ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

official: doorstep all parcels ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
pyphon
Posts: 231
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: North East England

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by pyphon »

Leave at post office that counts as first time delivery, use local collect option for the sign for items.
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by postslippete »

The problem is some tracked parcels actually require a signature!!


Unless it states on the parcel a safe place for the customer (and take that with a pinch of salt), just slip it...
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by Postie45 »

leaving packets on the doorstep is all well and good until something goes missing then the next doorstep you`ll see is the job centres.
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by trythat »

Hitcher wrote:Not our problem - RM has strict doorstepping rules so they can't have it both ways.
Totally agree, we've always been told that doorstepping is a sackable offence. As others have said get your DOM to put it in writing, or ask him where he got that statement from.

When it comes to targets, then it's not your fault if the office doesn't reach them, I have this conversation ofton in my resource meetings, and as long as OPG follow RM guidelines then there's nothing the DOM can do. Also might be worth getting your Rep to email his ADR and Branch Secretary and see what they have to say.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by OnAFlyer »

It's black and white. If there's a Safeplace printed on the tracked then you can leave it there with no reprisals to you should anything go wrong. If there's nothing printed on it then you don't leave it anywhere other than a neighbour if you think it's safe.
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by postslippete »

Talking of black and white, and no not jesse the cat...


I used to leave parcels for months for a neighbour in her blue bin. That was because she had a notice on her door informing posties to leave it in the bin round the back. A little bit silly as it encourages thief's I imagine. I would also leave a red slip telling her where her parcel was aswell (my mistake)

Because one day she rang customer services because one of her parcels wasn't in the bin. I told the lino, but he didn't seem very convinced, so I went and took a picture of her front door. Phew! the notice was still there....

I don't know what happened or how customer services resolved the situation as we humble posties don't always get informed of how the matter was resolved. We are so busy on the shop floor doing other stuff anyway.

But it was one of the rare occasions where I wished I never slip left!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Hitcher
Posts: 1537
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by Hitcher »

You shouldn't even be putting it in the bin - note or no note!
rick184
Posts: 62
Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 21:10

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by rick184 »

RM Tracked CAN be delivered to neighbour, only leave in a Safeplace if it's shown on the label. NEVER Doorstep any item.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by Postie45 »

rick184 wrote:RM Tracked CAN be delivered to neighbour, only leave in a Safeplace if it's shown on the label. NEVER Doorstep any item.
what is a "safeplace" ? ive never had any training on what is and what isnt safe. IMO if its left somewhere which isnt secured by a lock, then it isnt safe.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by OnAFlyer »

Postie45 wrote:
rick184 wrote:RM Tracked CAN be delivered to neighbour, only leave in a Safeplace if it's shown on the label. NEVER Doorstep any item.
what is a "safeplace" ? ive never had any training on what is and what isnt safe. IMO if its left somewhere which isnt secured by a lock, then it isnt safe.
It's whatever the specified place printed on the tracked parcel is. The customer has nominated that as a Safeplace, you don't have to leave it if you think it isn't but there are no comebacks to you if you just do what it says.

Those that just say 'safeplace' I rarely leave anywhere unless there is somewhere obviously safe, which isn't very often.
Tuffers1875
Posts: 146
Joined: 14 Nov 2012, 15:27
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by Tuffers1875 »

rick184 wrote:RM Tracked CAN be delivered to neighbour, only leave in a Safeplace if it's shown on the label. NEVER Doorstep any item.

Is door stepping the same as leaving an item in an open porch? :crazy:

Too many airy fairy rules with this tin pot company I'm afraid. :cuppa
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by bigcol »

OnAFlyer wrote:Those that just say 'safeplace' I rarely leave anywhere unless there is somewhere obviously safe, which isn't very often.
These items are not to be 'safeplaced'. What you've been doing is door stepping. :no no
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by 5plusbonusball »

All it takes is a d2d from rm containing a sticker saying "I am happy to take my neighbour's parcels" or "take my parcels back" rather than them having to order one, then they can use it or bin it. I'm now a nono with neighbour knocking.
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
postslippete
Posts: 4202
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by postslippete »

Hitcher wrote:You shouldn't even be putting it in the bin - note or no note!


Yes I know :oops:

Admittedly, when we did our own deliveries in cars I used to like to get rid of all the packets I had otherwise it meant driving to the nearest post office, or even worst, back to CDO.

Now because we don't need to, and I can't see the point of delivering next door unnecessarily, I just slip it.

What is my name called??
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: official: doorstep all parcels ?

Post by OnAFlyer »

bigcol wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:Those that just say 'safeplace' I rarely leave anywhere unless there is somewhere obviously safe, which isn't very often.
These items are not to be 'safeplaced'. What you've been doing is door stepping. :no no
Obviously safe = lockable porch, outbuilding etc. I leave my own porch unlocked and the postie puts the parcels in then closes it to lock.

So no, that's not door stepping.