ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Will they force me to drive?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by not me »

briantwigley wrote:Or just drive

in our office(P&L) the drivers get more grief.
they get the 'responsibility' for packets etc
TheCobra
Posts: 249
Joined: 31 Dec 2011, 09:58
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by TheCobra »

custard wrote:
briantwigley wrote:Or just drive

in our office(P&L) the drivers get more grief.
they get the 'responsibility' for packets etc
But the loops are a bit easier for drivers, to compensate. Works quite well on my round.
Last edited by TheCobra on 24 Jul 2012, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Patrick Clifton wrote:
jeanie wrote:I have an issue with this too!! I don't get paid extra to drive plus i would also be responsible for the van with regard to checks!! I don't check my own car I take it to a garage and pay someone to make sure everything is ok. So if a tyre is on the bold side I would be the one that gets done for it , Im not taking the responsibility for it.
There is a procedure in place where you report problems and issues with RM vehicles. Once you complete the required paperwork it is then upto your manager and/or RM mechanics to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy.
I agree with Jeanie on this, not complaining that I don't get paid a penny extra for driving because applying for a driving duty was my choice knowing that to be the case, but never having never been a car owner and not being the least bit mechanically minded I don't consider myself to be properly competant to carry out all the checks one is meant to do on a daily or weekly basis. :sad:
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Patrick Clifton »

Lounge Lizard wrote: I agree with Jeanie on this, not complaining that I don't get paid a penny extra for driving because applying for a driving duty was my choice knowing that to be the case, but never having never been a car owner and not being the least bit mechanically minded I don't consider myself to be properly competant to carry out all the checks one is meant to do on a daily or weekly basis. :sad:
Neither am I mechanically minded. Does checking the oil, windscreen wash, tyre pressure, lights and other general maintainence deem you to be mechanically minded?

If I broke down, I wouldnt know where the hell to start. I know what a flat battery would have in effect, other than that I would be screwed.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Patrick Clifton wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote: I agree with Jeanie on this, not complaining that I don't get paid a penny extra for driving because applying for a driving duty was my choice knowing that to be the case, but never having never been a car owner and not being the least bit mechanically minded I don't consider myself to be properly competant to carry out all the checks one is meant to do on a daily or weekly basis. :sad:
Neither am I mechanically minded. Does checking the oil, windscreen wash, tyre pressure, lights and other general maintainence deem you to be mechanically minded?

If I broke down, I wouldnt know where the hell to start. I know what a flat battery would have in effect, other than that I would be screwed.
Some of 'the other general maintainence' is more complicated than the oil, windscreen wash, tyre pressure and lights and I'm not as competant at all that as a mechanic who might have spotted things not being quite right ahead of breaks failing, steering failing or other such incidents. :sad:
jeanie
Posts: 71
Joined: 28 Aug 2010, 19:13
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by jeanie »

and also have you heard the problem with hand breaks failing!!!!!
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Patrick Clifton »

jeanie wrote:and also have you heard the problem with hand breaks failing!!!!!
no?
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by chrisj »

What is the point of POSTMAN saying it is not a question of fairness if one can drive competently and refuses to drive. Just how many HCT jobs will be available in an office? And if all the drivers are exhausted what is the manager to do?

So what do you advice this chap to do? Do people actually think that by refusing to do this and that, we can make P&L fail or go away???

Good info from Terrier but some people might just get themselves into bother for no good reasons. Medical and disqualification are valid reasons but can you imagine the HCT postie who is probably one of the most senior being moved from his job to accommodate someone who has been disqualified because of drink drinking?

Managers will probably start sending posties to other offices if the problem gets out of hand.
Jynxx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Jynxx »

TheCobra wrote:
custard wrote:
briantwigley wrote:Or just drive

in our office(P&L) the drivers get more grief.
they get the 'responsibility' for packets etc
But the loops are a bit easier for drivers, to compensate. Works quite well on my round.
Wish that was the case on my duty, after the revision of the revision <.< they made all the driver loops equal if not larger than that of the passenger loops, they expect the packets unfit for the trolly to be done in a 15 minute time frame, so not only has the driver got as much mail to do as the passenger he also has the extra problems like specials to think about.
Jynxx
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 198
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Jynxx »

