ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by blakeyboy »

You on the wind up Pauly q?
GoingRoundTheBend
Posts: 108
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 20:09
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by GoingRoundTheBend »

Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today

My lino came out with the same thing, so I thought ok i'll play your game and when I got back I told him I would be in the next day 1 1/2 hours later. He soon changed his mind and booked my overtime infront of me and said come in on your normal start time :arrrghhh
mlw
Posts: 182
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by mlw »

PaulyQ wrote:Fair days pay for a fair days work - Surely ?

Work 6 hours on day off - get paid for it. Not paid 5 hours or 7 hours... 6 hours.
Not worth coming in then as ot rate is crap they need to start paying time and a half or no chance of me working day off
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by PaulyQ »

So don't come in... simples!!

Let somebody else who wants the overtime do it.

Royal Mail is not an open docket, it's a business, actually it's YOUR business, you've got shares in it. The more you rip it off, the more you rip yourself off!! I've never worked in such a strange company in all of my working days.

Please explain the logic... you've worked SIX hours, why the hell do you get paid for 7 or 8? If you did the job quicker then there's a rabbit off with the duty holder eh!!

I've been working at another DO today and overheard a conversation where 2 lads work a drivers route between them, they were both off and their duties where covered by 1 lad... who completed BOTH of the rounds well within his time. Should he get paid for doing 2 rounds ??

Things like this would NEVER happen in other companies.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Overtime

Post by bigcol »

PaulyQ wrote:Things like this would NEVER happen in other companies.
You've never worked for other companies then. :roll: :roll: :roll:

There are plenty of reasons why this is a good idea.
blakeyboy
Posts: 104
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by blakeyboy »

If they didn't pay the extra hours for overtime then no one would do it.
There would be no incentive to do it.
Last edited by TrueBlueTerrier on 17 Jul 2014, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal comment removed
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by datasaint »

PaulyQ wrote:Should he get paid for doing 2 rounds ??
If he asked for that before doing the work yes. In the grand scheme of things it makes very little difference, RM would have had to pay out twice anyway.

Plus lets not overlook the fact RM shortchange PTers on holiday pay, and other pro-rata bonuses, so it balances itself out.
edo4442
Posts: 26
Joined: 17 Apr 2007, 12:59

Re: Overtime

Post by edo4442 »

worktotime wrote:
korky wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
sounds like a tool, i'd still come in to time, sure they have to give so much notice to change your times,
also see your rep, few months ago a lad worked his day off and got told to book actual hours worked and not for the full shift, quick word to rep and the full shift got booked
kez throw this one at him start on your time , trolleys , m/r etc , tell him I will work my 39 hrs you keep check on what you are owed , then tell the clown I will have my time back what i am owed on a sat or a fri when its my long weekend which you are entitled to do , easy. watch his face , me and my p&l partner have done it , great finishing at 11.30 - 12 on a sat. play the f***ers at there own game. :nana
I agree however, in our office, someone done that, and is now being taken down the conduct code for going over thier time by 1 hour. If we try and leave work in, we get "instruced by our manager" to take it out, and if we bring any back, then we get done for willful delay.

Then their is the old chestnut of its a performance issue, you aint sorting fast enough, lets retrain you.

We are doing indoor lapsing, outdoor lapsing which comprises of 3 duties, also longs and shorts, and any ot is refused.

Its a f***ing joke, who in their right mind would go out of their way to go over their time to get extra dosh ? 99% of us just want to get the job done, and finished on time, then up the road.

The stasi would be proud.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

edo4442 wrote:
worktotime wrote:
korky wrote:
Kezroyalmail wrote:Please can someone tell me if this is ok? Yesterday I worked 50 mins over my time, got back to the office to write in the overtime sheet but the manager was having a meeting in there so thought I'd do it in the morning like I've been doing for years.manager told me this morning that they are clamping down on overtime so I'm not gonna get paid my 50 mins.instead I will have to come in 50 mins later tomorrow morning.i was like WTF.anyway got finished today (tues) 20 mins early,gaffer seen me and said I have to use the 20 mins from today and come in 30 mins later tomorrow=50 mins.surely they can't do this especially without notice.if I'd known I would of bought the work back yesterday and plodded around an extra 20 mins today
sounds like a tool, i'd still come in to time, sure they have to give so much notice to change your times,
also see your rep, few months ago a lad worked his day off and got told to book actual hours worked and not for the full shift, quick word to rep and the full shift got booked
kez throw this one at him start on your time , trolleys , m/r etc , tell him I will work my 39 hrs you keep check on what you are owed , then tell the clown I will have my time back what i am owed on a sat or a fri when its my long weekend which you are entitled to do , easy. watch his face , me and my p&l partner have done it , great finishing at 11.30 - 12 on a sat. play the f***ers at there own game. :nana
I agree however, in our office, someone done that, and is now being taken down the conduct code for going over thier time by 1 hour. If we try and leave work in, we get "instruced by our manager" to take it out, and if we bring any back, then we get done for willful delay.

