ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Second job

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postman2014
Posts: 78
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 00:15
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by postman2014 »

I did a 2nd job in lockdown....up until I seen how much tax they take on your 2nd job (20% min + NI).
Skuse
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by Skuse »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
08 May 2022, 09:43
Skuse wrote: ↑
08 May 2022, 08:58

Yes I’m lucky enough to be a professional driver on the 7:5t :left:
(Joke Warning) I've seen they way some of you guys drive, I think "Professional" is pushing it a bit! :cuppa
Charming lol and don’t forget the ladies 🤣
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Re: Second job

Post by Route1 »

Lawrencepa2014 wrote: ↑
07 May 2022, 20:56
I’m considering taking a second job as an Argos delivery driver in the evenings. Will RM allow this? I read somewhere that second jobs that are drivers jobs wouldn’t be allowed but I just wanted to confirm
Second jobs are allowed. They just cant be a competitor.

Best to ask your manager or HR if Argos driver is allowed. I know people do Dominoes & take-a-way deliveries which although are deliveries, they are not competitors.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by POSTMAN »

I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Second job

Post by Cucumber »

I think you should be allowed to work for a competitor as long as you declare it.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by yellowbelly »

Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 14:33
I think you should be allowed to work for a competitor as long as you declare it.
And if you trip and injure yourself working for Argos delivery resulting in unfit for RM work should RM then pay your sick pay?
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Second job

Post by Cucumber »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 18:04
Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 14:33
I think you should be allowed to work for a competitor as long as you declare it.
And if you trip and injure yourself working for Argos delivery resulting in unfit for RM work should RM then pay your sick pay?
Does the same go for playing football or hillclimbing or anything else people do in their time away from Royal Mail?
yellowbelly
Posts: 3728
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by yellowbelly »

Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 18:49
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 18:04
Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 14:33
I think you should be allowed to work for a competitor as long as you declare it.
And if you trip and injure yourself working for Argos delivery resulting in unfit for RM work should RM then pay your sick pay?
Does the same go for playing football or hillclimbing or anything else people do in their time away from Royal Mail?
Business Standards don't prevent you from doing those things though, until they do then RM wouldn't have
a case to stop paying you sick pay.
Cucumber
Posts: 1052
Joined: 09 Dec 2018, 10:24
Gender: Female

Re: Second job

Post by Cucumber »

yellowbelly wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 21:20
Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 18:49
yellowbelly wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 18:04
Cucumber wrote: ↑
10 May 2022, 14:33
I think you should be allowed to work for a competitor as long as you declare it.
And if you trip and injure yourself working for Argos delivery resulting in unfit for RM work should RM then pay your sick pay?
Does the same go for playing football or hillclimbing or anything else people do in their time away from Royal Mail?
Business Standards don't prevent you from doing those things though, until they do then RM wouldn't have
a case to stop paying you sick pay.
I highly doubt it's the sick pay angle that RM are bothered about if you have an accident working with a competitor.
We have plenty of people with second jobs in our place, with quite a few more 'dangerous' than being a postie.
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by mickeymacca »

postman2014 wrote: ↑
08 May 2022, 13:55
I did a 2nd job in lockdown....up until I seen how much tax they take on your 2nd job (20% min + NI).
you don't pay NI on 2nd jobs up to £184, so in many respects given the derisory pay rate of docket, it is probably more financially beneficial to get a part time gig rather than flogging yourself (for less than your basic at times).....
'Libraries gave us power'
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by Dorset Plodder »

mickeymacca wrote: ↑
13 May 2022, 19:12

you don't pay NI on 2nd jobs up to £184, so in many respects given the derisory pay rate of docket, it is probably more financially beneficial to get a part time gig rather than flogging yourself (for less than your basic at times).....
We've got a few "Overtime Bandits" in my place, working 23-25 hours a week. One was complaining to me that they were going to be losing some docket and he didn't want to lose the money. At the time I suggested just what you've said. :thumbup

Get a Part Time job somewhere else! A least then you're not being held over a barrel by RM. Overtime's not guaranteed and the DOM will stop it as soon as his budget comes under pressure. One of them took up a cleaning job and took great delight in telling the DOM he couldn't help him out as he had to get to his other job! The look on the DOMs face ... Priceless. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
mickeymacca
Posts: 503
Joined: 21 Jun 2012, 18:03
Gender: Male

Re: Second job

Post by mickeymacca »

Ha that's great. Yeah you're spot on, nobody should be compelled to feel they owe RM anything with regards to goodwill if they're own financial position is undermined, especially now that such an emphasis appears to be made on cost-cutting from a bonus driven, dividend paying, profit monster.... :thumbup
'Libraries gave us power'