Many thanks Mr Gremlin, most helpful.UnhappyGremlin wrote:Your manager can delay the transfer for a maximum 28 days due to 'Operational Necessity', which will be things like being short staffed etc., but after that you should go immediately. This is obviously after the transfer has been granted/approved so you need to start that off ASAP if you haven't already. The DOM can delay it initially by taking an age to process the transfer, but once the DOM at the new office is involved they will be pushing to get it through ASAP as they will want/need you yesterday. Ask the Rep how long the procedure should take, and if it looks like dragging on, you may have to start proceedings like a grievance, which I wouldn't worry too much about as it would be against your soon to be former DOM, and not the one that you are going to work for. You could play the 'delaying me is costing me money card too', and if the current DOM blocks it for any time/reason, ask that you are paid your new level of hours from the transfer date, probably won't happen, but you can ask.Rudolph_Hucker wrote:UPDATE:
I've had a chat with the DOM at the office I want to transfer to. He is offering me a 32 hour contract instead of the 24 hour one I'm on. With the extra hours offered and considerably less traveling I would be about £75 a week better off.
My question is this, can my existing DOM stop a transfer short or long term? What reason/s can he have for not releasing me? If he does play hard ball, can I get the Union involved? I naturally don't want it to get to that stage but I need to know my options.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Transfer question ... Yet again
-
Rudolph_Hucker
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.
Re: Transfer question ... Yet again
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Transfer question ... Yet again
I've had a transfer request in for just shy of 7-years.
Is this some kind of record?
My local office is 10-mins walk away but I work at one that's a 20-min drive.
No chance of ever getting a move as full timers are not replaced,when one leaves all the extra hours are sucked up through docket...a lot of the time by people who have dropped their hours down from 40 to 25 & had a pay out.
No union representation either.
Couldn't make it up really!

Is this some kind of record?
My local office is 10-mins walk away but I work at one that's a 20-min drive.
No chance of ever getting a move as full timers are not replaced,when one leaves all the extra hours are sucked up through docket...a lot of the time by people who have dropped their hours down from 40 to 25 & had a pay out.
No union representation either.
Couldn't make it up really!
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Rudolph_Hucker
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.
Re: Transfer question ... Yet again
What a bummer, that's a terribly long wait. Have no jobs ever been advertised?Cedar_Room wrote:I've had a transfer request in for just shy of 7-years.
Is this some kind of record?
My local office is 10-mins walk away but I work at one that's a 20-min drive.
No chance of ever getting a move as full timers are not replaced,when one leaves all the extra hours are sucked up through docket...a lot of the time by people who have dropped their hours down from 40 to 25 & had a pay out.![]()
No union representation either.![]()
Couldn't make it up really!
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.
-
Cedar_Room
- Posts: 826
- Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09
Re: Transfer question ... Yet again
Yeah,but only for 25-hr contracts.Rudolph_Hucker wrote:Cedar_Room wrote:I've had a transfer request in for just shy of 7-years.
Is this some kind of record?
My local office is 10-mins walk away but I work at one that's a 20-min drive.
No chance of ever getting a move as full timers are not replaced,when one leaves all the extra hours are sucked up through docket...a lot of the time by people who have dropped their hours down from 40 to 25 & had a pay out.![]()
No union representation either.![]()
Couldn't make it up really!
What a bummer, that's a terribly long wait. Have no jobs ever been advertised?
I know a woman who was full time & took a buy down to 25-hrs on a three day week.
She told me herself that she now hammers the overtime on the days she is in to make her money up.
Suits her as she is quids in,suits RM too as we all know they love P/T contracts,the only person who loses out is moi.
“Shorts,in this weather?!”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”
“What’s she been ordering now?”
-
Rudolph_Hucker
- Posts: 196
- Joined: 21 Mar 2013, 18:19
- Gender: Male
- Location: Sorry but you don't have the necessary security clearance.
Re: Transfer question ... Yet again
How much did she get for the buy down, any idea? It's a big gamble reducing hours isn't it, sick pay etc.
Plus of course, how can she be assured of overtime? Is it a big office?
Plus of course, how can she be assured of overtime? Is it a big office?
If you do a job too well, you’ll get stuck with it.