ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Suspension Rights

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
thebiggestman
Posts: 44
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by thebiggestman »

Jack113 wrote: Of course I cant even contact the union rep myself as I do not have his contact details and I have been forbidden by the manager from entering the premises until our next "investagatory" meeting/
Sounds more serious than a wilful charge as you would normally be suspended from delivery only. Sounds like a conduct for dishonesty/ theft - have you been interviewed by the IB?
hantsman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 876
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 09:33
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by hantsman »

thebiggestman wrote:
Jack113 wrote: Of course I cant even contact the union rep myself as I do not have his contact details and I have been forbidden by the manager from entering the premises until our next "investagatory" meeting/
Sounds more serious than a wilful charge as you would normally be suspended from delivery only. Sounds like a conduct for dishonesty/ theft - have you been interviewed by the IB?

No its not, stop worrying the lad.
Jack113
Posts: 14
Joined: 14 Feb 2014, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by Jack113 »

Thankyou!
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by rehabron »

Jack113 wrote:Hi

I've only been in the job for a few weeks but I have just been placed on a suspension for being unable to deliver all of my mail within the designated time. An official meeting has been arranged and I have been told by my Manager that I can bring along an official witness, but he or she must be an employee of Royal Mail.

My problem is that as I've only been in the job for a few weeks I have not had chance to make any friends yet ( also I am not a union member ). As I do not want to go into this meeting totally alone I was wondering if I could take a family member with me (if only for moral support) or is this strictly not allowed??

This (if true) seems a little unfair to be honest and was just wondering if anyone knew if this was right or if they could point me in the right direction of where I might seek advice for a situation like this.

Many Thanks
To place you on suspension after only being in the job for a few weeks is OTT and your situation needs to be investigated thoroughly by your local CWU rep who in this exceptional circumstances he should be in attendance at your official meeting as you have already made an attempt to join the union he can sign you up in retrospect. You have the right to a companion in any meeting that may result in disciplinary action that is the law. You would not be able to take a member of your family to this meeting as your companion has to be a union rep or someone from your designated work area. You can have your meeting postponed until you have made arrangements for a representative to attend the meeting as you will make it clear that you are not waiving your legal rights for continuing this meeting without a companion.
I take it that you returned to your office at the finishing time of your shift and signed out notifying the manager you were unable to complete your round as there is no intent on your behalf to delay this mail this would not constitute wilful delay which looks like the reason for your suspension and the line that your manager is going to take. I trust in your induction training you were fully informed of the procedures for incompletion of your delivery.
I would add to "fishtank" quote from the Conduct Code Section 3 under the heading UNEXCUSED DELAYTO MAIL " Furthermore Royal Mail does recognise that genuine mistakes and misunderstandings do occur and it is not the intention of the Business that such cases should be dealy with under the Conduct Code beyond counselling for the isolated instance. The key is that employees should do their job to the best of their ability and if in doubt ask for their managers advice and guidance.
Jack113
Posts: 14
Joined: 14 Feb 2014, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by Jack113 »

Thankyou for that!
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by loverman shabba »

if this is the way they're going they wont have many posties left cos theres s**t loads that cant finish their duties on time. me being one of them and ive been doing the job for 10 years
cliffeyhez
Posts: 98
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 04:07
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by cliffeyhez »

This seems like good advice from Fishtank. DO NOT go into this meeting alone. Surely someone from your office will accompany you. I don't know what part of the country you come from, but I'm in Essex If I can help. In the event that you have to go alone, buy or borrow a voice recorder to take with you, but be sure to inform the person holding your meeting. Good luck.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by korky »

isn't there a "respected postie" in your office you could ask?
we have one who gets asked in to situations like these, i'd sooner have our guy than our union rep anyway at first, union comes in if its more serious after that,
i'm sure you could ask without being on the premises, i.e facebook, twitter assuming you have got to know a few surnames of fellow posties or just wait outside at knock off time and pass a message on that way.

from your side of the story it seems very harsh, i cut off twice last week, 1st time i never told anyone, but a line manager had got it thrown back in the next morning before i'd started.
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by korky »

ps
as posted earlier, DO NOT go in alone
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by OnAFlyer »

hampshireman wrote: It is not willful delay!!!

