ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

have changed the closing line to:
Today, was the first day, after having been at the RMG for 10 months, that I was going to get home early.
Chapter 1 was set on my last day and after seven long years at the fictional Fort Apathe: the Cronx I had got wise to the scams
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
wiganpostie
Posts: 670
Joined: 09 Mar 2010, 20:16
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by wiganpostie »

Chapter 1: interesting, but also quite literally the stuff of nightmares - I read it just before bed last night, and had a dream where I was being chased by a postman hating lynch mob who impaled me through the heart on a rusty railing. Not even Barker or King ever managed to elicit that kind of a reaction. :shock:
OnAFlyer
Posts: 1938
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 14:24
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by OnAFlyer »

rainmaker7 wrote:have changed the closing line to:
Today, was the first day, after having been at the RMG for 10 months, that I was going to get home early.
Chapter 1 was set on my last day and after seven long years at the fictional Fort Apathe: the Cronx I had got wise to the scams
So 7 years on and you were knocking 3+ hours off deliveries? Some scams those :hmmmm
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

Welcome to Fort Apathe: the Cronx. Confused you will be.
And I would have delivered all the letters. Well, most of them.
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
farmboy
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 May 2012, 14:46
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by farmboy »

Very very accurate the book will hit a note of reality for all posties in the London area the bigger the office the worse the climate/culture
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by dvbuk55 »

farmboy wrote:Very very accurate the book will hit a note of reality for all posties in the London area the bigger the office the worse the climate/culture
What? With such stalwart union support and solidarity.........it can't be surely :chuckle :chuckle
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

chapter One
That £1,100 in union subs I had paid over the past 7 years was obviously money well spent then. Still, I got a CWU diary out of it each year.
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

Another free chapter from the book While You Were Out. Remember: it's fiction -- the truth would too much to bear.

http://blog.stunnedbunny.com/14-the-changeover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by dvbuk55 »

rainmaker7 wrote:Another free chapter from the book While You Were Out. Remember: it's fiction -- the truth would too much to bear.

http://blog.stunnedbunny.com/14-the-changeover/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah yes - I remember the film well - "The truth you can't handle the truth" delivered with such venom by Jack Nicholson in A few good men, brilliant - but try us anyway rainmaker - who knows maybe it will make men of the rest us outside London.
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

Postmen are not allowed to tell the truth -- it's in their contract. No, really it is. That's the truth.
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72767
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

rainmaker7 wrote:Postmen are not allowed to tell the truth -- it's in their contract. No, really it is. That's the truth.
A circular point if there ever was one.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by meercat »

rainmaker7 wrote:Postmen are not allowed to tell the truth -- it's in their contract. No, really it is. That's the truth.
Well I'll tell the truth now then - this is a poor read and it's full of what I would call 'crap'.

e.g.-

'There is so little mail on the frame on a Tuesday that the postie will often stand there staring at it, and think, there’s hardly anything there, why bother delivering it? And so they don’t. And they get home early early early.'

I've been in the job 7 years done probablly 25 different walks and I've never ever seen someone do the above. You are making us look like dicks to any member of the public who may read this fiction. I can see straight through your lies - you are making us appear like work-shy ammateurs for the sake of adding a bit of controvery to an otherwise bland book in the hope that it will cause a 'stir' and actually be published. Good luck with that.

And I really can't see why you are on here trying to flog it when it paints the entire workforce in such a bad light. I like my job for what it is, I like my collegues and I like working to a professional standard and I go home satisfied I've earned my pay. Every postperson I know works damn hard for the money they get paid and to insinuate that 'the postie' will 'often' intentionally neglect to deliver a large portion of his round is an insult to the work we do day in day out.

More condecending BS-

'I love the way that posties think that there is someone, somewhere, that is in control of all this mailstrom; that there might be some huge lever up at head office with a sign above it that reads: MAILSORT'

Are you an ex-manager by any chance? Either that or you are a socio-path - you refer to 'these posties' as if you weren't actually one of them yourself for years?
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

If it is all lies then you have nothing to worry about. The customers who get their mail 6 days a week and have a postman who always rings twice will then know that all this is lies. The proof is on the doormat.

To be honest, I can't believe most of what I saw and the reason I wrote this book (it ain't gonna make any money) is so that I can make sense of it all after all these years later.

I have taken poetic license (it is called a 'work of fiction') but the essential truth of what I saw is there on the page.
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by dvbuk55 »

rainmaker7 wrote:If it is all lies then you have nothing to worry about. The customers who get their mail 6 days a week and have a postman who always rings twice will then know that all this is lies. The proof is on the doormat.

To be honest, I can't believe most of what I saw and the reason I wrote this book (it ain't gonna make any money) is so that I can make sense of it all after all these years later.

I have taken poetic license (it is called a 'work of fiction') but the essential truth of what I saw is there on the page.
Well TBH rainmaker anyone who put up with what you professed to have put up with for years speaks volumes, you must be a natural victim :cuppa
rainmaker7
Posts: 27
Joined: 30 Oct 2008, 20:09
Gender: Male
Location: deadlands of sarf London

Re: Confessions of a Postman -- the book

Post by rainmaker7 »

you must be a natural victim
You might be right :confused
Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early. Gotta get home early.