ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Mailsort 3

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by andy2007 »

POSTMAN wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I can't see why it gets left on Saturdays, chances are that the companies sending it will just use DSA instead, meaning that you'd still have to deliver it but RM would get less money.
Spoken like a true MC'er :left:
Actually, he's got a good point. MS3 makes us more money than MS1 and MS2 combined, because of the sheer volume of MS3 Mail. :shock: Although I doubt that anyone would go to DSA, just because it doesn't get delivered on a Saturday. Unless of course, it misses it's 1 week deadline. But if we did loose MS3 customers, it'd hit us very hard. :hmmmm

Now obviously, I'm not suggesting that the same is true, once you include STL, SD, etc., traffic. But businesses like to send non time critical Mail by MS3, because it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean that they'd stand for it missing it's deadline. They want what they paid for.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
Mr Blonde
Posts: 337
Joined: 23 May 2007, 20:44

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by Mr Blonde »

How would they know that it missed the deadline? Does anyone ACTUALLY read the shite when it lands on their own doormats?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by POSTMAN »

andy2007 wrote:
POSTMAN wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:I can't see why it gets left on Saturdays, chances are that the companies sending it will just use DSA instead, meaning that you'd still have to deliver it but RM would get less money.
Spoken like a true MC'er :left:
Actually, he's got a good point. MS3 makes us more money than MS1 and MS2 combined, because of the sheer volume of MS3 Mail. :shock: Although I doubt that anyone would go to DSA, just because it doesn't get delivered on a Saturday. Unless of course, it misses it's 1 week deadline. But if we did loose MS3 customers, it'd hit us very hard. :hmmmm

Now obviously, I'm not suggesting that the same is true, once you include STL, SD, etc., traffic. But businesses like to send non time critical Mail by MS3, because it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean that they'd stand for it missing it's deadline. They want what they paid for.
Tbf Andy,i've never understood how and why RM's big seller could be left on a Sat.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72773
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Mr Blonde wrote:How would they know that it missed the deadline? Does anyone ACTUALLY read the shite when it lands on their own doormats?
RM and Postwatch/Postcom use secret shoppers that report what mail was delivered and when. Remember the problems in Scotland, Preston and NI over this.

Also the companies themselves do the same thing, in my last job as a phone drone for a Mail Order company they used to send me test letters which I had to report on. Yes some of them were MS3 although I did not know it at the time.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dblad
Posts: 448
Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 18:26
Gender: Male

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by dblad »

I just deliver it on Saturday, you never know what's gunna land on your frame Monday so I get it out the way. Plus the fact if your all working to your time on Saturdays there's no point in leaving it.
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by andy2007 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
Mr Blonde wrote:How would they know that it missed the deadline? Does anyone ACTUALLY read the shite when it lands on their own doormats?
RM and Postwatch/Postcom use secret shoppers that report what mail was delivered and when. Remember the problems in Scotland, Preston and NI over this.

Also the companies themselves do the same thing, in my last job as a phone drone for a Mail Order company they used to send me test letters which I had to report on. Yes some of them were MS3 although I did not know it at the time.
I'm not surprised. very few people outside of RM seem to know there's even such a thing as 3rd Class Mail. It was a surprise for me, when I started.
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!
Haitch P
Posts: 38
Joined: 26 May 2010, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by Haitch P »

andy2007 wrote:Actually, he's got a good point. MS3 makes us more money than MS1 and MS2 combined, because of the sheer volume of MS3 Mail. :shock: Although I doubt that anyone would go to DSA, just because it doesn't get delivered on a Saturday. Unless of course, it misses it's 1 week deadline. But if we did loose MS3 customers, it'd hit us very hard. :hmmmm

Now obviously, I'm not suggesting that the same is true, once you include STL, SD, etc., traffic. But businesses like to send non time critical Mail by MS3, because it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean that they'd stand for it missing it's deadline. They want what they paid for.
Does Mailsort 3 still make money then? There hardly seems to be much about these days.

I can remember when I worked on the LSMs in the late 90s there was tonnes of the stuff to run through, not now. :sad:
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by DGP1 »

Haitch P wrote:
andy2007 wrote:Actually, he's got a good point. MS3 makes us more money than MS1 and MS2 combined, because of the sheer volume of MS3 Mail. :shock: Although I doubt that anyone would go to DSA, just because it doesn't get delivered on a Saturday. Unless of course, it misses it's 1 week deadline. But if we did loose MS3 customers, it'd hit us very hard. :hmmmm

Now obviously, I'm not suggesting that the same is true, once you include STL, SD, etc., traffic. But businesses like to send non time critical Mail by MS3, because it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean that they'd stand for it missing it's deadline. They want what they paid for.
Does Mailsort 3 still make money then? There hardly seems to be much about these days.

I can remember when I worked on the LSMs in the late 90s there was tonnes of the stuff to run through, not now. :sad:
That's because they've switched to DSA :sad:
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
andy2007
Posts: 3971
Joined: 14 Sep 2007, 10:16
Gender: Male
Location: Earth

Re: Mailsort 3

Post by andy2007 »

But there's still more of it, than MS1 and MS2 combined. As you said: That's mostly due to customers going over to DSA.

But yes, MS3 does make moeny for us. Quite a lot, in fact!
Don't knock Insanity
it's just another outlook on Reality!