ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Do u work for nothing???

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by islfor »

clashcityrocker wrote:Most people like to be finished early to enjoy the rest of the day (while they still can)
If people can start early and finish early, why aren't the start times alligned to mail arrivals?
Why make them finish later unnecessarily?


With revisions imminent we need to get the job done properly and to time, if we start cutting corners like we have in the past, it wont be a true reflection of the job. And with the new D2D agreement 1/6 per day with cold calling.......the job has to be done right.
Hope you understand ?
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by fishtank »

I think the "start an hour early finish an hour early brigade have to understand that even that has it's implications on the rest of us.
The Truth wrote
Was invited and did attend Royal Mail `s delivery strategy managers briefing for South East and London. All Royal Mail regions are having them and a handful of CWU reps have been invited.

None of what I report to you has been agreed with the CWU , but it is at the heart of Royal Mail`s delivery strategy. The meeting for the south east and London is taking place today and tomorrow and will be attended by all Delivery Office Managers , Delivery sector managers and planners.

The intial presentation was explained by the regional directors and the Peter Ashford who is one of the leads of delivery strategy.

It was outlined that over the next 3 years Royal Mail will be making one of the biggest investments in delivery in history over 400 million. In the main this is on car derived vans , HCTs and of course walk sequencing. It was stated there were the appoxmately 99500 Full time equivalants in delivery units.

They also presented there panellists results to argue that less then 8% of the mail was being delivered at 1400 to argue that all the hours in delivery units are not being worked.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16742
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by clashcityrocker »

In my DO some f/t staff are out the door before the p/t staff are even due to start.
Why should they start at 9.35 and work until 3.35 when they can start at 8.35 and finish at 2.35 in plenty of time to pick the kids up from school?
Maybe it isthe start times that need to be looked at , not the staff.
And the IWT calculates how much prep time each frame should need.If someone is coming in early and taking 2hrs to do 1hr work then the management need to look into that person's performance. Where's your rep?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by Darren Bent »

I won't come to work early, but if I do, it is for a good reason ie football 12.45 kick off on Saturday or important appointment. But for now I don't see any benefits from finishing at 1.30pm instead of 2pm as it will means 30 minutes in bed earlier. Sod that :nana
islfor
Posts: 380
Joined: 26 Aug 2008, 19:27
Gender: Male
Location: Scotland

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by islfor »

clashcityrocker wrote:In my DO some f/t staff are out the door before the p/t staff are even due to start.
Why should they start at 9.35 and work until 3.35 when they can start at 8.35 and finish at 2.35 in plenty of time to pick the kids up from school?
Maybe it isthe start times that need to be looked at , not the staff.
And the IWT calculates how much prep time each frame should need.If someone is coming in early and taking 2hrs to do 1hr work then the management need to look into that person's performance. Where's your rep?
I am a REP, been for 12 years my friend. Please dont take pity of me, the most senior REP in our area :crazy:
Stormproof
Posts: 6116
Joined: 07 Jul 2007, 21:03
Gender: Female

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by Stormproof »

Managers don't see people coming in early they just see them finishing early!
So keep on moving, moving, moving your feet
Keep on shuf-shuf-shuffling to this ghost dance beat
Just keep on walking down never ending streets


Illegitimi non carborundum
krussel
Posts: 5300
Joined: 26 Jan 2009, 18:03
Gender: Male
Location: Out on the streets.

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by krussel »

Troubles start if your a reserve and you cover a duty where the regular postie starts 40 min early. Say the duty includes bag drops to other posties who are used to getting them at a certain (early) time. They then moan and complain and go to the dom behind his back and threaten to cut off because of that poxy lazy reserve guy is stitching them up. The dom calls the reserve in and puts pressure on him to complete the duty quicker. In the end the reserve goes sick with stress and cannot face coming into work because of the harrassment and ends up getting medical retirement for peanuts.

Thats what happened to a really good hard working postman in our office who just wanted to do the job properly. :evil/mad
Rows of houses all bearing down on me........I can feel their blue hands touching me.......All these things in all positions.........All these things will one day take control..........
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32819
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by POSTMAN »

When we had nights,the cretins used to come in early,yes i called them cretins and you will see why...

The car driver:Car engine running in the yard,flapping about when the missorts came in,rush rush rushing others to get it done early so they can scoot off.
One time i pulled one guy back as the day before some missorts were left and the DOM was on the march about it,he nearly (and i'm not exaggerating) had tears in his eyes.
There's me trying to save his job and there he was throwing a strop.

The non car user:As a driver i have had many a row with theses cretins,why am i not ready to take them out,why is bob and sue not ready.
I don't let a manager rush me why would i let a cretin like them do it.

Oh and i've lost count how many times i have had rows with management because bob and sue are struggling to get the prep done on time,and they mention dastardly and muttley can!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Tommase
Posts: 75
Joined: 15 Apr 2010, 13:30
Gender: Male

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by Tommase »

gone has started 2 inflammatory posts basically pertaining to the same subject, I wouldn't give him/her ? the benefit of your response (well maybe a little) :wink:

Job and finish is the only carrot we have left everything else has been eroded away over time. As many people have stated our work time should be aligned to delivery of mail
beinspired
Posts: 64
Joined: 19 Jan 2008, 10:55

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by beinspired »

I think everyone should start work at the correct time give or take a few minutes, but if you want to throw off your work quicker or walk faster delivering letters to finish earlier, you should have that right too! We're not robots. I bet you never complain about the ones that work really slow - you know who I'm talking about!
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by NewPostieUK »

clashcityrocker wrote:In my DO some f/t staff are out the door before the p/t staff are even due to start.
Same here, including some that drop off bags and do oversize packets for the part timers.

As a floater, I'm often asked why my bags aren't ready to be taken out...five minutes after I've started.

I've also been asked why packets were left in a York. No idea says I, they were all the ones I couldn't manage, I put them in a York and they get delivered by ...who? I don't know. When? I don't know.

Seems the driver looked in the York, saw it was empty and left...while I was still prepping my trays, never even looked in packet bag yet.

It's a mixture of people who come in early, for a mixture of reasons, some part timers don't even know they are coming in early! All the walks I cover are meant to start at the same time, yet there is a two hour difference between the time some part timers start.

And my office is very well run compared to some I read about on here.
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by ashadd »

if were not pissed i , could give a reasonable answer. :sad:
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
Pegman
Posts: 373
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
Gender: Male
Location: The Deep South

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by Pegman »

My start time is 7 am.....................guess what time I start :hmmmm

I throw off part of a town centre walk, and I'm always being asked why I haven't finished when the FT's come to get it.

I just tell them to take whats done,
I'm not coming in early so they can get out early
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% United, 100% Unofficial
ashadd
Posts: 605
Joined: 03 Oct 2008, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by ashadd »

Pegman wrote:My start time is 7 am.....................guess what time I start :hmmmm
is that a trick question ?
I married my wife for her looks, but not the one she gave me when i said i was going to be a postman.
Pegman
Posts: 373
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 22:41
Gender: Male
Location: The Deep South

Re: Do u work for nothing???

Post by Pegman »

ashadd wrote:
Pegman wrote:My start time is 7 am.....................guess what time I start :hmmmm
is that a trick question ?
Onlyif you think I'm daft and work for nothing :nana
http://www.onlyoneunited.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

100% United, 100% Unofficial