Some customers just see us as a nuisance. How annoying that we need to knock on the door and interupt their ' work from home ' day (to give them their special delivery parcel). Had a woman come bounding down the stairs after my third knock , she's snatches the parcel off me and shouts " i was on the bloody phone upstairs ".
And that was my problem because ?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Rude customers
-
dohnut
- Posts: 658
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
I get lots of them just opening there bedroom windows and saying leave it on doorstep, then again it is around 7.30 in the morning 
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
It never fails to amaze me just how utterly ignorant a surprisingly large proportion of people are in general, not just customers we deliver to.
When I'm out walking the dog for instance and have to walk right past someone on a path and I'll attempt to simply say hello or morning and they'll complete blank me and stare right through me like I'm invisible.
I can't understand how these people achieve any of the very basics of normal life.. relationships, jobs, social lives etc if they're lacking in such simple social skills that they're not even capable of acknowledging someone or saying morning when they walk past them.
When I'm out walking the dog for instance and have to walk right past someone on a path and I'll attempt to simply say hello or morning and they'll complete blank me and stare right through me like I'm invisible.
I can't understand how these people achieve any of the very basics of normal life.. relationships, jobs, social lives etc if they're lacking in such simple social skills that they're not even capable of acknowledging someone or saying morning when they walk past them.
-
goldy
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 13:58
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
I found people on rural rounds the most rude and they actually are more dependent on your service,it was mainly people in barn conversions who had probably moved up from London with a pile of cash but not all, some of the farmers were the worst,I was glad to get off and back onto town rounds because I couldn't help giving lip back so would have eventually got sacked.
-
WalkerX
- Posts: 432
- Joined: 20 Feb 2021, 22:31
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
You always remember the ignorant ones. In my experience they are in a minority, thankfully. Most will say good morning whilst walking their dogs ( I normally have to speak first tho`). Most people are pleased to see me when I`m bringing a parcel, and are very thankful, but then there are the odd ones.
-
HTPostman
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1507
- Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
You slowly get used to the rude customers on each round, just like you get used to the kind ones. Anyone who’s been rude to me go on my naughty list (in my head!), and I’ll no longer help them out - eg if I slip a parcel and drive past later and see they are now home, I’m not stopping. Likewise those tracked parcels that ridiculously come without full addresses go straight back to sender if it’s to one of them.
Obviously we all have bad days and I’ve had one woman shouting accusing me of stealing then the next day gave me a genuine apology, and I accept that and things are all good now. But the persistent rude ones get nothing from me.
It’s a shame when you think about it, we are all under pressure and if you’re working to your time and have to pick and choose who gets mail and/or standard parcels, you’re obviously going to give preference to people who are polite.
As for rurals I too have noticed people tend to be ruder than residential. My theory is most rural duties are done by more senior staff, the ones who don’t get moved off the duty to cover another round and are a bit more untouchable plus have less to lose if they are conducted because they are nearing retirement, so they are at Mr Smiths farm at near enough the same time day after day and you find they’ll do things which they shouldn’t (signing for items and then putting them in the shed).
So when someone who floats or is a reserve gets put on a rural and is at the farm later (or earlier) than the normal postman and doesn’t doorstep the parcel and doesn’t remember if the green tractor is out it means close the farm gate unless it’s a Tuesday because it’s thrashing day that day it leads to problems because ‘Eric always leaves my parcel in my shed.’
Obviously we all have bad days and I’ve had one woman shouting accusing me of stealing then the next day gave me a genuine apology, and I accept that and things are all good now. But the persistent rude ones get nothing from me.
It’s a shame when you think about it, we are all under pressure and if you’re working to your time and have to pick and choose who gets mail and/or standard parcels, you’re obviously going to give preference to people who are polite.
As for rurals I too have noticed people tend to be ruder than residential. My theory is most rural duties are done by more senior staff, the ones who don’t get moved off the duty to cover another round and are a bit more untouchable plus have less to lose if they are conducted because they are nearing retirement, so they are at Mr Smiths farm at near enough the same time day after day and you find they’ll do things which they shouldn’t (signing for items and then putting them in the shed).
So when someone who floats or is a reserve gets put on a rural and is at the farm later (or earlier) than the normal postman and doesn’t doorstep the parcel and doesn’t remember if the green tractor is out it means close the farm gate unless it’s a Tuesday because it’s thrashing day that day it leads to problems because ‘Eric always leaves my parcel in my shed.’
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.
526
526
-
DiamondSmiles
- Posts: 498
- Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
Rude customers just go in the old mental notebook, there will come a time you can get your revenge!
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Re: Rude customers
Yes, the red card comes out of the pocket,DiamondSmiles wrote: ↑13 Jan 2022, 17:49Rude customers just go in the old mental notebook, there will come a time you can get your revenge!