ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
kitkatchunky
Posts: 217
Joined: 04 Jun 2010, 16:00
Gender: Male

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by kitkatchunky »

More fool u then stand up 4 your self people !!
Pandak67
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Jun 2011, 11:03
Gender: Female

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by Pandak67 »

Im on 24hr contract. i come in at 8am and most days i have loads of mail to throw up, packages to sort, re-directs and miss sorts to deal with. I have never walked in and had it done for me. I have been there a month and rarely get out till 9.30. I dont get onto my walk till 10am due to having to deliver to a street on the way which annoys me as there are 3 other posties in that area.I have a long walk to do and dont get finished till 2.30- 3pm. I have only cut off once and that was yesterday and i felt like crying due to pressure. People assure me it will get easier and i will speed up. i hope so as i enjoy the job when out of the delivery office.
G Bolster
Posts: 26
Joined: 13 Jan 2011, 19:45
Gender: Male

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by G Bolster »

kitkatchunky wrote:More fool u then stand up 4 your self people !!
I did. I left!
L8Hatter
Posts: 191
Joined: 24 Mar 2010, 13:26
Gender: Male

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by L8Hatter »

POSTWOMAN wrote:Can someone tell me what should be up & ready for a part-timer -- 25 hr/week

Packets turned- yes/no

D2D - yes/no

Redirections - yes/no

If not, then how much time is given to the Part-timer to finish the above & leave d.o for her walk.
Am on a 25 hour as well, but have been on the same round for a year and it's less than a ten minute bike ride from the DO, so don't have to fanny about with the van. I do everything except prepping mail, including prepping D2ds and lapsing. Some times there's no mail to prep, some times there's a box and and a bit. Swings and roundabouts.

On the other hand, if you're getting bounced around different rounds every day/week, then you should only be doing redirections and kill-offs. Them's the rules, I do believe?

Are you going over your time? Are you including your break? Personally, I don't bother. It's only 5 hours, I'll have a crafty fag break or two on the round, or a natter with customers if it's an easy day
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by NewPostieUK »

L8Hatter wrote: then you should only be doing redirections and kill-offs. Them's the rules, I do believe?
No. There are no rules. Its THE DUTY that defines what is and isn't done, not how many hours your contract is.

A lot of duties are the same, whether full or part time. The only difference is that the full timers do sorting.

If you are struggling to finish on time ask your manager for a rundown of what you are mean to be doing for THAT DUTY, and how long each task is meant to take, so you can pinpoint where you are losing time.

I was doing a duty that had nearly 600 houses, and was meant to fully prep it in the same time that I had prepped a different duty that had less than 400 houses. A couple of discussions with the manager and he had someone doing half an hours prep before I got in.
max49
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 122
Joined: 31 Dec 2010, 20:58
Gender: Female

Re: Breakdown of delivery process for a part -timer.

Post by max49 »

In our office the part timers, we have 4 who do delivery only (4,30 hours per day), come in to their walks preped and bagged, packet are often not turned for and you need huge hands for the size of the bundles. On a busy day it is a bonous for them to have the right mail in the right bags as the postpersons, other than the drivers, can not leave the office until the p/t walks are complete which means there can be a number of staff round a frame packing bags as quicklly as possible!! Their lapsing, we lapse for all the year except xmas pressure, is sometimes tied up for them.