ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
TopperGas
Posts: 3525
Joined: 13 Feb 2021, 22:46
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by TopperGas »

exetererica wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 15:58
jessicarabbit wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 17:56
A large percentage of postman already doorstep safely.

Could you please explain what 'doorstep safely' means :hmmmm

There is a tried and trusted method of writing a card and taking the item back to the depot,

#keep it safe #keep your job safe
In my experience If you're on a rural route or deliver to a small town then parcels then rarely get taken back as they are rarely stolen, I doubt we get many DoR's outside of the large cities/towns? If so then this does seem a sledge hammer to crack a nut approach,
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by claretandblue »

Dorset Plodder wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 09:25
jessicarabbit wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 17:56
Accept it or not. A large percentage of postman already doorstep safely. There will always be those that only write dockets because they fear for their jobs but then come in early or moan to managers that other people are making time. I accept that as a reserve you don't really get to know the rounds so dockets are the safest course of action. But when you have been feeding Mrs Jones her eBay shoe fettish for the last 3 years you know she doesn't want to go and pick them up from the counter and queue in the rain to be insulted and told we can't find it it's not been booked in yet. You and her have an understanding that she wants it left behind the bin. If we formalise this in some way great. If not me and Mrs Jones don't care we are still going to carry on the way we have for the last 3 years.
I can sympathise with this view point JR. RM state one thing ... Posties do another. I think a lot of us Leave Packets, with the agreement of the Resident , that might not strictly comply to RM's Safe Place criteria. :shock: When making these arrangements I always make one proviso: Any complaints about parcels going missing and you'll be travelling to the DO to collect them in future.

I'm lucky in that I'm the Duty Holder and know my Residents well, I can appreciate it's different for Reserves who don't know the area. I'll never bollock them for leaving 739s (as happened to me as a Reserve, "Why did you bloody bring that lot back..... I've got to take it back out .... they're a Good Tipper .... I don't want to upset them etc"?) I'll explain to the Resident the next day if they ask why their packet wasn't left and give them their options for local collect or redelivery. IMO it's part of the Duty Holders job to educate their Residents about the ever changing mail system because RM never advertise ANYTHING!

It always makes me laugh when Posties have been doing something for years and then RM have a Brain Storm and suggest doing just that: Preparing all D2Ds on a Monday and just doing a "Warm" delivery for example. :cuppa
Same here, been on same duty for 9 years, no DoR, anyone who complains about safeplacing gets carded, simples.
matthew68
Posts: 516
Joined: 16 Feb 2011, 22:10
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by matthew68 »

greengiant wrote: ↑
20 Feb 2022, 08:31
matthew68 wrote: ↑
19 Feb 2022, 20:27
greengiant wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 19:14
jessicarabbit wrote: ↑
18 Feb 2022, 17:56
Accept it or not. A large percentage of postman already doorstep safely. There will always be those that only write dockets because they fear for their jobs but then come in early or moan to managers that other people are making time. I accept that as a reserve you don't really get to know the rounds so dockets are the safest course of action. But when you have been feeding Mrs Jones her eBay shoe fettish for the last 3 years you know she doesn't want to go and pick them up from the counter and queue in the rain to be insulted and told we can't find it it's not been booked in yet. You and her have an understanding that she wants it left behind the bin. If we formalise this in some way great. If not me and Mrs Jones don't care we are still going to carry on the way we have for the last 3 years.
Until Mrs Jones eBay packet goes missing from her "safe place"? Do you think Mrs Jones will be happy? Or will she be fed up that her eBay purchase has gone missing and therefore must claim through customer services?
Nothing happens anyway we have 2 guys at our place in a shared van who have complaints everywhere as I sometimes work late in office so I’ve seen how many! The floater also says people always moaning about miss delivery and parcels left outside some have gone missing nd others soaking wet! They seem to get away with it as manager too lightweight to discipline them so they just carry on, it seems like you have to commit murder for anything to be said to some people
Until your DOM decides to cut hours from the office, and conducts those with repeat denial of recipient complaints out of a job?
I know where you’re coming from but unfortunately these guys charge around every day leaving parcels everywhere and get away of it they have done for years it seems like the manager scared to say anything to them so I can’t see anything happening and they’re not the only ones
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by POSTMAN »

Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
sfxdby
Posts: 81
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by sfxdby »

Royal Mail is in a mess with this right now, and it is getting to be a bit tiresome.
I think possibly the answer may be to have local arrangements, because one size isn't fitting all.

From my own point of view, I am fairly strict with my punters.
I ask them where they want me to leave their parcels.
95% of them are great - provide a box/shed/anywhere that is out of sight and under cover.
We use the safeplace and the docket has a date, address and no. of parcels.
5% don't get it. Either stupid or think that what they say goes.
I tell them I can't doorstep it. Docket the twits,

Now, I am being told that if the safeplace on the package or on PDA says to effectively doorstep it, that they are accepting liability, and that is what I should do.
But for only those parcels. Farce.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by POSTMAN »

Simon 'Just behind the plant pot please' Thompson

we need to deliver when customers are in - so two duties a day
I believe in a nominated safe place as much as you do - KYC - know your customer…
we need to change delivery - now urgent and important
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by 2yearpostie »

POSTMAN wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2022, 13:56
Simon 'Just behind the plant pot please' Thompson

we need to deliver when customers are in - so two duties a day
I believe in a nominated safe place as much as you do - KYC - know your customer…
we need to change delivery - now urgent and important
This a real quote?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32805
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by POSTMAN »

2yearpostie wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2022, 14:04
POSTMAN wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2022, 13:56
Simon 'Just behind the plant pot please' Thompson

we need to deliver when customers are in - so two duties a day
I believe in a nominated safe place as much as you do - KYC - know your customer…
we need to change delivery - now urgent and important
This a real quote?
Yes, it's also in the working round the clock thread.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Mr Rush
Posts: 3356
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by Mr Rush »

POSTMAN wrote: ↑
22 Feb 2022, 13:56
Simon 'Just behind the plant pot please' Thompson

we need to deliver when customers are in - so two duties a day
Two deliveries a day!? How retro.
The machine stops.
chocolatesaltyballs
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 106
Joined: 11 May 2014, 18:31
Gender: Male

Re: RMCtv : Make your own safeplace when you want next year?

Post by chocolatesaltyballs »

He probably means us having to backtrack with any that weren't in first attempt.