ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

2.0 and 2.1

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3223
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by Acca Dacca »

Mr Rush wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2024, 16:39
HTPostman wrote: ↑
04 Dec 2024, 22:43
I’ve just been able to pre sign for it online
Doesn't that completely defeat the point of getting a signature? The signature is supposed to be proof of delivery.
Indeed

A strange concept

And especially so when UPS customer is whoever sent the item and wanted the signature - not the person getting it delivered
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by HTPostman »

I did sign for it - digitally online. The declaration/tick box basically said I accept responsibility if anything happens.

Seller has my signature, a picture of the parcel in a safe place and a happy purchaser.
I have the item, signed for, left in my designated safe place.
I don’t have to reschedule delivery for a pack of £8 guitar plectrums. Everyone is happy.

Likewise I’ve just signed my tax return for my accountant online. No back and forth with documents in the post or having to make a trip to their office to sign things.

I would not be surprised to see others roll it out and offer this service.

As for customer, we know full well at RM it all depends what angle management are coming from - the sender is the customer until they decide the recipient is the customer to suit their figures/view.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
User avatar
Basildon Bond
Posts: 410
Joined: 21 Dec 2022, 19:21
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by Basildon Bond »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2024, 22:53
I did sign for it - digitally online. The declaration/tick box basically said I accept responsibility if anything happens.

Seller has my signature, a picture of the parcel in a safe place and a happy purchaser.
I have the item, signed for, left in my designated safe place.
It all sounds good until something goes wrong. If you're pre-signing then I guess you're waiving some right(s) to complain if the item does go missing or is stolen.

There are three types of people I recognise that have parcels stolen. First, those where it happens infrequently but often enough that they know what to do; they are just mad it's "happened again". Then there are the chancers; the only packages that go missing are the high value items - the iPhone or iPad around Christmas when they know parcel couriers are rushing and play the system. Finally there are the shell-shocked first-timers; standing at their front door, almost self-soothing by hugging themselves, drawing their cardigan tighter around themselves whilst staring at the corners of their front garden and no longer recognising the place their live.
kazardaimenu
Posts: 1391
Joined: 13 Apr 2022, 19:11
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by kazardaimenu »

Yeah you wouldn’t do it for a new phone, you’d want that in your hands but some stuff is getting sent recorded delivery via post office just because it has tracking. Get with the times people send it T48 and the postman will pick it up from your door for free :crazy:
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by HTPostman »

Basildon Bond wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 04:08
HTPostman wrote: ↑
05 Dec 2024, 22:53
I did sign for it - digitally online. The declaration/tick box basically said I accept responsibility if anything happens.

Seller has my signature, a picture of the parcel in a safe place and a happy purchaser.
I have the item, signed for, left in my designated safe place.
It all sounds good until something goes wrong. If you're pre-signing then I guess you're waiving some right(s) to complain if the item does go missing or is stolen.

There are three types of people I recognise that have parcels stolen. First, those where it happens infrequently but often enough that they know what to do; they are just mad it's "happened again". Then there are the chancers; the only packages that go missing are the high value items - the iPhone or iPad around Christmas when they know parcel couriers are rushing and play the system. Finally there are the shell-shocked first-timers; standing at their front door, almost self-soothing by hugging themselves, drawing their cardigan tighter around themselves whilst staring at the corners of their front garden and no longer recognising the place their live.
Oh I fully agree. I guess I fall in the ‘it’s only £8 and I can’t understand why they sent it requiring a signature (it never said that in the eBay postage description otherwise I’d have chosen a different seller) so I’m happy taking that risk’ category. Obviously I would never have approached things the same way had it been a £3000 Les Paul.

Maybe I’m just too trusting/easygoing.

But going back to my original point, RM need new ideas that removes the areas of the job that add time. For example P739s need revolutionising, you guys shouldn’t be stood there for 3 minutes writing out tracking numbers in the pouring rain.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by SpacePhoenix »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 08:18
But going back to my original point, RM need new ideas that removes the areas of the job that add time. For example P739s need revolutionising, you guys shouldn’t be stood there for 3 minutes writing out tracking numbers in the pouring rain.
RM should look into some sort of portable printer like what railway guards use. With 2D barcodes on a lot more items in theory it'd just be a case of scanning the 2D barcode to grab the required info for a 739 to be printed
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4112
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by ted_e_bear »

kazardaimenu wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 06:40
Yeah you wouldn’t do it for a new phone, you’d want that in your hands but some stuff is getting sent recorded delivery via post office just because it has tracking. Get with the times people send it T48 and the postman will pick it up from your door for free :crazy:
It's been possible to buy tracked in a post office for a few months now but I know what you mean, prior to that I reckon a lot of specials were only purchased in a post office because we/they didn't offer the suitable service.
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1507
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by HTPostman »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 08:29
HTPostman wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 08:18
But going back to my original point, RM need new ideas that removes the areas of the job that add time. For example P739s need revolutionising, you guys shouldn’t be stood there for 3 minutes writing out tracking numbers in the pouring rain.
RM should look into some sort of portable printer like what railway guards use. With 2D barcodes on a lot more items in theory it'd just be a case of scanning the 2D barcode to grab the required info for a 739 to be printed
Don’t want to take it too far off topic, but I think with a portable printer people would forget to top up the paper/ink, some idiots would store their cigarette papers in the bottom where they’d soon get stuck and they’d last a few weeks before they stop working and managers would shrug their shoulders and simply say it is what it is, just go back to P739.

I’ve not had a missed delivery for a few years (helps having 3 safe places on my property!) but I know FedEx used to leave a card with an already printed parcel number on, I always wondered how that worked.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
Mr Rush
Posts: 3353
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by Mr Rush »

HTPostman wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2024, 08:18
For example P739s need revolutionising, you guys shouldn’t be stood there for 3 minutes writing out tracking numbers in the pouring rain.
What if... hear me out... they had peel-off barcodes? This is exactly why we need DK's investment.
The machine stops.
norris9
Posts: 2696
Joined: 27 Feb 2019, 17:32
Gender: Female

Re: 2.0 and 2.1

Post by norris9 »

What's the point in implementing Delivery 2.0 - the one long frame thing....when the USO is about to change, if the USO change will need yet another revision.