ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Scanning for DPR

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Shaugi
Posts: 105
Joined: 25 Sep 2024, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Shaugi »

If you're using the PRO system for DPR then the scan assigns that packet to a DPR route as laid out on the PRO plan for that day.
Once the wave is submitted, the manager/DPR lead can adjust the workload per route by assigning packets to other DPR routes and is given an estimated total time for each route. They can then set a departure time which chucks out the customer emails with estimated delivery window.
Once the route is confirmed it is optimised and sent to the cloud for downloading.

The DPR drivers then download the route on to a PDA, it is already optimised and they can enter van loading mode. In that mode, any packet they scan will either give a drop number or a message to say its not on their manifest.

So yes DPR will usually scan again to number up the packets as it makes the job easier. You can load the van in the order you are delivering and just work through the numbers as you deliver.
Any address one the DPR manifest will be the one put in when the original scanning happened. It's not unheard of for people to select the wrong address from a list when scanning then the DPR deliver to the wrong place cos they didn't bother to actually look at the parcel to confirm the right address.
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Hitcher »

@Shaugi

Do you what the time on the PRO plan the managers use actually includes?

My lino told me it's everything for my day but I'm sure that's not right because when I download my DPR, add my break, and my start time it's nearly always past my finish time. It doesn't seem to add all time involved indoors like sorting of packets from the metal DPR cages to yorks, sorting out any miss-sorts/broken boxes, optimising the route, van checks, and van loading.
Shaugi
Posts: 105
Joined: 25 Sep 2024, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Shaugi »

Hitcher wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2026, 22:16
@Shaugi

Do you what the time on the PRO plan the managers use actually includes?

My lino told me it's everything for my day but I'm sure that's not right because when I download my DPR, add my break, and my start time it's nearly always past my finish time. It doesn't seem to add all time involved indoors like sorting of packets from the metal DPR cages to yorks, sorting out any miss-sorts/broken boxes, optimising the route, van checks, and van loading.
The PRO time is the time for the travel to route, complete the route and travel back to DO with 3mins allowed per drop.
So if PRO says the route is 5hrs then that is 5 hours from leaving the DO to getting back.
PRO optimises the route for you, all you should need to do is download the dpr route to PDA, go to van loading, number/bag damaged/toss missorts as you load then depart depot.
We have a few dpr that number up then load but most tend to number as they load.
One doesn't even number...she just loads up and heads out which is quite frankly madness :crazy:
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Hitcher »

Shaugi wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2026, 08:05
The PRO time is the time for the travel to route, complete the route and travel back to DO with 3mins allowed per drop.
So if PRO says the route is 5hrs then that is 5 hours from leaving the DO to getting back.
PRO optimises the route for you, all you should need to do is download the dpr route to PDA, go to van loading, number/bag damaged/toss missorts as you load then depart depot.
We have a few dpr that number up then load but most tend to number as they load.
One doesn't even number...she just loads up and heads out which is quite frankly madness :crazy:
But the PRO time is longer than the route time I get when I download it to my PDA, it's just not as long as my full day.

I don't number mine either, I just load them in order.
Shaugi
Posts: 105
Joined: 25 Sep 2024, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Shaugi »

Hitcher wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2026, 09:39
Shaugi wrote: ↑
27 Sep 2026, 08:05
The PRO time is the time for the travel to route, complete the route and travel back to DO with 3mins allowed per drop.
So if PRO says the route is 5hrs then that is 5 hours from leaving the DO to getting back.
PRO optimises the route for you, all you should need to do is download the dpr route to PDA, go to van loading, number/bag damaged/toss missorts as you load then depart depot.
We have a few dpr that number up then load but most tend to number as they load.
One doesn't even number...she just loads up and heads out which is quite frankly madness :crazy:
But the PRO time is longer than the route time I get when I download it to my PDA, it's just not as long as my full day.

I don't number mine either, I just load them in order.
Odd...ours is within 10 mins or so.

No numbering...madness.
I mean...I don't number on my HCT duty but if I do DPR I'd rather number if I'm over 100 drops
TopperGas
Posts: 3523
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by TopperGas »

OikOik wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2026, 22:10
All DOs should be scanning them on a morning as this is where you find inflights if they need to go post office, rescheduled, collection etc right?
In the past during IPS we always scanned every Tracked item however the business decided that was no longer necessary when we moved to individually scanning tracked to the core route?
OikOik
Posts: 86
Joined: 31 Aug 2024, 20:17
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by OikOik »

TopperGas wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2026, 19:24
OikOik wrote: ↑
20 Sep 2026, 22:10
All DOs should be scanning them on a morning as this is where you find inflights if they need to go post office, rescheduled, collection etc right?
In the past during IPS we always scanned every Tracked item however the business decided that was no longer necessary when we moved to individually scanning tracked to the core route?
Not a clue, what I said is what we do at my DO though.
I know some people in my DO don't even scan to a core route. Maybe stuck in their old ways. :arrrghhh
Hitcher
Posts: 1532
Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Hitcher »

Shaugi wrote: ↑
29 Sep 2026, 18:55
No numbering...madness.
I mean...I don't number on my HCT duty but if I do DPR I'd rather number if I'm over 100 drops
Yeah, I just don't see the point for me personally as I'm putting them in order into 4 zones so I'm working from left to right through the zones.
Shaugi
Posts: 105
Joined: 25 Sep 2024, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: Scanning for DPR

Post by Shaugi »

oh, only 4 zones.
When I go on DPR its always 6 zones and the van rammed full lol