Read the procedure about overrunning deliveries. (Note that the OPG had no alternative about what to do with the returned mail)

Also , understand that 'wilful' means that their was intent. This case is closed before it is opened.
So if I go into work tomorrow, go over my time and take some mail back without telling anyone, what is that if it isn't wilful delay?

Obviously the OP hasn't been told about proper procedure, but for all we know the manager could be saying he was told about it and brought mail back without informing anyone at any point.

Which would be classed as what?
thebiggestman
Posts: 44
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by thebiggestman »

OnAFlyer wrote:
hampshireman wrote: It is not willful delay!!!

Read the procedure about overrunning deliveries. (Note that the OPG had no alternative about what to do with the returned mail)

Also , understand that 'wilful' means that their was intent. This case is closed before it is opened.
So if I go into work tomorrow, go over my time and take some mail back without telling anyone, what is that if it isn't wilful delay?

Obviously the OP hasn't been told about proper procedure, but for all we know the manager could be saying he was told about it and brought mail back without informing anyone at any point.

Which would be classed as what?
Totally agree stop whitewashing it for the lad and give him some proper advice.
He didn't even return it to the unit but "locked it in the drivers room? Which is not within the main depot"
My bet is someone found it gave it to the manager and he didn't tell him himself and it's not the first time. Be honest say exactly what happened and you can be given the correct advice.

And a rep turning down a new member - come on day one hour one get em in
Jack113
Posts: 14
Joined: 14 Feb 2014, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by Jack113 »

erm.. if you read the beginning of the thread properly, you would see that i locked all the undelivered mail securely inside the drivers room because the main depot was completely locked up for the day and no staff were there to tell. I had been given no information during training about who to contact in a situation like this and first thing the following morning i explained to the assistant manager exactly what had happened...altho the manager claims that he was not given this information by the assistant manager that day.
thebiggestman
Posts: 44
Joined: 15 Feb 2010, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by thebiggestman »

Jack113 wrote:erm.. if you read the beginning of the thread properly, you would see that i locked all the undelivered mail securely inside the drivers room because the main depot was completely locked up for the day and no staff were there to tell. I had been given no information during training about who to contact in a situation like this and first thing the following morning i explained to the assistant manager exactly what had happened...altho the manager claims that he was not given this information by the assistant manager that day.
Son stop trying to convince yourself that you are telling the whole story and stop thanking the divs on here for their poor advice. You are looking down the barrel of dismissal and are probably on probation so will be easy to dismiss. Tell the truth and I will personally travel anywhere at my own expense and represent you, because f**k the get out of jail card you are being sold on here you need the help of a very experienced rep, that's why joining the Union the day you start is so important
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by halfull »

welcome to the new culture under the agenda for growth agreement people. Im almost welling up while typing how fast management behavior towards workers has changed. :cuppa
Theghost
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 417
Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
Gender: Male

Re: Suspension Rights

Post by Theghost »

thebiggestman wrote:
Jack113 wrote:erm.. if you read the beginning of the thread properly, you would see that i locked all the undelivered mail securely inside the drivers room because the main depot was completely locked up for the day and no staff were there to tell. I had been given no information during training about who to contact in a situation like this and first thing the following morning i explained to the assistant manager exactly what had happened...altho the manager claims that he was not given this information by the assistant manager that day.
Son stop trying to convince yourself that you are telling the whole story and stop thanking the divs on here for their poor advice. You are looking down the barrel of dismissal and are probably on probation so will be easy to dismiss. Tell the truth and I will personally travel anywhere at my own expense and represent you, because f**k the get out of jail card you are being sold on here you need the help of a very experienced rep, that's why joining the Union the day you start is so important
What a Fantastic Rep you sound,I would pay Double to the union just not to have someone like you represent anyone,I would rather take a Mop in with me than you.
You are basically calling the lad a liar,I have seen people suspended for alot less than what hes done,Hang your head in shame you are nothing more than a Disgrace.