how do you figure that one out? he will be insured if he went upstairs to deliver it, i dont think he should be gong upstairs but he is covered by insurance of he does
I have always been led to believe that if you go somewhere on the duty that has not been risk assessed, then you do so at your own risk.
If you were to fall coming down the stairs while delivering the mail, and that hadn't been risk assessed, it wouldn't be treated as an accident on duty but you would have to shoulder the blame.
Perhaps that is what he means by not being insured.
What would the situation be if you tripped on a loose floorboard that the company hadn't maintained, but you shouldn't have been there in the first place?
Last edited by clashcityrocker on 29 Apr 2013, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
how do you figure that one out? he will be insured if he went upstairs to deliver it, i dont think he should be gong upstairs but he is covered by insurance of he does
I have always been led to believe that if you go somewhere on the duty that has not been risk assessed, then you do so at your own risk.
If you were to fall coming down the stairs while delivering to the mail, and that hadn't been rik assessed, it wouldn't be treated as an accident on duty but you would have to shoulder the lame.
Perhaps that is what he means by not being insured.
What would the situation be if you tripped on a loose floorboard that the company hadn't maintained, but you shouldn't have been there in the first place?
Royal Mail's employer's liability insurance would still be valid from an employee's point of view because they,the insurers are legally prohibited from precluding compensation on the grounds that an employee is doing something they shouldn't,that's why people are insured even when they come in early.
In a case like that it would be up to the insurer to sue the policy holder(Royal Mail) to reclaim the compensation.
I'm not saying that blame wouldn't affect any compensation you received just that you can't be "uninsured" while at work.
how do you figure that one out? he will be insured if he went upstairs to deliver it, i dont think he should be gong upstairs but he is covered by insurance of he does
I have always been led to believe that if you go somewhere on the duty that has not been risk assessed, then you do so at your own risk.
If you were to fall coming down the stairs while delivering to the mail, and that hadn't been rik assessed, it wouldn't be treated as an accident on duty but you would have to shoulder the lame.
Perhaps that is what he means by not being insured.
What would the situation be if you tripped on a loose floorboard that the company hadn't maintained, but you shouldn't have been there in the first place?
Royal Mail's employer's liability insurance would still be valid from an employee's point of view because they,the insurers are legally prohibited from precluding compensation on the grounds that an employee is doing something they shouldn't,that's why people are insured even when they come in early.
In a case like that it would be up to the insurer to sue the policy holder(Royal Mail) to reclaim the compensation.
I'm not saying that blame wouldn't affect any compensation you received just that you can't be "uninsured" while at work.
Say it was the other way around where I knocked over a expensive vase or picture on the stairs or broke something?
Biker Mouse wrote:I was told by our old DOM, a few years ago, that if a business required mail delivering upstairs, then there was an additional charge for the service. £50 a year, if I recall correctly!
3.2 You must allow us and each of our employees, contractors, representatives and agents to enter your premises safely, in order to provide the services and you agree to pay us for any costs (including legal costs) expenses, claims, losses, damages and awards we have to pay because you have not done this.
I've had a few run-ins like this in one supermarket I deliver to, the supermarket has a petrol station and the people at the customer services keep kicking off saying I should deliver anything with petrol station on it over to the petrol station. I just say 'supermarket's are one delivery point' and walk away. If they continue with it I usually just say 'ring the office'. Can't be bothered with lazy-ass shop workers, probably supervisors on £7 an hour who turn into little hitlers as soon as they get a different badge.
TheCobra wrote:I've had a few run-ins like this in one supermarket I deliver to, the supermarket has a petrol station and the people at the customer services keep kicking off saying I should deliver anything with petrol station on it over to the petrol station. I just say 'supermarket's are one delivery point' and walk away. If they continue with it I usually just say 'ring the office'. Can't be bothered with lazy-ass shop workers, probably supervisors on £7 an hour who turn into little hitlers as soon as they get a different badge.
Quite true Cobra, if I was to seg their mail I would be going to the Chemist instore Mc Donald's, and across the road to the petrol station, in future its headphones on with me and just bung the mail on customer service and out I go not that the head phones will attached to a player its a ignoring policy I am going to play.
i have had run ins with 2 supermarkets in our area, if it is just ordinary mail i just walk straight up to the customer services desk and drop the mail on the counter and walk away, no problems there but if anything needs signing for, the staff there will not sign and say i have to go out of the shop and go round to the loading bay at the back. Of course if the loading bay doors are closed and they won't answer the bell i then have to go back into the shop and here we go again. Now i just go straight to the loading bay, no answer and i write out a P739 and put it with the rest of the mail. On several occasions it has been specials (stamps) and they have had to send someone up to fetch them. You think they'd learn wouldn't you?
Where's the official delivery point for the supermarket? Deliver the items there, if no staff member wants to sign for anything that needs signing for, kill them items off as refused