Then their is the old chestnut of its a performance issue, you aint sorting fast enough, lets retrain you.

We are doing indoor lapsing, outdoor lapsing which comprises of 3 duties, also longs and shorts, and any ot is refused.

Its a f***ing joke, who in their right mind would go out of their way to go over their time to get extra dosh ? 99% of us just want to get the job done, and finished on time, then up the road.

The stasi would be proud.
and i would be its going to take months to take this person down the conduct code, DOM knows he is going to fail but if he can drag it out it will get summer out the way with out no one else taking the same action it will save him money
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by PaulyQ »

@Bigcol - I've worked for plenty of other companies in many different capacities - and in general it doesn't happen, people get paid for what they work. The main problem in RM is trust - from top to bottom and there are plenty of reasons why this happens. RM isn't the cash cow it used to be, it's a running business that we all part own and as thus is responsible to report everything to shareholders.

I agree that overtime should be paid when it's warranted, I agree with summer lapsing and see the benefits - unless it's busy, I also agree in flexible working - got no issue with it - our Line Managers are OK, got no beef with any of them.
bigcol
Posts: 404
Joined: 21 Jun 2010, 13:29
Gender: Male
Location: Officially the worst DO

Re: Overtime

Post by bigcol »

PaulyQ wrote:Things like this would NEVER happen in other companies.
PaulyQ wrote:in general it doesn't happen

Make your mind up. :crazy:

It's an incentive scheme, which most businesses have. It's up to management to decide if the price is worth paying.
PaulyQ
Posts: 20
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 15:42
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by PaulyQ »

@edo4442

1) agree with work BEFORE you leave the office (this would actually make it EASIER for managers to control rather than a call at 1pm) - if the managers aren't controlling this then there is a serious lack in, well... managing!!

2) if you get back before your time just jump on your frame and knock up the next days "households".

@BogCol... taken out of context, read my comments correctly please.. it don't count in snippets from differing posts :whistle
mlw
Posts: 182
Joined: 12 Sep 2013, 21:32
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by mlw »

PaulyQ wrote:@Bigcol - I've worked for plenty of other companies in many different capacities - and in general it doesn't happen, people get paid for what they work. The main problem in RM is trust - from top to bottom and there are plenty of reasons why this happens. RM isn't the cash cow it used to be, it's a running business that we all part own and as thus is responsible to report everything to shareholders.

I agree that overtime should be paid when it's warranted, I agree with summer lapsing and see the benefits - unless it's busy, I also agree in flexible working - got no issue with it - our Line Managers are OK, got no beef with any of them.
I have worked for small companies and it does happen their i often negotiated ot before doing it plus they pay time and a half rm dont so if you do extra you should negotiate , i always do on the rare occasion i do extra if not its not worth it, their are also builders they quote per job not how long so do many other tradesmen
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3230
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by Acca Dacca »

PaulyQ wrote:So don't come in... simples!!

Let somebody else who wants the overtime do it.

Royal Mail is not an open docket, it's a business, actually it's YOUR business, you've got shares in it. The more you rip it off, the more you rip yourself off!! I've never worked in such a strange company in all of my working days.

Please explain the logic... you've worked SIX hours, why the hell do you get paid for 7 or 8? If you did the job quicker then there's a rabbit off with the duty holder eh!!

I've been working at another DO today and overheard a conversation where 2 lads work a drivers route between them, they were both off and their duties where covered by 1 lad... who completed BOTH of the rounds well within his time. Should he get paid for doing 2 rounds ??

Things like this would NEVER happen in other companies.
If it was based on hours WORKED then most managers would be getting paid very little everyday :chuckle
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
scotspostie777
Posts: 5
Joined: 25 Jun 2014, 18:50
Gender: Male

Re: Overtime

Post by scotspostie777 »

PaulyQ wrote:Fair days pay for a fair days work - Surely ?

Work 6 hours on day off - get paid for it. Not paid 5 hours or 7 hours... 6 hours.
If you get asked by a manager to come in and work your day off on a shift thats 7 hours, and they can only provide you 5 hours work, thats the managers issue, not yours, you have been asked in to cover a 7 hour duty, you get the 7 hours.