ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

meal relief

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
dannyboy
Posts: 37
Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 08:12

Re: meal relief

Post by dannyboy »

if I was to make my break before going out I would have to work 7 hours 20 without a break
ganda
Posts: 131
Joined: 16 Dec 2011, 22:24
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by ganda »

dannyboy wrote:where do you have your 40 minutes if you are on a hybrid of 8 hours.only place is in van not ideal but only option
Sorry Dannyboy, not sure what a hybrid duty is. Surely your delivery span isn't eight hours long? Take your break before you go on delivery?
mlw
Posts: 182
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by mlw »

fishtank wrote:
mlw wrote:I refused to have break in van
From this month's CWU Voice..

Breaks in a van?
I cannot believe that today, in the 21st Century, this union advocatesmembers taking breaks in their van! Trade unions were set up to protect workers – not deny them basic
human rights like being able to use the toilet and wash your hands! Your forebears must be positively spinning in their graves.
Cathy Balding, Southend-on-Sea

Assistant secretary Bob Gibson responds:
“There is nothing new in people taking breaks, whilst out on delivery, in their vans. Rural duties have been doing this for a long time now, as it was not convenient nor time efficient for individuals to return to their office in order to take a break. However, you are incorrect when you say that basic human rights are denied. In the BT 2010 Agreement provision was made for welfare facilities to be identified on every single delivery route in the country, or on adjacent routes. As part of the revisions process contained within that agreement, CWU area health & safety reps would have ensured that this was done before signing off the safety aspects of the process. If this is not the case in your particular situation you should contact your branch secretary. Another option of course is to take all of your meal relief
before you leave the office on delivery.”
Yes i did read this as regards to the above process nothing has happened at our office just dom saying about are break i am happy with 20 mins b4 going out as is my partner dom has said about break in van but i am not comfortable with this he has not pushed this yet but if he does i can use the above but i still do not think we should have a break in the van surely with our weather you cant be comfortable sitting in a van? it just does not make sense with our job with 2 people in a van
dannyboy
Posts: 37
Joined: 29 Aug 2007, 08:12

Re: meal relief

Post by dannyboy »

my hybrid is a six hour delivery with a two hour collection added to it on a deep rural delivery hope that explains it
martinmc82
Posts: 12
Joined: 15 May 2012, 14:41
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by martinmc82 »

So I start at 6:30 but am expected to take a break an hour and a half after I start. That's crazy so I take 10 mins half way round and another 10 mins at my mums who lives on my round when I stop to get my lunch then the 20 mins at the end. Works well for me! Union rep don't like it but don't care at least I am having my break unlike some people in the office. :Very Happy
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The discussion of taking MR at the end of your duty came up today............... We know the H&S implications and that the CWU are pushing for everyone to actually take their Meal Reliefs.

Having said that the old chestnut of, " If I don't take that 40 mins MR during my delivery why can't I claim it at the end, and go home 40 mins early"? came up. The Manager said, " I'm not paying MR at the end of the duty it's a H&S issue, you've got to take it during the duty, I'd get into trouble over it". The Postie replied, "So if I'd taken my MR and come back 40 mins late you would have paid the Pressure OT"? "Yeah that would have been OK" ;liar

When it was pointed out that Postie "A" and Postie "B" always come back smack on the start of their MR and knock off, his position seemed to change. "We'll they don't claim any overtime"! So it's obviously NOT a H&S issue it's obviously a Budget/I want my Bonus Issue! ;liar
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Bahia Feliz
Posts: 1169
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by Bahia Feliz »

martinmc82 wrote: Union rep don't like it
Why doesn't your union rep like it? What's it got to do with him?
Like you say,at least you are taking your break unlike some!