but recently a customer has complained that this was not secure and should not have been done.

OK, fair enough they've a right to complain but having looked at the walk today and other walks I have done, 90% of the houses have unlocked porches with letter boxes in the porch door. Many of these houses do not have a letter box on the inner "front door" so am I right in thinking that the mail should not be left at any of these properties? If so, it's going to make my walk extremely short.
Just ensure you go by the book for the complainer in future, guaranteed they'll be moaning at you next time you take a parcel back to the office rather than leave it in the porch, subject to it not being tracked! :thumbup
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

But.. "doorstepping" makes walks quicker; makes more achievable outdoors; less agro with lino about overtime and/or cutting off; more chance of better tips...

Until it all goes wrong.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72763
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Porch delivery

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

A2B wrote:If i can put the mail in the box then a thief can take it out, not seen one that is secure

But thats the customers choice, as is not locking their front door. But you opening the door is your choice.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by Mightyaj »

the-hanz wrote:
Mightyaj wrote:Surely common sense needs to be used here! Just open that porch door and chuck it in!! The do gooders on here will tell you otherwise as "technically its wrong" but from near 20 years experience from being a postman I can tell you the majority will open that porch door. In fact I doubt a postman in my office would do otherwise!
I'll use that as my defence then should I get disciplined? Cheers, lol
When you say someone complained..Did they just come to you and complain or did they go to the manager? Obviously you don't leave a parcel in the porch for that complainer again but otherwise I'd carry on! That's me personally but do it by the book if you don't feel happy about doing that!
wabbithunta
Posts: 872
Joined: 03 Oct 2007, 18:39
Gender: Male
Location: On Planet Earth... Unlike the people who run RM!

Re: Porch delivery

Post by wabbithunta »

Bugger..
That means I better look at taking pics of quite a few delivery points on our P&L delivery and inform management of the dilemma then.
Open porches, or rather porch doors that can be opened (not secured, as in not locked) these have letterboxes on both outer and inner doors. I either put mail through the outer door, if closed/locked. If open/unlocked then I put it through the inner door. Packets I leave in the "open" porch on the doorstep of the main door and shut the porch door afterwards. If the outer door is locked and there's no response, then I leave a card.

Does that mean I should do this with all mail/packets then?
Last edited by wabbithunta on 27 Feb 2015, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
"Better to die on your feet than live a life time on your knees"
the-hanz
Posts: 13
Joined: 27 Feb 2015, 16:34
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by the-hanz »

Mightyaj wrote:
the-hanz wrote:
Mightyaj wrote:Surely common sense needs to be used here! Just open that porch door and chuck it in!! The do gooders on here will tell you otherwise as "technically its wrong" but from near 20 years experience from being a postman I can tell you the majority will open that porch door. In fact I doubt a postman in my office would do otherwise!
I'll use that as my defence then should I get disciplined? Cheers, lol
When you say someone complained..Did they just come to you and complain or did they go to the manager? Obviously you don't leave a parcel in the porch for that complainer again but otherwise I'd carry on! That's me personally but do it by the book if you don't feel happy about doing that!
Complained to the manager. I couldn't get a straight answer though when I asked what should I have done? Lol
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by Mightyaj »

"So the common sense advice would be - to ignore the complaint and carry on as before. :hmmmm"

@Trueblueterrior

I'd like to think he'd have enough common sense not to do it to the same person!
Mightyaj
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 63
Joined: 09 Dec 2009, 21:25
Gender: Male

Re: Porch delivery

Post by Mightyaj »

"Complained to the manager. I couldn't get a straight answer though when I asked what should I have done? Lol"

Its seems you've have a bit of bad luck there! My manager would just say be careful with that individual!

Basically don't do it for the same person!

Also I'd like to add that I do not know what your round looks like or how rough the area is and again common sense needs to come in. If your round is in high crime area and lots of people coming past these porches then maybe just maybe I'd think otherwise but that's if your delivering to the bronxs.

Another thing to add is my advice I think is the common sense answer but not necessarily the right answer! If its doesn't feel right to you then don't do it!!