ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Time Off In December?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hcaeolb
Posts: 5
Joined: 19 Aug 2021, 10:29
Gender: Male

Re: Time Off In December?

Post by hcaeolb »

Thanks for the replies all. Much appreciated.

I had already put this to my manager, as a "theoretical" situation a few months ago, as I thought it was on the horizon.

At the time he started off at "no chance". Then I asked about taking a 6 month career break / sabbatical to include the time off. He claimed to not know what that was, and then said he'd refuse it once it was explained. How he knew he could refuse something that he claimed not to know about is another question.

I then asked what the level of discipline would be if I just phoned in sick, he just said "don't". So I then mentioned that my contract only requires that I give a weeks notice before quitting, which might not be ideal for him in the lead up to xmas (just to be clear, this situation is important enough for me to take that risk). At that point he said he "might" be able to talk to his boss about it.

Just wanted to see if I have any other angles as I'm about to request the time off formally. Sounds like the ball will be in his court. Thanks again for the suggestions.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Time Off In December?

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

hcaeolb wrote: ↑
08 Sep 2021, 10:25
Thanks for the replies all. Much appreciated.

I had already put this to my manager, as a "theoretical" situation a few months ago, as I thought it was on the horizon.

At the time he started off at "no chance". Then I asked about taking a 6 month career break / sabbatical to include the time off. He claimed to not know what that was, and then said he'd refuse it once it was explained. How he knew he could refuse something that he claimed not to know about is another question.

I then asked what the level of discipline would be if I just phoned in sick, he just said "don't". So I then mentioned that my contract only requires that I give a weeks notice before quitting, which might not be ideal for him in the lead up to xmas (just to be clear, this situation is important enough for me to take that risk). At that point he said he "might" be able to talk to his boss about it.

Just wanted to see if I have any other angles as I'm about to request the time off formally. Sounds like the ball will be in his court. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Because it seems to be important to take that time off, hcaeolb, keep putting pressure on your manager. And on his manager. And see if your CWU rep could back you up.

It's only September now but with all the constant hounding you give these managers, they'll have to eventually relent and accommodate your request. And they should be able to have an agency temp fill in for you when the time comes.

I mean, jeez. These RM managers must think we're robots, not humans. :evil/mad