Maybe he's one of the blue eyed boys!!
We've plenty at our place, come in when they like, finish and go straight home, sign for and deliver their specials and recordeds, leave packets on doorsteps!!
tylerandmeggie wrote:Cant believe complaints, for what us postmen get paid and how easy job is so much negativity
Ok I will try to address this constructively .
Firstly I do agree with you that the money paid for a FULL TIME position is actually quite good for the skill level required. If you look in the papers for other work (I.e. supermarkets) you find that you need to enter at a management level to secure the same salary.
However part time work is not so good as it requires the same physical effort to complete the delivery but the reward is far less so I don’t think that part time is particularly well paid.
As far as being an easy job I would disagree. The job has always been physical and required a certain amount of stamina to complete a weeks worth of deliveries. However the length and weight of the deliveries has grown over the years to the point that people are now succumbing to work related injury on a regular basis. I work at a smallish office and we have 5 people on light duties since the revision started 10 months ago.
Also the high turnover of staff who start the job only to leave within the first 3 months is very high compared to other industries and this in a very bad recession. To me this indicates that the job does not compare very well with other positions of employment being offered elsewhere.
Also having spoken to a employment agency organiser I have been told that its very difficult to actually get people to accept work from Royal Mail and any that do agree a take ona days work tend to refuse the offer the second time around. This is why we seem to only get a lot of foreign agency workers who speak little English.
The negativity is something that normally builds up over time. It’s mostly the result of continuingly being lied to and tricked by a employer who is forever changing the goal posts and not honouring an official working agreement which themselves produced. You are also consistently being told that your workload is diminishing and that you need to take on extra to simply keep your job when in fact you know by the weight on your back that this cannot not true.
There have been many reports into the low moral issue within Royal Mail with perhaps the most damming being the LORD SAWYER'S REPORT back in 2001
Sawyer quote:
Post office managers were blasted for their autocratic approach, and fostering of a "them and us culture".
"There is a clear divide between managers and staff which is exacerbated by the lack of trust and respect for each other," the report said.
Postal workers felt undervalued and were not respected, while mail centres resembled "old fashioned factories".
The report also said that postal workers were still very badly paid.
I suggest you Google it and read it for yourself as surprisingly not a great deal has really changed with RM approach to its workers.
Oh sorry you did not get your bonus
excellent post.
who the hell invests £2 billion into a servic and makes it worse?????????????
you really couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!
Ive had the day off and its surprising how clearly you can think when your not getting up at 4.30am and walking the streets for 4.5 hours in an EASY job.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
muzzy wrote:Having worked in supermarkets on and off for 17 or more years as a Baker, I can safely say that working for RM is better paid by a long way. As a skilled Baker of 15 years experience I left this year on £7.50 per hour. I worked 39 hours. I now earn the same money for doing my 28hrs plus I usually work my day off on OT. The hours are better 8-2ish instead of my old 5-2 and it's nearer so no longer use my car. All in all I'm happy. YMMV
yeah,you sound like a master baker.
who the hell invests £2 billion into a servic and makes it worse?????????????
you really couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
People on here are not really complaining that the job is hard, if you read between the lines.
The problem is this, in most other jobs, you are required to start at 'x' oclock and clock off at 'y' oclock. Overtime is purely voluntary. With Royal mail, a judgement call is made about how much work you can do between 'x' oclock and 'y' oclock. When this call is wrong, it makes the job extremely stressful for those wishing to finish at 'y' oclock and are not able to (which they should have a perfect right to do).
Clocking in and out machines would sort this problem out, but they will not allow this because it would threaten the fabric of the USO. The actual job is not too hard and is the pay is ok, but we are stuck between a rock and a hard place due to the structure of our working day and knowing where we stand, hence all the griping!
I think it's a fairly easy job if you're a pugnacious character. People who are more sedate, shy, and less willing to fight their own corner will come into difficulty balancing the conflict caused by the ridiculous expectations of management. You will find that some (many?) managers have a harmful effect on the running of an office. The ones who do it brazenly are easy to watch, but you will encounter the more pernicious type, whose harm is malignant but very subtly applied. These are the ones you need to be most weary of. I tend to find that these are the ones whose ego is larger than their will to do, and hence they cause inner strife by allowing their ego to get in the way of whatever dormant ability they may have hidden within them. It comes back to that old saying: those who can, do, those who can't, manage. You'll see a lot of managing in RM. Just about managing.
taurus88 wrote:I think it's a fairly easy job if you're a pugnacious character. People who are more sedate, shy, and less willing to fight their own corner will come into difficulty balancing the conflict caused by the ridiculous expectations of management. You will find that some (many?) managers have a harmful effect on the running of an office. The ones who do it brazenly are easy to watch, but you will encounter the more pernicious type, whose harm is malignant but very subtly applied. These are the ones you need to be most weary of. I tend to find that these are the ones whose ego is larger than their will to do, and hence they cause inner strife by allowing their ego to get in the way of whatever dormant ability they may have hidden within them. It comes back to that old saying: those who can, do, those who can't, manage. You'll see a lot of managing in RM. Just about managing.
tylerandmeggie wrote:This job is money for nothing, just my opinion
Ok but dont just make a statement, justify it with some examples.
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........