ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

foreign barcodes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
indio
Posts: 87
Joined: 17 Feb 2013, 22:57
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by indio »

Caniel wrote:
indio wrote:
Caniel wrote:I scan any foreign barcode that looks like it will scan, most just come up not needing a signature but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have also noticed that the packets with barcodes on from places like Hong Kong that would have had the red "Signature Required" sticker on seem to be missing them.
With paper.... Knock wait, knock wait, fill in signing card, write out 739, post, on your way. 3 minutes each? X10+ takes a lot of time out of you're delivery span.
Claim docket then or cut off.
That old chestnut hey! DOM would make my life a misery.Yes I know that some enjoy the aggro but I don't.
DH73
Posts: 42
Joined: 10 Apr 2010, 13:00
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by DH73 »

I scan 'em all on my paedo, then there can be no come back. If it won't scan, I put it on paper. As said above, if it takes me over my time, so be it - excess please!
Caniel
Posts: 623
Joined: 03 Jul 2009, 18:25
Gender: Female
Location: The Batcave

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by Caniel »

indio wrote:
Caniel wrote:
indio wrote:
Caniel wrote:I scan any foreign barcode that looks like it will scan, most just come up not needing a signature but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have also noticed that the packets with barcodes on from places like Hong Kong that would have had the red "Signature Required" sticker on seem to be missing them.
With paper.... Knock wait, knock wait, fill in signing card, write out 739, post, on your way. 3 minutes each? X10+ takes a lot of time out of you're delivery span.
Claim docket then or cut off.
That old chestnut hey! DOM would make my life a misery.Yes I know that some enjoy the aggro but I don't.
In other words you'd rather roll over and take it than grow some balls and stand up for yourself.

Why can't people just do the job properly.
buckrogers
Posts: 25
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 19:22
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by buckrogers »

Our DOM has told me when I asked they if its not got the signature required rubber stamp we should not get a signature for it. Apparently it's because most countries have not been paying the bills for the service. Makes my day a lot quicker!!
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

indio wrote:
Caniel wrote:
indio wrote:
Caniel wrote:I scan any foreign barcode that looks like it will scan, most just come up not needing a signature but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have also noticed that the packets with barcodes on from places like Hong Kong that would have had the red "Signature Required" sticker on seem to be missing them.
With paper.... Knock wait, knock wait, fill in signing card, write out 739, post, on your way. 3 minutes each? X10+ takes a lot of time out of you're delivery span.
Claim docket then or cut off.
That old chestnut hey! DOM would make my life a misery.Yes I know that some enjoy the aggro but I don't.
Then to be blunt you have 3 choices:

1. Continue as you are and hope you're not caught because if he gives you grief for cutting off then he sure is going to "understand" when someone makes an official complaint.
2. Start to do the job as the Union suggest and yes get some grief from the boss - but you can't get sacked for it.
3. Do the job properly but never cut off or claim docket - no grief but no pay for overtime.

All 3 have consequences:

1. No grief but possible outcome is dismissal and possible bogus accusation of theft.
2. Loads of grief but it will die down eventually when they realise you won't accept it and they will leave you alone.
3. No grief but absolutely no self respect and loads of stress.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fng
Posts: 462
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 16:54
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by fng »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Then to be blunt you have 3 choices:

1. Continue as you are and hope you're not caught because if he gives you grief for cutting off then he sure is going to "understand" when someone makes an official complaint.
2. Start to do the job as the Union suggest and yes get some grief from the boss - but you can't get sacked for it.
3. Do the job properly but never cut off or claim docket - no grief but no pay for overtime.

All 3 have consequences:

1. No grief but possible outcome is dismissal and possible bogus accusation of theft.
2. Loads of grief but it will die down eventually when they realise you won't accept it and they will leave you alone.
3. No grief but absolutely no self respect and loads of stress.
:Applause :Applause :Applause
Tripitaka: "You should live without fear. There's as much chance of good things as bad things."
Sandy: "It's a cheerful philosophy and I've heard it from people before. They're all dead now."
Monkey "Excuse me when I say, that you really are extraordinarily dim!"
steevo
Posts: 9
Joined: 02 Mar 2013, 12:29
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by steevo »

I went to another office to help out for a few days and somebody told me that nobody bothers getting signatures for foriegn tracked items because they cant be tracked once they leave the country of origin.
Minischoles
ROYAL MAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE
Posts: 154
Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 05:53
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by Minischoles »

I wouldn't worry about the signature.

While you probably should get one, as per the Universal Postal Union rules, there is absolutely zero obligation for you to get one or for us to ever provide the foreign postal authority with one.
Ossie From Preston
Posts: 148
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 18:42
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by Ossie From Preston »

My motto is that if they are allowed to travel through the system without been taken care of why should we bother? post them then act stupid and say "Never seen the barcode on it" simple.
*xen*
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Feb 2012, 18:52
Gender: Male

Re: foreign barcodes

Post by *xen* »

Ossie From Preston wrote:My motto is that if they are allowed to travel through the system without been taken care of why should we bother? post them then act stupid and say "Never seen the barcode on it" simple.
This.
That money talks,
I'll not deny,
I heard it once,
It said 'goodbye'.