ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

phone calls while delivering

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
trythat
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 720
Joined: 23 Jun 2007, 16:36

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by trythat »

Stormproof wrote:Getting a lot of complaints this morning regarding managers phoning people up whilst they are delivering. The managers want to know how much they will cut off etc, surely this should be sorted before commencing delivery. I want to tell the guys not to answer their phones and if managers want to make contact they should do so via the PDA. Thoughts anyone?
Surly any cutt-offs etc should be discussed and agreed before leaving the office. Personally I'd recommend not answering the phone or PDA's for that matter.
combo_king
Posts: 96
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 22:40
Gender: Male

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by combo_king »

dont see the problem myself, they phone i answer, either yes or no to what there asking depending what mood im in, they phone when im driving i pull in if safe and answer or i phone back, some vey bitter twisted people on this site imo
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by Lounge Lizard »

combo_king wrote:dont see the problem myself, they phone i answer, either yes or no to what there asking depending what mood im in, they phone when im driving i pull in if safe and answer or i phone back, some vey bitter twisted people on this site imo
"I phone back" and they promptly refund you the cost of the call ? :Very Happy :crazy:
combo_king
Posts: 96
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 22:40
Gender: Male

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by combo_king »

lol ive got a contract phone, but even if i didnt id be phoning back, if u ask me thats just being stuborn bout that , again bitter and twisted people no offence to any1 but thats how i see it
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by Lounge Lizard »

combo_king wrote:lol ive got a contract phone, but even if i didnt id be phoning back, if u ask me thats just being stuborn bout that , again bitter and twisted people no offence to any1 but thats how i see it
If you're happy to pay for the phone, the contract and the batteries then that's most commendable of you, likewise coming in early and rushing round using ones own car :Very Happy - but how not doing all that makes me bitter and twisted I don't understand. :crazy:
combo_king
Posts: 96
Joined: 06 Jan 2012, 22:40
Gender: Male

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by combo_king »

not saying that, just reading some the comments some people post on heer jeez chill out stop taking everything in and geting wound up n being so bitter bout everything so much, its just a job its not a career, come in work your hours n go home or eat up the doket simple as, "id never phone them back of my phone im not paying 5 pence or using my battery up" thats beeing twisted lol
not me
Posts: 2735
Joined: 10 Aug 2007, 15:07
Gender: Female
Location: Uranus

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by not me »

combo_king wrote:not saying that, just reading some the comments some people post on heer jeez chill out stop taking everything in and geting wound up n being so bitter bout everything so much, its just a job its not a career, come in work your hours n go home or eat up the doket simple as, "id never phone them back of my phone im not paying 5 pence or using my battery up" thats beeing twisted lol
yup,and the way I(and no doubt othersa) have been treated,has created this working atmosphere.
I used to do all I could for the company,however this proved to mean nothing when they had the chance to dismiss me.
so now,they et the minimum.
they can call thier lap dogs,not me.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by Lounge Lizard »

custard wrote:
combo_king wrote:not saying that, just reading some the comments some people post on heer jeez chill out stop taking everything in and geting wound up n being so bitter bout everything so much, its just a job its not a career, come in work your hours n go home or eat up the doket simple as, "id never phone them back of my phone im not paying 5 pence or using my battery up" thats beeing twisted lol
yup,and the way I(and no doubt othersa) have been treated,has created this working atmosphere.
I used to do all I could for the company,however this proved to mean nothing when they had the chance to dismiss me.
so now,they et the minimum.
they can call thier lap dogs,not me.
Resorting to misrepresenting others indictes the weakness of your argument. :sad: Never did I suggest "I'd never phone them back of my phone im not paying 5 pence or using my battery up" as I have made such calls when for example the van has broken down, but I've yet to hear any justification for phoning back on a daily basis. :Very Happy
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72771
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Jynxx wrote:
1984 wrote:Someone once told me theyre not allowed to phone you if they know you could be driving.

Not sure if thats accurate

I just ignore it if I see its the office calling
We had a 'huddle' couple of days back telling us we're not allowed to use mobile phones while driving then same day two calls from the office, one call from the Lino who gave us the lecture on it :hmmmm

Had a look at DVLA i wonder if they realise they can be prosecuted for expecting us to recieve calls when they know full well you could be driving.
If you're an employer, you can be prosecuted if you ask your employees to make or receive calls while driving.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_188761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But certainly people should use their common sense. If you mobile rings because work are trying to contact you and you are driving. Then don't answer it until you have found a safe place to stop. Its certainly what I do when anyone calls me when I am driving.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
redneck
Posts: 788
Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
Gender: Male

Re: phone calls while delivering

Post by redneck »

Unfortunately answering the phone (and the docket it may offer) is directly linked to getting a living wage if you are on 20 hour contracts. As is working much of your rest weeks allowance. The DOMs can't get o/t sorted out fully before we leave most of the time.