don't they call every hour to ask when you'll be back?
pretty sure they'd twig the funny dial tone, and don't think not answering at all will bode well either.
is it really a once in a lifetime trip that's worth risking your job for?
yeah it's pretty crap now to put it mildly, but have you looked at the jobs page lately
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL?
-
korky
- Posts: 797
- Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28
-
48ricks
- Posts: 22
- Joined: 12 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
“No one ever said on their deathbed ‘I wish I’d spent more time at the office.’ ” - Harold Kushner
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
Yeah, I've already thought about that. Obviously I'd have to go for something that would negate them doing that. Obviously having a sick note the entire week would work, but I'm really not up to faking it at the doctors. Even I have my limits.korky wrote:don't they call every hour to ask when you'll be back?
pretty sure they'd twig the funny dial tone, and don't think not answering at all will bode well either.
is it really a once in a lifetime trip that's worth risking your job for?
yeah it's pretty crap now to put it mildly, but have you looked at the jobs page lately
Is it a once in a lifetime thing? Not really, but it's something I want to do. We work this shitty job so we can do stuff in our down time, so what the hell is the point if you can't get that down time? That's how I see it.
It's a catch 22 situation. I've been saying since 2013 that I'd drop this job without a whimper, and with my savings, I could go on for quite a while because I've never really been a spender. Now that I want to spend and go places, I could use the job, even though I hate it with every waking breath and still wouldn't give a tinker's toss if I got the sack.
Perhaps the thing to do is play it straight, and beg about every option I have. If not, I guess I can at least ask the Lino where I'll stand. He's a partially amiable sort of guy. If he says there will definitely be action brought against me for abandonment, then I'll just resign.
-
Edward Hunter
- Posts: 680
- Joined: 23 May 2007, 22:30
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
you are just a pawn in a massive organisation that cares not one jot about you.Every postman i know has gone sick with spurious reasons. Weigh up the risks and make your choice. Tbh without proof that you sickness is not genuine they can do very little. Even if you come back with a nice tan!
-
stevo302
- Posts: 46
- Joined: 13 Mar 2008, 13:54
Re: Run out of annual leave. Other options before going AWOL
True, though I believe the rules state that you are to be in a contactable state and must be available for any reasonable request for inquiry about your sickness.Edward Hunter wrote:you are just a pawn in a massive organisation that cares not one jot about you.Every postman i know has gone sick with spurious reasons. Weigh up the risks and make your choice. Tbh without proof that you sickness is not genuine they can do very little. Even if you come back with a nice tan!
Self cert has always been such a grey area. Let's say you self cert yourself for a week on stress/depression leave and part of 'alleviating' that is to go away for a week. Short of a polygraph, I agree, proof that your 'illness' is disingenuous is hard to come by.