ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Bag of d2d
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 14:12
Gender: Male
Location: Capital

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Bag of d2d »

Lost count of how many times I've slipped over in the wet wearing CATS. They are little better than flip flops!
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by OnAFlyer »

Bag of d2d wrote:Lost count of how many times I've slipped over in the wet wearing CATS. They are little better than flip flops!
Maybe your balance isn't too good, or you're going to quickly? The CAT trainers are only slippy when brand new, once the initial coating has worn off I find them absolutely fine. I've worn nothing else since they came out and have never fallen over.

They're the most comfortable footwear I've had at RM, the soles wear quickly but that doesn't matter as I just get my manager to order more every couple of months.
Bag of d2d
Posts: 40
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 14:12
Gender: Male
Location: Capital

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Bag of d2d »

OnAFlyer wrote:
Bag of d2d wrote:Lost count of how many times I've slipped over in the wet wearing CATS. They are little better than flip flops!
Maybe your balance isn't too good, or you're going to quickly? The CAT trainers are only slippy when brand new, once the initial coating has worn off I find them absolutely fine. I've worn nothing else since they came out and have never fallen over.

They're the most comfortable footwear I've had at RM, the soles wear quickly but that doesn't matter as I just get my manager to order more every couple of months.
My balance is fine thanks and no I'm not a runner. I find it depends on the terrain. I have to walk up several paths that have smooth paving slabs. In the wet they are lethal wearing CATS. If the manufacturer says they should not be worn in the wet, then what more proof do you need that they are not suitable for outdoor use.
JiminyBillyBob
Posts: 177
Joined: 26 Jun 2012, 21:06
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by JiminyBillyBob »

How long is the footwear meant to last us? I know we can order 2 pairs at a time on the uniform website, but then when are we aloud to order more?
I've never had a problem with the Cat trainers, my last pair lasted about a year, and even then it was the material wearing away rather than the soles
Brain Fury
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 664
Joined: 07 Apr 2011, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Brain Fury »

The conflicting views here just underline how difficult it is to provide uniform items , particularly footwear.

RM never wanted to supply trainers but felt it was the only way they could stop some people wearing their own white trainers. As some have said, proper trainers are unsuitable for delivery work really as they are designed to be work for short periods of exercise.
theboropostie
Posts: 132
Joined: 28 Dec 2009, 18:29
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by theboropostie »

Talking to a lad who has been trailing the new ones and he said they are s**t hot!

Best he has had in 20 odd years with RM according to him - lets just hope they get made available soon!
mandelsons_toenail
Posts: 1294
Joined: 08 Aug 2009, 18:16
Gender: Male
Location: Outer Hebrides

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by mandelsons_toenail »

Yeah but when you are walking 50 miles per week them soles ain't gonna last long unless they are made of concrete :Very Happy
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Barbel »

What are the Magnum shoes like? I've had a pair of DM boots for the past 6 months but they were so heavy and dangerous when walking up and down stairs I started wearing my own trainers but got told off. Fair enough, but the DM's were more than likely cause a nasty accident than my lightweight trainers.
mailmonkey
Posts: 431
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 22:12
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by mailmonkey »

Barbel wrote:What are the Magnum shoes like?
lethal. Slippiest footwear i ever wore, I have the Doc Marten boots now.
Lazycarton
Posts: 193
Joined: 15 Mar 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Lazycarton »

I find the Magnums very comfortable, but it may just be that they suit the shape of my feet. Yes, they are not so good in the wet, but the slips I have had have been very few. I need a new pair every 6 months, that's on a 45 mile a week round.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Barbel »

mailmonkey wrote:
Barbel wrote:What are the Magnum shoes like?
lethal. Slippiest footwear i ever wore, I have the Doc Marten boots now.
Oh great :roll: lol
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Barbel »

Lazycarton wrote:I find the Magnums very comfortable, but it may just be that they suit the shape of my feet. Yes, they are not so good in the wet, but the slips I have had have been very few. I need a new pair every 6 months, that's on a 45 mile a week round.
Did you get many blisters when you first wore them? I know with the DM boots it took me a good month to break them in properly.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by k979aaa »

Barbel wrote:
Lazycarton wrote:I find the Magnums very comfortable, but it may just be that they suit the shape of my feet. Yes, they are not so good in the wet, but the slips I have had have been very few. I need a new pair every 6 months, that's on a 45 mile a week round.
Did you get many blisters when you first wore them? I know with the DM boots it took me a good month to break them in properly.
You mean the DM Boots broke your feet in to fit them.
Barbel
Posts: 593
Joined: 21 Sep 2012, 16:11
Gender: Male

Re: Footwear Not Fit For Purpose

Post by Barbel »

k979aaa wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Lazycarton wrote:I find the Magnums very comfortable, but it may just be that they suit the shape of my feet. Yes, they are not so good in the wet, but the slips I have had have been very few. I need a new pair every 6 months, that's on a 45 mile a week round.
Did you get many blisters when you first wore them? I know with the DM boots it took me a good month to break them in properly.
You mean the DM Boots broke your feet in to fit them.
I meant it took me about a month of wearing them before they stopped rubbing and giving me blisters.