ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
-
baldrick
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 5038
- Joined: 13 Sep 2007, 23:37
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
EB is right. You do get days in lieu if Bank Holidays fall within your AL, but not if they are when you are on Sick Leave.
-
REDLETTER
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 748
- Joined: 27 Oct 2008, 19:00
- Gender: Male
- Location: EX-ROYAL MAIL
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
Taken from the Government Website:
The basics of holiday rights
There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:
* you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)
* part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
* you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
* your employer can control when you take your holiday
* you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
* when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
* bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
* you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The basics of holiday rights
There is a minimum right to paid holiday, but your employer may offer more than this. The main things you should know about holiday rights are that:
* you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave (28 days for someone working five days a week)
* part-time workers are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 5.6 times your usual working week, eg 22.4 days for someone working four days a week)
* you start building up holiday as soon as you start work
* your employer can control when you take your holiday
* you get paid your normal pay for your holiday
* when you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you have not taken
* bank and public holidays can be included in your minimum entitlement
* you continue to be entitled to your holiday leave throughout your ordinary and additional maternity leave and paternity and adoption leave
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
You are entitled to a day off every bank holiday. If you are sick on this day, you aren't getting the holiday are you? You are entitled to it another day. I claimed and got a day back when this happened to me, (previous employment, not Royal Mail).
Another time, many years before, I claimed back a whole week, as I was ill for the first week of my summer holiday.
Another time, many years before, I claimed back a whole week, as I was ill for the first week of my summer holiday.
-
easter bunny
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
NewPostieUK wrote:You are entitled to a day off every bank holiday. If you are sick on this day, you aren't getting the holiday are you? You are entitled to it another day. I claimed and got a day back when this happened to me, (previous employment, not Royal Mail).
Another time, many years before, I claimed back a whole week, as I was ill for the first week of my summer holiday.
With respect thats rubbish...Sick pay is a entitlement ...There are not many firms around the UK that give staff full pay from Day ONE ( after 12 months service that is)...
To expect a Bank Holiday in lieu after a few months sick with full pay for example is nonsence...You are having the day off and you are getting paid for it...You cant have the penny and the bun...
However as said before, and the European Court has agreed that if you sick while on leave, you can claim the leave back (not BHs though ) . This has been the case at RM for many years ago anyway...
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
Which is what I did, but claimed a bank holiday as well. Thing is, I'm trying to remember if I got paid for it. I was on full pay whilst on the sick, and probably got paid for the bank hol at the time. I argued that I hadn't had a holiday that day, as I'd been ill in bed, so got another day off. That day, thinking about now, probably wasn't paid. It was 10 or 11 years ago, I wish I could find out.easter bunny wrote: However as said before, and the European Court has agreed that if you sick while on leave, you can claim the leave back (not BHs though )
-
easter bunny
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
NewPostieUK wrote:Which is what I did, but claimed a bank holiday as well. Thing is, I'm trying to remember if I got paid for it. I was on full pay whilst on the sick, and probably got paid for the bank hol at the time. I argued that I hadn't had a holiday that day, as I'd been ill in bed, so got another day off. That day, thinking about now, probably wasn't paid. It was 10 or 11 years ago, I wish I could find out.easter bunny wrote: However as said before, and the European Court has agreed that if you sick while on leave, you can claim the leave back (not BHs though )
The Bank Holidays HAVE to be in the exact leave period you were due off ...
-
Glyno
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 21:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
Thanks everyone... I'll take it that I won't be getting the days in lieu - I'm not that fussed, I was just ensuring that I didn't get diddled out of something I was entitled to.
Thanks again
Thanks again
-
easter bunny
- Posts: 378
- Joined: 01 Jul 2007, 20:08
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
Glyno wrote:Thanks everyone... I'll take it that I won't be getting the days in lieu - I'm not that fussed, I was just ensuring that I didn't get diddled out of something I was entitled to.
Thanks again
Think yourself lucky that your paid full pay from the first day of absence unlike a lot of other blue chip companies...Thank the Trade Union for something...
-
Glyno
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 21:18
- Gender: Male
Re: Off sick - Bank Hols in lieu?
ok, ok, I am grateful - honestly. Now I feel proper guilty for even asking!easter bunny wrote: Think yourself lucky that your paid full pay from the first day of absence unlike a lot of other blue chip companies...Thank the Trade Union for something...