ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hans solo
Posts: 3292
Joined: 06 Feb 2011, 18:08
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by hans solo »

but can you be forced to spend your day with someone who has say flu , infection , swine flu etc
or is just pure minging or dirty
have seen people in office sh** and not even wash hands
i would refuse to be near that person regardless of mgmt instructions there has got to be some rules on hygene
justdeno
Posts: 362
Joined: 27 Jan 2012, 16:05
Gender: Female

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by justdeno »

I alway's have baby wipes, hand cleaners, cos the boy's who use my van(day off)I'm sure they don't wash their hands after the toliet.
We do not have time to clean the vans, but I try my best not to touch the steering wheel etc until I've cleaned it!!!! :Very Happy
Himaggen
Posts: 993
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 23:40

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Himaggen »

hans solo wrote:but can you be forced to spend your day with someone who has say flu , infection , swine flu etc
or is just pure minging or dirty
have seen people in office sh** and not even wash hands
i would refuse to be near that person regardless of mgmt instructions there has got to be some rules on hygene
Your remit is to perform any reasonable instruction for which you are trained, your problem would be in proving it unreasonable.

You cannot refuse to work with somebody unless you can prove that doing so carries a likelihood of jeopardising your safety, health, welfare or well-being.

Often people carrying an infection show no signs of that infection until after the greatest risk of contagion spread has passed.

You can make a complaint that someone causes you offence because is in your opinion they are minging or dirty. You would of course have to do so out of earshot of others directly to your Manager in order to prevent that person from lodging a successful B&H claim against you. Your Manager will decide whether they agree or disagree with your refusal on that basis and will instruct you what to do.

Can you prove that they got s**t on their hands, can you see it, are you likely to touch something after they have etc.

You cannot expect your employer to create a specific set of rules catering for each individuals differing level of tolerance to things.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by fishtank »

I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
mccoop
Posts: 43
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 16:19

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by mccoop »

How about cleaning the letters and Packets,jobs for the boys!!
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by DB1100 »

What a completely pointless topic,how do you think binmen get on,dirt ,germs and bacteria are everywhere.
For we were soldiers once,and young
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

DB1100 wrote:What a completely pointless topic,how do you think binmen get on,dirt ,germs and bacteria are everywhere.
- and they look healthier than the rest of us. :Very Happy
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by dvbuk55 »

fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
You are a very naughty boy :chuckle
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
No PDAs here, and after a Recorded Delivery for one of the dirtiest farms and dirtiest farmers I've had to try to wipe the cow muck off the signature card before handing it in at the end of the day. :sad: And some people worry about coffee stains. :crazy:
arnold cheshire
Posts: 5309
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 21:28
Gender: Male
Location: england

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by arnold cheshire »

when you get back the DO and wash your hands the dirt that comes off your hands is unbelivable
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
No PDAs here, and after a Recorded Delivery for one of the dirtiest farms and dirtiest farmers I've had to try to wipe the cow muck off the signature card before handing it in at the end of the day. :sad: And some people worry about coffee stains. :crazy:
Reminds me of a place I once went to. You drove down the lane at the bottom of which was slurry overspill which got the hot exhaust and the smell was horrendous. Getting out of the van, not RM I might add, this old dear steps out of the back door who I swear was the spitting image of Old Mother Riley who says come on in mister breakfast time. I was just about managing to hide the retching and thought it might help indoors, without much luck. The floor looked like the inside of a cow shed, on the table was supposed to be a white pint mug and was full of black finger marks, and a bacon sandwich. "Sit yersen darn and get that darn thee", which I did but it took me about 40 minutes and I didn't eat for a few days after. Nowadays I would have been less than polite in turning it down.
Baggaz
Posts: 24
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Baggaz »

dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
No PDAs here, and after a Recorded Delivery for one of the dirtiest farms and dirtiest farmers I've had to try to wipe the cow muck off the signature card before handing it in at the end of the day. :sad: And some people worry about coffee stains. :crazy:
Reminds me of a place I once went to. You drove down the lane at the bottom of which was slurry overspill which got the hot exhaust and the smell was horrendous. Getting out of the van, not RM I might add, this old dear steps out of the back door who I swear was the spitting image of Old Mother Riley who says come on in mister breakfast time. I was just about managing to hide the retching and thought it might help indoors, without much luck. The floor looked like the inside of a cow shed, on the table was supposed to be a white pint mug and was full of black finger marks, and a bacon sandwich. "Sit yersen darn and get that darn thee", which I did but it took me about 40 minutes and I didn't eat for a few days after. Nowadays I would have been less than polite in turning it down.
Sorry DVD, i must ask a very personal question, but did you? :shock:
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Lounge Lizard »

Baggaz wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
No PDAs here, and after a Recorded Delivery for one of the dirtiest farms and dirtiest farmers I've had to try to wipe the cow muck off the signature card before handing it in at the end of the day. :sad: And some people worry about coffee stains. :crazy:
Reminds me of a place I once went to. You drove down the lane at the bottom of which was slurry overspill which got the hot exhaust and the smell was horrendous. Getting out of the van, not RM I might add, this old dear steps out of the back door who I swear was the spitting image of Old Mother Riley who says come on in mister breakfast time. I was just about managing to hide the retching and thought it might help indoors, without much luck. The floor looked like the inside of a cow shed, on the table was supposed to be a white pint mug and was full of black finger marks, and a bacon sandwich. "Sit yersen darn and get that darn thee", which I did but it took me about 40 minutes and I didn't eat for a few days after. Nowadays I would have been less than polite in turning it down.
Sorry DVD, i must ask a very personal question, but did you? :shock:
- and one more personal question, did she give you a fiver ? :shock:
Baggaz
Posts: 24
Joined: 20 Sep 2011, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by Baggaz »

Lounge Lizard,

Tut, tut, current CWU guidelines would suggest that a crisp tenner is more in keeping with the current economic climate :wink:
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Health Risk from dirty shared vehicles?

Post by dvbuk55 »

Baggaz wrote:
dvbuk55 wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:
fishtank wrote:I think i would worry more about the mail in your hand than the steering wheel.
Think how many hands that's been through before it gets to you. :nervous.
And then there's the scummy gates and of course you hand your PDA over to the punter usually after they've just crawled out of bed and had a good scratch..... :whistle
No PDAs here, and after a Recorded Delivery for one of the dirtiest farms and dirtiest farmers I've had to try to wipe the cow muck off the signature card before handing it in at the end of the day. :sad: And some people worry about coffee stains. :crazy:
Reminds me of a place I once went to. You drove down the lane at the bottom of which was slurry overspill which got the hot exhaust and the smell was horrendous. Getting out of the van, not RM I might add, this old dear steps out of the back door who I swear was the spitting image of Old Mother Riley who says come on in mister breakfast time. I was just about managing to hide the retching and thought it might help indoors, without much luck. The floor looked like the inside of a cow shed, on the table was supposed to be a white pint mug and was full of black finger marks, and a bacon sandwich. "Sit yersen darn and get that darn thee", which I did but it took me about 40 minutes and I didn't eat for a few days after. Nowadays I would have been less than polite in turning it down.

Sorry DVD, i must ask a very personal question, but did you? :shock:
The only thing I ate was the sandwich but if it had been Kitty I might have been tempted :Very Happy. LL Kitty would have been a freebie, the old dear would have had to knock me unconscious and interfere with me whilst I was out............ :whistle
old mothet.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.