ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

TIME TO CUT LABOUR FUNDING ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.

SHOULD THE CWU STOP FUNDING LABOUR

Poll ended at 26 Jul 2007, 20:04

YES
41
95%
NO
2
5%
 
Total votes: 43

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72744
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: political levy

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

brothermagrew wrote:
comrade wrote:opt out now get me an application form!!!!!!!
He has done it before and he will do it again when asked. Come on Teebs point them to the link for withdrawing from the political levy.
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/forum/vi ... php?t=3855
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Daniel Dunglas Home
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 19:31

Post by Daniel Dunglas Home »

We do have some back-benchers on our side and they've publicly said Brown needs to be briefed personally on the situation including the specifics. Hutton is the minister more dierctly responsible but he's still copping out.
I still support Labour in the broad sense they'd never have won even ONE election on old Labour values (unfortunately as far as im concerned) and ANY Labour government is better than Toryism.
mailjock
ROYAL MAIL CUSTOMER SERVICE
Posts: 100
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 16:23

Political Levy

Post by mailjock »

As I have said elsewhere - in general the working class will get a better deal overall from Labour than Tory.

The more I think about it the more I think Brown was stung into making a stupid remark - I think he will be regretting it today and so he should and he should bloody apologise for it. But I think he will be getting pressured by other MPs and there are some signs of that. But his fitness to govern really is called into account over his ill-considered outburst during PM Question Time. And I've been a lifelong Labour supporter and voter who is seriously considering my position. I have already torn-up my party card and won't be going back on that unless Brown apologises. Never mind CWU members - what about other trade unionists and their leader - the message Brown is sending out is don't even bother to go on strike and follow the legal processes - just lie down and accept what your bosses want.

It sounds a real warning bell for industrial relations in this country but methinks Brown will end up more a Ted Heath figure of derision than be able to wear the Iron Lady's stell skirts much as he would want to follow in her footsteps I'm afraid he just won't have the bottle in the long run.

I don't want to remove the political levy from MPs who support us but I want to punish MPs who don't and any CWU sponsored MP who does not declare their support for us MUST have their sponsorship removed and this action made public.

We are in a fight to the death here and quite simply if you are not with us then you must be against us - so don't come sucking at election time looking for our money if you don't stand with us now.
barkersboy
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 105
Joined: 03 Jul 2007, 12:11

Post by barkersboy »

I have never subscribed to the political fund. My reasons for that are much the same as members on this forum. To blandly support a political party just because we agree witheir principles does not mean we will get value for money.

If I subscribed to a service provider (internet, insurance, banks, motoring organisations etc) I would expect a certain level of service for my money. If the provider fell short of my expectations I would switch provider.

I am not saying 'take money away from labour and give it to another party'. I questioning how we target our funds.

During this current dispute we have had no backing from the Labour party (on the contrary, GB wants us to bow down and die). None of us expect the other parties to back us.

At this time many of our colleague have been brilliant in backing the calls for IA. To put the backing in context, many colleagues are now in deep financial troubles, and many do not know, or understand, how the politics affect them in this dispute.

I suspect that, some of these people will soon capitulate simply because they cannot cut back any further and they have to pay the bills and feed their children. I know that will happen at my workplace and I know, many of them females, will be crying with frustration and guilt.

To continue with political funding. We know the position of the Labour party. So turn the political fund into a Hardship Fund.

How we do that, is it legal? I dont know, but surely we should be looking after our own and not our enemies!
Daniel Dunglas Home
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 19:31

Post by Daniel Dunglas Home »

Seconded.
Daniel Dunglas Home
Posts: 57
Joined: 09 Oct 2007, 19:31

Post by Daniel Dunglas Home »

Mailjock that is.