ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Picking the pace up?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Well, an interesting day.
Had a fair bit of prepping to do this morning, but I kept my cool and got it all done and was bundled up by just after 10. Spoke to manager as I reckoned I'd be about two hours over my time, and he was happy to book overtime for me.

So I headed out with a rather full trolly full of mail, packets, and yesterdays packets which didn't get delivered. Worked pretty much non stop, ending up with a few packets which I had endorsed and SNL. I finally got the round finished, 2 hours over, and arrived back at the DO to see everything locked up! :shock: Fortunately I had the mobile # for my cwu rep, so I gave him a ring and he advised me to put the trolly with packets in the packet room, which he gave me the code for. Fingers crossed this won't lead to anything bad happening! :sad:

I would have thought the DOM would have said to me before I headed out, bearing in mind that he was aware of me booking 2 hours overtime, that I needed to be back before the DO shut! :roll:

At least the customers should be happy, with them getting all their mail today, if somewhat late! :Very Happy
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

greengiant wrote:Well, an interesting day.
Had a fair bit of prepping to do this morning, but I kept my cool and got it all done and was bundled up by just after 10. Spoke to manager as I reckoned I'd be about two hours over my time, and he was happy to book overtime for me.

So I headed out with a rather full trolly full of mail, packets, and yesterdays packets which didn't get delivered. Worked pretty much non stop, ending up with a few packets which I had endorsed and SNL. I finally got the round finished, 2 hours over, and arrived back at the DO to see everything locked up! :shock: Fortunately I had the mobile # for my cwu rep, so I gave him a ring and he advised me to put the trolly with packets in the packet room, which he gave me the code for. Fingers crossed this won't lead to anything bad happening! :sad:

I would have thought the DOM would have said to me before I headed out, bearing in mind that he was aware of me booking 2 hours overtime, that I needed to be back before the DO shut! :roll:

At least the customers should be happy, with them getting all their mail today, if somewhat late! :Very Happy
It seems your original enthusiasm is somewhat on the wain greengiant... you're now experiencing what many newbies - particularly part-timers - have to put up with... your duty should be fully prepped and that's not happening for starters... does the length of your contract fit with your duty or is it to early to say?
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

lollollol wrote: It seems your original enthusiasm is somewhat on the wain greengiant... you're now experiencing what many newbies - particularly part-timers - have to put up with... your duty should be fully prepped and that's not happening for starters... does the length of your contract fit with your duty or is it to early to say?
My contract is 27.5 hours per week, 9am till 3pm.
My duty is supposed to start at 9:13 am, till 2:33pm, which with 20 minute meal relief added on, takes me to my contracted hours.... I don't want to cause a fuss, incase RM decides to end my probation early..... :sad:

I'll see what tomorrow brings! :hmmmm
DavidFS
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Mar 2014, 22:58
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by DavidFS »

By you're own maths that would make 30 hours a week. Also if you work over 5 hours you get another 10 mins meal relief. And if you're having to prep as well.
Think they are making it up as they go along. Does sound like they're taking advantage. But I do understand you're predicament, with having a temporary contract you feel like you need to accept it.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

DavidFS wrote:By you're own maths that would make 30 hours a week. Also if you work over 5 hours you get another 10 mins meal relief. And if you're having to prep as well.
Think they are making it up as they go along. Does sound like they're taking advantage. But I do understand you're predicament, with having a temporary contract you feel like you need to accept it.
Oh, my contract is permanent part time, however I'm on a 6 month probation, so I'm not wanting to rock the boat.... :neutral: But yes, I did expect that my frame should be fully prepped for me to simply bundle up, load HCT and get out of the door by half 9 at the latest, to give me a chance to get my walk done by my finishing time.
lollollol
Posts: 155
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 19:24
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by lollollol »

Stick with it greengiant... you're right to bite the bullet until your probation is up... make sure you book everything, have your breaks and don't cut corners to get the job done sooner... if your DIM is half a man he'll not give you any grief about booking and if it's all down on paper how long it's taking you to complete a contract extension should be forthcoming... and of course join the CWU in due course... :dance

You seem like a decent egg... keep up the good work... :thumbup
cweg
Posts: 80
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by cweg »

Your duty should be prepped for you in the morning. That would knock a big chunk off of your time. Have you spoke to anyone about it yet?
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Thanks for the replies. Last week on most days I had a couple of trays of letters to sort, plus a bag of packets. The rest of the frame was sorted for me - no doubt if I was more experienced at sorting it wouldn't be taking me so long to finish off what is needing done. However I really should be getting out by half 9 to have any chance of completing my round in time, taking in to account my lack of delivery speed.

I have joined the cwu, always good to have back up!

Well, heres to the start of week 3! (Already? Time sure flies!)

:Very Happy
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by Barbel »

greengiant wrote:
lollollol wrote: It seems your original enthusiasm is somewhat on the wain greengiant... you're now experiencing what many newbies - particularly part-timers - have to put up with... your duty should be fully prepped and that's not happening for starters... does the length of your contract fit with your duty or is it to early to say?
My contract is 27.5 hours per week, 9am till 3pm.
My duty is supposed to start at 9:13 am, till 2:33pm, which with 20 minute meal relief added on, takes me to my contracted hours.... I don't want to cause a fuss, incase RM decides to end my probation early..... :sad:

I'll see what tomorrow brings! :hmmmm
To be honest it doesn't really get any better when you're a floater. I've been with RM for nearly 18 months and there are days when I could easily go over my time by a couple of hours but I now just work to my time and cut off if I have to. You will soon get fed up with walking the streets until 4/5pm.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Barbel wrote:
To be honest it doesn't really get any better when you're a floater. I've been with RM for nearly 18 months and there are days when I could easily go over my time by a couple of hours but I now just work to my time and cut off if I have to. You will soon get fed up with walking the streets until 4/5pm.
Thanks. I'll have a chat with my union rep next week, so I can get an understanding of how best to tackle this.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by Barbel »

greengiant wrote:
Barbel wrote:
To be honest it doesn't really get any better when you're a floater. I've been with RM for nearly 18 months and there are days when I could easily go over my time by a couple of hours but I now just work to my time and cut off if I have to. You will soon get fed up with walking the streets until 4/5pm.
Thanks. I'll have a chat with my union rep next week, so I can get an understanding of how best to tackle this.

Yes I would if I were you otherwise they'll just keep taking the p*ss.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by terry2972 »

Unless you don't mind the ot
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by greengiant »

Quite a quiet day, mail wise. Started the day with a bag of packets and a bit of mail to sort, followed by PDA training. Eventually left the DO at 10:30, arriving back just after 4!

However I'll make sure I see about cutting off on Sat, as I don't fancy arriving back to a locked DO again.... :roll:
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by Barbel »

greengiant wrote:Quite a quiet day, mail wise. Started the day with a bag of packets and a bit of mail to sort, followed by PDA training. Eventually left the DO at 10:30, arriving back just after 4!

However I'll make sure I see about cutting off on Sat, as I don't fancy arriving back to a locked DO again.... :roll:
Have you been doing the same round since you started or different rounds every day? Are you also claiming for going over?
cweg
Posts: 80
Joined: 17 Oct 2013, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Picking the pace up?

Post by cweg »

You're doing prep every single morning? It should be ready for you to pull out and bundle up when you come in! Is there a list with which posty should be prepping what in your office? You're getting a raw deal mate. :no no