ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

how much money does lapsing save?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: how much money does lapsing save?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

steve1873 wrote: I intend having a discussion with either my DOM or lino tomorrow and letting them know that in future I will not refuse to lapse BUT I will take it on the proviso that it will be done last... IF time allows. I will be happy to follow the correct procedure and let them know at the soonest opportunity if I need to bring it back undelivered, but I am not going to be forced in to going over my time every single day, simply so that they can tick a box and are unable to deal with the slack in the office in the proper manner.

correct procedure is to do it in the order your DOM tells you, not the way you want to(its his choice not yours), and then follow the correct cutting off procedure, i would also recommend taking you last break during your shift and not at the end of you day
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

Re: how much money does lapsing save?

Post by steve1873 »

zx135 wrote:
steve1873 wrote: I intend having a discussion with either my DOM or lino tomorrow and letting them know that in future I will not refuse to lapse BUT I will take it on the proviso that it will be done last... IF time allows. I will be happy to follow the correct procedure and let them know at the soonest opportunity if I need to bring it back undelivered, but I am not going to be forced in to going over my time every single day, simply so that they can tick a box and are unable to deal with the slack in the office in the proper manner.

correct procedure is to do it in the order your DOM tells you, not the way you want to(its his choice not yours), and then follow the correct cutting off procedure, i would also recommend taking you last break during your shift and not at the end of you day
Ok then, it will still be taken on the proviso that it (it being completion of both the lapsing and the delivery I am on) will be done if time allows.

I usually take half my break prior to leaving office and half again between our 2 p&l deliveries (there is a perfect location in between both with bathroom facilities and a shop). However, now that I am being put here, there and everywhere then It isn't as easy to plan where & when to have the remainder of break, especially since I am working with someone new on a daily basis.

Regarding the lapsing - one of the most frustrating aspects is that they will come round to allocate your bit usually very early on - how are you supposed to know if you will have the time that early in the day? Another trick I have found them using is they will usually only approach 1 of the p&l partners and assume that since they have gotten their "agreement" that both p&l partners agree that there is time to lapse.

It was my understanding that lapsing was only to be done if time allowed it - the fact that on arrival back at the office both yesterday and today pretty much on the dot of finishing time and around half the van bays were empty would suggest that the scope to lapse did not exist either yesterday or today. A point I will also be bringing to their attention (I am not a rep btw lol). Now the vans that were back - many will have been back with 30 mins to an hour before their finishing times (runners, non-break takers etc.) so I can understand the perception that some vans back mean their is slack and there may well be, but nowhere near the amount to make lapsing 5 duties every day achievable.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: how much money does lapsing save?

Post by Postie45 »

Ok then, it will still be taken on the proviso that it (it being completion of both the lapsing and the delivery I am on) will be done if time allows.


- Yes
I usually take half my break prior to leaving office and half again between our 2 p&l deliveries (there is a perfect location in between both with bathroom facilities and a shop). However, now that I am being put here, there and everywhere then It isn't as easy to plan where & when to have the remainder of break, especially since I am working with someone new on a daily basis.
- Then take your full break prior to leaving office
Regarding the lapsing - one of the most frustrating aspects is that they will come round to allocate your bit usually very early on - how are you supposed to know if you will have the time that early in the day?
- You tell them you dont know if you`ll have time. Make them make the decision or come back to you later at a time when you will be able to tell them if you will have time or not.
Another trick I have found them using is they will usually only approach 1 of the p&l partners and assume that since they have gotten their "agreement" that both p&l partners agree that there is time to lapse.
- What another person agrees is not binding to you. Maybe talk to the p&l partner first thing and agree not to agree to any lapsing until you both know you will have time.
It was my understanding that lapsing was only to be done if time allowed it
- Yes, we are all contracted to a certain amount of hours per week, once those are fulfilled there is no time for extra without agreement from yourself.
-
the fact that on arrival back at the office both yesterday and today pretty much on the dot of finishing time and around half the van bays were empty would suggest that the scope to lapse did not exist either yesterday or today. A point I will also be bringing to their attention
- are people staying out and working for free ?
Now the vans that were back - many will have been back with 30 mins to an hour before their finishing times (runners, non-break takers etc.) so I can understand the perception that some vans back mean their is slack and there may well be, but nowhere near the amount to make lapsing 5 duties every day achievable
- this is a management issue, if they want to lapse 5 duties per day and some people are STILL coming back an hour before time, then these people can clearly handle doing even more lapsing (maybe yours seeing as you dont have time)
bluealbert
Posts: 176
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 16:13
Gender: Male

Re: how much money does lapsing save?

Post by bluealbert »

eastie wrote:In our office we have been hiring a van at £13,000 a year for the last 4 years yet they dispute the odd 30 mins overtime
Why do this ? £52,000 for the last 4 yrs ? You could buy 4 vans I smell bullshit :left: :hmmmm