ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by DB1100 »

dvbuk55 wrote:
DB1100 wrote:
postypie wrote:Mine has crashed time and time again....usually when I am stood outside a customers house asking them to sign for an item...how blooming embarrassing ......''er..can you just hang on a minute....I have to reboot my PDA''....which seems to take around 4 to 5 mins with mine....have the planners/RM allowed enough time on deliveries for these PDA units that crash every day without fail?
I don't bother with the PDA if it crashes,I always carry a couple of the old signature sheets and use those,if the kit is unreliable and they won't do anything about it why should I bother.Same when you come to get your PDA in the morning and somebody else has took your good one and left you one with a U/S battery that lasts about an hour,just use the old style sheets and I report the faulty PDA when I get back.
Our PDAs are signed out as per allocation it's not possible for someone to take another as they are handed out with the vehicle/HCT.
We started like that,but it didn't last so I really don't care if I get one or not.
For we were soldiers once,and young
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by NewPostieUK »

Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
Same here. If they wanted me to worry about "comms" they would have trained me in its use.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by bustedflush »

OnAFlyer wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine..... :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy

He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
If they haven't been cleared then they are classed as failures anyway.
Really? It just delays the online tracking info being updated, but doesn't change the fact they were successfully delivered as the correct time is logged and uploaded even if the info is not transmitted until later- well that's the impression I got. I couldn't care less - I use the PDA correctly and if there are network or signal issues then there's usually little I can do about it.
Altrider
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Feb 2013, 17:29
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by Altrider »

Ah the joys of using something using microshaft software :d'oh! . We were told last week that the use of epod cards are being scrapped - it's the PDA of nuffink.
If we have a problem during the working day then we ring in and ask a manager to drop us out a working one (ROFLMAO) or the RM I.T. dept :arrrghhh (gawd help us) can call us on the PDA and sort the problem direct (yeah - right). And nine times out of ten the main problem is battery failure ( two of the Pug Bippers I use have no charger unit fitted FFS)
In deepest darket devon we often don't have a signal (Vodafone I believe is RM choice of carrier). Still, my uncle Ernie has some pigeons - there's hope yet. :Applause
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by OnAFlyer »

bustedflush wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine..... :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy

He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
If they haven't been cleared then they are classed as failures anyway.
Really? It just delays the online tracking info being updated, but doesn't change the fact they were successfully delivered as the correct time is logged and uploaded even if the info is not transmitted until later- well that's the impression I got. I couldn't care less - I use the PDA correctly and if there are network or signal issues then there's usually little I can do about it.
Whilst they've been delivered, there is no confirmation on the day and hence they are classed as failures. All PDA's should be cleared at the end of a duty, if they haven't gone then tell the locker staff or a manager. I find that removing the battery and rebooting it always works.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12204
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by SpacePhoenix »

OnAFlyer wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
OnAFlyer wrote:
bustedflush wrote:
Tuffers-1875 wrote:I couldn't give a shiny if it says comms suspended or whatever. If it don't work, it ain't my fault, simples. I ain't paid to be a computer geek as well. And if it still says comms suspended when I get back, so what, I just sling it in the cage and go home.
I got a boll*cking for that the other day. I forgot to check it, and left 11 items on it. Next morning, I was called into the office over the tannoy to the usual accompaniment of jeers, wisecracks and catcalls from the frames and found the lino with about 8 sheets of paper he'd spent 20 minutes printing off before he cottoned on they were all 'failures' on one round which was mine..... :Very Happy :Very Happy :Very Happy

He was half relieved that they weren't failures after all and half peed off with wasting time printing them all off. We are told to clear them before putting them through the hatch or back in the charging cabinet.
If they haven't been cleared then they are classed as failures anyway.
Really? It just delays the online tracking info being updated, but doesn't change the fact they were successfully delivered as the correct time is logged and uploaded even if the info is not transmitted until later- well that's the impression I got. I couldn't care less - I use the PDA correctly and if there are network or signal issues then there's usually little I can do about it.
Whilst they've been delivered, there is no confirmation on the day and hence they are classed as failures. All PDA's should be cleared at the end of a duty, if they haven't gone then tell the locker staff or a manager. I find that removing the battery and rebooting it always works.
They'll only download if they've got more then about 10-11% battery left, anything below that and they'll tend to go into SUS each time you try to reconnect the comms. The version of Windows Mobile they use isn't supported by Microsoft by the end of the year
robbertwhitton
Posts: 1132
Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
Gender: Male

Re: If PDA crashes when comms are suspended ...

Post by robbertwhitton »

yes they seem not to be fit for purpose as the saying goes,and its us not the pda apparently?.they don't have much of a battery life,and if you have a hire van it has no charger anyway,collections are fun when they crash,and you have to explain your life away as to boxes not scanned.just put it on the reason code at the end of shift,tools for the job etc etc,.am sure someones on the case as we speak?? :crazy: