8/11d actually!Mezza wrote:Don't forget the cost of a stamp has only gone up by 45pence in nearly 200 years!
A bit like our Christmas bonus
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
are 1st class stamps too expensive?
-
Biker Mouse
- Posts: 543
- Joined: 19 Oct 2009, 18:37
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
-
krussel
- Posts: 5300
- Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
- Gender: Male
- Location: Out on the streets.
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
When i started in 1988 a first class stamp was the same price as a Mars bar. A Mars in our vending machine is now 75p.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
In 1971 a second class stamp was 2½p, a first class stamp was 3p and a Mars bar was 4p.krussel wrote:When i started in 1988 a first class stamp was the same price as a Mars bar. A Mars in our vending machine is now 75p.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
In 1971 I wasn't born...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
pcb
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 392
- Joined: 21 May 2007, 11:32
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
Eventually 1c will be phased out and a universal price with 2/3 delivery. Next day will be for business mail only at a premium. Don't forget at weekends the 2 streams are dispatched as one. This is the future!
Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.
John Stuart Mill
John Stuart Mill
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
Only one class, yes, but with First Class being the great majority of stamped mail and more lucrative, it's most likely Second Class to go.pcb wrote:Eventually 1c will be phased out and a universal price with 2/3 delivery. Next day will be for business mail only at a premium. Don't forget at weekends the 2 streams are dispatched as one. This is the future!
A few years down the line though the First Class price will only give a Second Class service, just like abolishing Second Deliveries and then a few years later First Deliveries being at the time of the old seconds.
-
sidewinder
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 348
- Joined: 24 Oct 2008, 18:05
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
I hate mars barskrussel wrote:When i started in 1988 a first class stamp was the same price as a Mars bar. A Mars in our vending machine is now 75p.
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
No that's 1971 Teefer, not 1871TeeferTiger wrote:In 1971 I wasn't born...
-
smelly_cat_lady
- Posts: 341
- Joined: 22 Nov 2009, 15:08
- Gender: Female
- Location: On the delivery office floor looking up shorts
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
Or could it just be that the last day for posting cards 2nd class is Saturday, hence the high numbers? Still at a loss as to why postman are buying stamps when we get them free? Chumps 
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72771
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
1. They could send more than 50 letters a year ....smelly_cat_lady wrote:Or could it just be that the last day for posting cards 2nd class is Saturday, hence the high numbers? Still at a loss as to why postman are buying stamps when we get them free? Chumps
2. Has anyone except teefer said in this thread that they have purchased any. Teefer is no longer a postwoman BTW so she won't get any free ones...
Chumps ????
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
Precisely... so if anyone would like to donate any of their free ones to me, I'd be very gratefulTrueBlueTerrier wrote:1. They could send more than 50 letters a year ....smelly_cat_lady wrote:Or could it just be that the last day for posting cards 2nd class is Saturday, hence the high numbers? Still at a loss as to why postman are buying stamps when we get them free? Chumps
2. Has anyone except teefer said in this thread that they have purchased any. Teefer is no longer a postwoman BTW so she won't get any free ones...
Chumps ????
I used up my stash of free ones that I'd not used from all the previous years when I sent out wedding invites
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
-
kawoxux
- Posts: 300
- Joined: 18 Aug 2011, 19:36
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
If I had nothing better to do, I'd quite like to tot up the value of the mail that I deliver one day and see how much RM actually get (though obviously the money processing it is an unknown because you dont know where its come from). Probabaly more than you'd think 
-
dvbuk55
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 16650
- Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
I don't think 1st class stamps are too dear. I do believe one price fits all is a mistake, more particularly now that Grans letter to the grandkids is no longer the norm but the exception. PIP was a mistake. We should be charging in relation to cost over distance and more particularly in rural areas. The cost to deliver to rural areas far outweighs inner city deliveries and it should be realistically priced.
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
I believe that first class is still cheaper than internal mail in most European countries.
-
TeeferTiger
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2783
- Joined: 22 Dec 2008, 13:56
- Gender: Female
- Location: Welsh Wales
Re: are 1st class stamps too expensive?
Was there a comparison chart somewhere to show how RM prices compare to the european prices?
I think it worked out that RM was about 2nd cheapest or something... I can't remember now and I've had my tablets. In fact, I might've had 2 lots of tablets because I can't remember if I'd already taken them or not...
I think it worked out that RM was about 2nd cheapest or something... I can't remember now and I've had my tablets. In fact, I might've had 2 lots of tablets because I can't remember if I'd already taken them or not...
Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?