Natasha, Midlands wrote:I would like to ask the people that have gone into park and loop already a question. Recently about eight posties have gone through the change over to drive a van getting ready for P&L I went through mine years ago as a manager asked me one day when he was stuck for drivers, Question is “Do I have to drive now because I don’t want to” somebody told me I could be suspended if I refused? Its my licence and I’m not prepared to be driving everyday. I need answer quickly please Nat:)
I know a few posties in my office with driving licences refused to be drivers for P&L (they were asked by the DOM and they refused and they use a car for work) i can't see how they can force someone with a driving license to be a driver, i would have thought that would have been discrimination in some way shape or form for actually holding a driving license while those without don't have to worry about it.
What if you lost your license for example you couldn't be sacked, or lost your confidence in your driving ability or something?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by POSTMAN »

jeanie wrote:and also have you heard the problem with hand breaks failing!!!!!
Apparently yes,but i can't find the LTB on it,there has been problems but not sure what the outcome was.
And Chris,you've missed my point.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
chrisj
Posts: 1883
Joined: 21 Dec 2010, 16:24
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by chrisj »

Line managers should have contingency arrangements in place in response to instances of people being unable to complete a driving duty on a given day. This may include:

The partner taking on the driving responsibility
Moving the invalidated person to a trolley route, with the person on the trolley route swapping to the van. NB. Both of the above solutions rely on people in the office being trained on multiple equipment types.

In essence each case will be dealt with on an individual basis.[/quote]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My sleep pattern is messed up - still getting up too early as before...

Anyways, the quote from Terrier above actually gives more power and flexibility to the manager to shift people around on a daily or weekly basis from their normal rounds/walks. This will not go down well with some people when they know the situation is caused by 'can drive and wont drive' postie...

The manager can break up a pairings where there are two drivers, move a driver who is an HCT or request a driver from a nearby office whilst sending someone from his office in replacement.

Of course, nobody can be forced to drive against their will - it will be counter-productive if it all goes wrong... However, I think the poster can find a better excuse (make one up) than simply not wanting to drive. Not wanting to be responsible is not a good excuse in my view (my view). And trying to explain that you will only drive when it is absolutely necessary is what I will go for personally. * There are many that will do the driving anyway.

Lastly, this one is a funny one:

Line managers should capture UK driving licence holders in the office through the People Survey.[/quote] Why would they put such a clause in the document? Perhaps, a rod for the manager to ask you kindly but when you refuse to move you from your round or try to get you to work in other offices.

POSTMAN, I dont know what your point is - your replies are too short or cryptic for me to decipher. But we both agree that he cannot be forced and the issue of not enough drivers might create problems...
Hitcher
Posts: 1540
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Hitcher »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Patrick Clifton wrote:
jeanie wrote:I have an issue with this too!! I don't get paid extra to drive plus i would also be responsible for the van with regard to checks!! I don't check my own car I take it to a garage and pay someone to make sure everything is ok. So if a tyre is on the bold side I would be the one that gets done for it , Im not taking the responsibility for it.
There is a procedure in place where you report problems and issues with RM vehicles. Once you complete the required paperwork it is then upto your manager and/or RM mechanics to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy.
I agree with Jeanie on this, not complaining that I don't get paid a penny extra for driving because applying for a driving duty was my choice knowing that to be the case, but never having never been a car owner and not being the least bit mechanically minded I don't consider myself to be properly competant to carry out all the checks one is meant to do on a daily or weekly basis. :sad:
Don't worry no-one does them anyway.
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by not me »

TheCobra wrote:
custard wrote:
briantwigley wrote:Or just drive

in our office(P&L) the drivers get more grief.
they get the 'responsibility' for packets etc
But the loops are a bit easier for drivers, to compensate. Works quite well on my round.

the rounds were never properly designed in our DO
no loops,simply 2 walks clumped together. deal with it
Patrick Clifton
Posts: 430
Joined: 16 May 2010, 12:37
Gender: Male
Location: Greendale

Re: Will they force me to drive?

Post by Patrick Clifton »

tolkien wrote: we have to show our licence every few months to check it , if a driver , what would happen if you refused to show it ,
I had a colleague who misplaced his driving licence and was unable to provide it for the 6 monthly check. He was given a date to find it/get a replacment or he would be put onto a non-driving duty.