ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Filling up vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Filling up vans

Post by Lounge Lizard »

rubberbond wrote:Not supposed to use the expensive diesel either,just the standard stuff,as they get charged a cheaper price for it.
Plenty of 'red diesel' about on the farms. :no no
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by dave72 »

Only I use the van so I can only moan at myself :silenced

Saying that, I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on :arrrghhh

Our main office has its own diesel pump, but our SPDO is 8 miles away
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Filling up vans

Post by Lounge Lizard »

dave72 wrote:Only I use the van so I can only moan at myself :silenced

Saying that, I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on :arrrghhh

Our main office has its own diesel pump, but our SPDO is 8 miles away
Some SPDOs have fuel cards for the local garage.
Some SPDOs fill up from the diesel pump at the main Delivery Office.
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by Bahia Feliz »

dave72 wrote:I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on
What is the 're-gen' light please?
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Filling up vans

Post by DGP1 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on
What is the 're-gen' light please?
It's only the new vans that suffer from this, it's the diesel particulate burner in the exhaust that needs re generated every few hours/days.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by dave72 »

Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on
What is the 're-gen' light please?
Fiat Doblo vans need the engine cleaning every 80 miles-ish. Takes 10 minutes for it to do, revs the engine 2000 for 10 minutes. Looks very professional parked up streetside with then bonnet up and it revving its nuts off

All because they wouldn't pay for the £100 filter
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by rubberbond »

OnAFlyer wrote:
J Whiteside wrote:Our vans are filled every Tuesday and Friday so are never low on fuel
Ours only needs filling every 3-4 weeks, it's 5 years old and has done less than 12,000 miles!
Would you buy it?
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by rubberbond »

dave72 wrote:
Bahia Feliz wrote:
dave72 wrote:I usually come back from my day off to the bloody re-gen light on
What is the 're-gen' light please?
Fiat Doblo vans need the engine cleaning every 80 miles-ish. Takes 10 minutes for it to do, revs the engine 2000 for 10 minutes. Looks very professional parked up streetside with then bonnet up and it revving its nuts off

All because they wouldn't pay for the £100 filter
Or buy petrol vans.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by toomuchcoke »

dave72 wrote:Fiat Doblo vans need the engine cleaning every 80 miles-ish. Takes 10 minutes for it to do, revs the engine 2000 for 10 minutes. Looks very professional parked up streetside with then bonnet up and it revving its nuts off
Does depend on usage, if you're lucky and get a nice 70mph^W60mph blast down a dual carriageway at the right point it'll clean itself. Worst case it happens just after you've done a large amount of walking on a cold day and first you have to manually rev it to 2-3000rpm to get the engine warmed up enough that it will re-gen. Plus I'm sure everyone always put the bonnet up first right? :no no
dave72 wrote:All because they wouldn't pay for the £100 filter
Probably wasted more than that in fuel by now, but I don't think Royal Mail management really get the concept of "total cost of ownership"? (Though if I'm being fair, I'll concede they're hardly unique in this.)
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Filling up vans

Post by dave72 »

toomuchcoke wrote:
dave72 wrote:Fiat Doblo vans need the engine cleaning every 80 miles-ish. Takes 10 minutes for it to do, revs the engine 2000 for 10 minutes. Looks very professional parked up streetside with then bonnet up and it revving its nuts off
Does depend on usage, if you're lucky and get a nice 70mph^W60mph blast down a dual carriageway at the right point it'll clean itself. Worst case it happens just after you've done a large amount of walking on a cold day and first you have to manually rev it to 2-3000rpm to get the engine warmed up enough that it will re-gen. Plus I'm sure everyone always put the bonnet up first right? :no no
My van is on retention and I take it down the motorway everyday there and back and hit 60mph on a 15 mile round trip. Still needs re-genning every week :arrrghhh

We've also tried the revving, still no joy :thumbdown

Oh, and the re-gen can only be done when the temp gauge is halfway. I know you're supposed to do the re-gen straight away but I do it at the end of the shift while emptying the van off now :whistle
maisymoo04
Posts: 2226
Joined: 07 Apr 2010, 17:11
Gender: Male
Location: You dont want to no

Re: Filling up vans

Post by maisymoo04 »

maisymoo04 wrote:Doesn't bother me I just bang £107 in me van every week using me shell drivers card ,points make prizes spesh when u put nitro diesel in triple points :whistle :nana
Just a little up date on this nitro diesel chaps :nervous got pulled in the other day by dim , maisy a email has been sent from fleet services , had my reg the lot CAN YOU PLEASE TELL THE DELIVERY PERSON TO STOP USING NITRO DIESEL TO FILL UP HIS VAN AS THIS IS COSTING THE BUISNESS , COULD YOU PLEASE USE REGULER DIESEL THANKYOU :chuckle :whistle there goes me triple points :left:
"Some day I will have the bottle to take the money"