ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
better deal for delivey staff
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
I assume the o.p. was referring more to a better deal for delivery staff compared to other sectors of RM rather than comparing with other jobs out side of RM.
On this I can only agree... working conditions in MC's and MDEC etc are more akin to something like the days of Red Robbo in the 1970's, yet for some reason RM management keep on turning a blind eye to these areas and instead just relentlessly hammer deliveries for more and more 'efficiency' .
On this I can only agree... working conditions in MC's and MDEC etc are more akin to something like the days of Red Robbo in the 1970's, yet for some reason RM management keep on turning a blind eye to these areas and instead just relentlessly hammer deliveries for more and more 'efficiency' .
-
philsdeals19
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 29 Jul 2010, 17:44
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Try living where the average house price is £270,000+ and cheapest 3 bedroom house is £850 PCM for rent. Ok if you live up north.elm24 wrote:Depends on where in the country you live certain cities especially in England must be a nightmare. Certainly dont see many guys in our area who have been in 10 years plus struggling.philsdeals19 wrote:It's a great wage if you are single or live with mum and dad as most do. You have a wife and a couple of kids and a mortgage then see how great the wage is and no chance of overtime.Darren Bent wrote:Don't think the paid is that good either, I mean it will be hard for me to buy a house with the pay and mortgages. But it is better paid than lot of services jobs ie Cleaners, cook, sales assistant and more. Ten years ago I used to work as web designer and only get 12,000 a year so it is not that bad.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
If you turn that one around Phil, there is no way that us northerners can ever afford to move down south and we will never have the opportunity to cash in on our equity and move to somewhere where property is cheaper and bang a bundle in the bank when we get to or near retirement, so there are always pluses and minuses in every situation.philsdeals19 wrote:Try living where the average house price is £270,000+ and cheapest 3 bedroom house is £850 PCM for rent. Ok if you live up north.elm24 wrote:Depends on where in the country you live certain cities especially in England must be a nightmare. Certainly dont see many guys in our area who have been in 10 years plus struggling.philsdeals19 wrote:It's a great wage if you are single or live with mum and dad as most do. You have a wife and a couple of kids and a mortgage then see how great the wage is and no chance of overtime.Darren Bent wrote:Don't think the paid is that good either, I mean it will be hard for me to buy a house with the pay and mortgages. But it is better paid than lot of services jobs ie Cleaners, cook, sales assistant and more. Ten years ago I used to work as web designer and only get 12,000 a year so it is not that bad.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Yes, we could sell our house down here and buy two up North in some places, or a much bigger one. Then again we'd have to live in the piss-poor climate and get rickets and have a reduced life expectancy. Then again we'd have some decent football sides nearby and cheaper beer. It's all relative. When push comes to shove we all manage, and get there in the end. There's no choice.
Back to the real subject, even in my relatively brief career as a postie I am seeing it slowly get harder and finding the stress levels increasing almost weekly. The new regime seems to be slowly stripping any comfort-zone we had slowly but surely away by increasing pressure and workload. I am fit but am finding any spare time just too painful to do a lot, as I am knackered and resting. I seldom have the energy to go out on a Saturday night now. So, yes I seriously doubt if other indoor-based staff or drivers etc. are hurting anywhere near how we do physically, and I have done both jobs and will readily confirm that their quality of life is better if getting the same money.
Back to the real subject, even in my relatively brief career as a postie I am seeing it slowly get harder and finding the stress levels increasing almost weekly. The new regime seems to be slowly stripping any comfort-zone we had slowly but surely away by increasing pressure and workload. I am fit but am finding any spare time just too painful to do a lot, as I am knackered and resting. I seldom have the energy to go out on a Saturday night now. So, yes I seriously doubt if other indoor-based staff or drivers etc. are hurting anywhere near how we do physically, and I have done both jobs and will readily confirm that their quality of life is better if getting the same money.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Love it busted. Get your fat southern ass up here and enjoy some of the invigorating fresh air we have in these beautiful moors and dales. You will know what walking is about when you have done a few walks up here. Keeps you fit and the old ticker alive.
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
why.lcook282 wrote:agree we should be payed more than indoor mail centre staff etc
-
rick184
- Posts: 62
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Lots of people moaning about the company and the job but in my DO there is very little turnover of staff. If it's THAT bad leave. Why put yourself through the utter misery every day?
-
2pints
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
The pay is good.I live up north and most jobs are minimum wage and alot of them are harder work than a postie.I like my job,granted i have only done a year and a half but i enjoy being outside and managing my own time and i keep my head down and get on with it in the office and ignore all the politics.
-
Lincox
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 3485
- Joined: 09 Jan 2008, 18:07
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Manage your own time 
-
Regal
- Posts: 132
- Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 13:34
- Gender: Male
- Location: Yorkshire
Re: better deal for delivey staff
I believe we should get more holiday time off.....Another two weeks would do,,,,in order to rest these aching bones!
Tomorrow Never Knows
-
Lord Hereford
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Easier said than done when there are bills to pay! I'd leave tomorrow if I could afford to, but I'll just have to wait until I find another job. I'm actively looking, but there's not much out there at the moment.rick184 wrote:Lots of people moaning about the company and the job but in my DO there is very little turnover of staff. If it's THAT bad leave. Why put yourself through the utter misery every day?
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Well we don't have the cultural advantages you do in the sarf, no opera houses, no art galleries, no museums, no Union Headquarters, no street vendors flogging knock off gear, no theatres performing musicals and dramas, no strip clubs (for the less culturally inclined) - you get the drift, we live in hovels in the north and are really culturally deprivedphilsdeals19 wrote: Ok if you live up north.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
If you need to ask you've never been in deliveries in the last 5 years.aiden01 wrote:why.lcook282 wrote:agree we should be payed more than indoor mail centre staff etc![]()
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Think of it like this, we on delivery are the professional football players with all the talent but also the physical challenges, the injuries and the short careers, we should be well paid to reflect that.aiden01 wrote:why.lcook282 wrote:agree we should be payed more than indoor mail centre staff etc![]()
You're the kit man who washes the sweaty shorts.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Re: better deal for delivey staff
Also once you have worked your contracted hours you should be on overtime rate,none of this working 39 hrs before you get overtime rate.Sickness rules ought to be differant for delivery staff as well,for example it isn't much of a hardship working in mail centre with plantar facilitis but it's bloody hard and painful to do a walking duty with it,also possible to work in a mail centre with the sh1tes,but impossible to do a walking delivery with it.
For we were soldiers once,and young