ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
slave
Posts: 433
Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 21:39
Location: North West

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by slave »

Actually enjoying this Christmas more than the last one, but then a different (better) DOM does make a difference!

Not having the Saturday off is rubbish, it could have been arranged, one day would not have made the economy crumble.
D2Ds on Christmas week is pure greed and pointless pressure on everyone to do extra work when it will be busy anyway. I really doubt anyone wants to look at advertising a few days before Christmas, they're either still working, all done and in the Christmas spirit or running round doing last minute shopping to give a toss about advertising.

As for the whinging gits, it's been busy at RM for years, what else would you expect? If you don't like it bugger off and get a job at McDonalds, Tesco or become a nurse or etc etc and then come back on here and tell us how much time off you get at Christmas. :cuppa
Chelseablue
Posts: 2227
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Chelseablue »

It's the door to door bit that annoys a lot of us . Why bother at all when we've only three days to do them , it's like there sayin let's p iss em off right till the end . There is absolutely no need in any of this rubbish on this week , every office shud just refuse to do em next week . Well done in boosting moral moya .
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by krussel »

Chelseablue wrote:It's the door to door bit that annoys a lot of us . Why bother at all when we've only three days to do them , it's like there sayin let's p iss em off right till the end . There is absolutely no need in any of this rubbish on this week , every office shud just refuse to do em next week . Well done in boosting moral moya .
I wonder if RM has charged extra for this service :hmmmm
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
Sir Henry
Posts: 1316
Joined: 24 Oct 2014, 00:33
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Sir Henry »

People whingeing about whingers whilst oblivious to their own whingeing. How delicious.
"A third of the world's farmland is now useless due to soil degradation, yet we still keep producing mouths to feed. And what's you answer to that? Energy saving lightbulbs?"
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Tuffers1875 »

This is my 28th Xmas with RM. I haven't liked Xmas for 28 years. A customer said to me today, "how's it going, I bet you've had enough haven't you." Yep, I said, I might stick this job until I get to 30 Xmas's then get a proper job said I as I turned and trudged down his drive. There must be more to life than this, surely?
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by arnold cheshire »

ziggy wrote:It has spoiled it for me. I'm sick of having pressure put on us to work late delivering parcels so that other people's Christmas isn't "ruined" but there is never any acknowledgement that it's Christmas for us too. We have shopping to do, meals to plan and a life to be getting on with :arrrghhh

Most people I know finish the day before Christmas Eve and are off for at least a week and a half, we get two grudged days. Even some of the public seem annoyed that we get Boxing Day off :confused
Not sure about other places but in our DO there is not an ounce of Christmas spirit, most people just want it over with.

Also the last thing I want to do when I get home is write out bloody Christmas cards lol. I'm not all bah humbug about it though :Very Happy I do thoroughly enjoy all the family getting together for the big day, we do have a great time with plenty grub, plenty booze and plenty giggles. At that point work is a distant memory :nana
missort run ?
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by Barbel »

Yes it does a bit. I remember when I worked in an office we'd be finishing today and have 2 weeks off. We'd go for Xmas lunch and have a pub crawl and everyone was feeling festive. Now you dread going into work because of the pressure, no festivities or going out to celebrate, just everyone peed off because of the work load. And having just 2 days off doesn't exactly fill you with the joys of Christmas either.
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by arnold cheshire »

Barbel wrote:Yes it does a bit. I remember when I worked in an office we'd be finishing today and have 2 weeks off. We'd go for Xmas lunch and have a pub crawl and everyone was feeling festive. Now you dread going into work because of the pressure, no festivities or going out to celebrate, just everyone peed off because of the work load. And having just 2 days off doesn't exactly fill you with the joys of Christmas either.
i loved xmas at the factory i worked at in 1989 now i hate working up to xmas
ziggy
Posts: 114
Joined: 10 Jul 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male
Location: Back o Beyond

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by ziggy »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:
ziggy wrote:It has spoiled it for me. I'm sick of having pressure put on us to work late delivering parcels so that other people's Christmas isn't "ruined" but there is never any acknowledgement that it's Christmas for us too. We have shopping to do, meals to plan and a life to be getting on with :arrrghhh

Most people I know finish the day before Christmas Eve and are off for at least a week and a half, we get two grudged days. Even some of the public seem annoyed that we get Boxing Day off :confused
Not sure about other places but in our DO there is not an ounce of Christmas spirit, most people just want it over with.

Also the last thing I want to do when I get home is write out bloody Christmas cards lol. I'm not all bah humbug about it though :Very Happy I do thoroughly enjoy all the family getting together for the big day, we do have a great time with plenty grub, plenty booze and plenty giggles. At that point work is a distant memory :nana
missort run ?
You've lost me :d'oh!
Ziggy
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4123
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by ted_e_bear »

Yes at one point a few years ago I loved it too, used to work in the building industry, was hard graft most of the year but winding down to Christmas was great,finish after doing just about fek all on last day then pub with the lads for an afternoon of banter paid for by the boss.

Having said that my first few years at RM weren't too bad,workload wasn't horrendous like now, managed to get out with mates Xmas eve lunchtime, but now quite frankly I hate it.
beezet
Posts: 93
Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 18:56
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by beezet »

We used to have christmas raffle ,top prize was an extra week off, used to send one out for bacon butties and we would all stop to eat them, decorations up, lots of laughter, now no ones smiling,we are all knackered, and the bit that gets me most , is the only time dom comes out of office is now, whistleing and singing christmas jingles :evil/mad must be best bonus ever, he will not let us start earlyer this year as well :crazy:
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by masterblaster »

Yes.
Knackered after 3.5 hrs rush prep and 6 hour delivery.
Bed by 9pm.
Must get a job driving a mail centre van and parking up for hours on end and getting a kip. (Pictures to follow if required).
rhino49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1644
Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
Gender: Male
Location: At home with my feet up

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by rhino49 »

This my first Christmas in retirement and I am beginning to see what the fun side of it is all about. Did 19 Christmas's as a postie and 30 in retail before that and can honestly say that posties have a terrible time of it - at least other service business's such as pubs, shops and restaurants create atmosphere and get their staff into the mood, whilst RM has gradually eroded all but the work aspect of Christmas.It seems that the only mood created for the delivery business's and particularly RM is a stressed and sombre one. The only recovery time now appears to be holidays because having an easy day is a rare option.

My best wishes go out to you all - you ARE appreciated and deserve better.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by dvbuk55 »

bringon4dayweeks wrote:i loved xmas at the factory i worked at in 1989 now i hate working up to xmas
Wow I'd love to go back to 1989 I would have been 43 the world was a much better place. I was certainly poorer but in many respects happier because life was more of a struggle and a challenge and there was a feeling of achievement in creating a family Christmas for 3 kids on a limited budget and seeing their faces light up having managed to get the gifts they wanted. Isn't nostalgia wonderful :Very Happy
postypie
Posts: 435
Joined: 18 Mar 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Do you think working for RM kills the joy of Christmas

Post by postypie »

There is no Christmas spirit at Royal Mail nowadays...even our managers cannot be bothered to put up our lethargic looking Christmas tree this year...not one merry Christmas yet from any customer...just the usual ..you are late today...where is the regular postie...I bet you are busy this time of year...yes the great British public basically doesn't seem to give a toss about us..much like our managers who by the time physically shattered and mentally drained staff get back from their park and loops late into the afternoons these very same managers are either in the pub or long gone!
Happy New Year folks.