ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Jmartindale130
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Jul 2021, 16:48
Gender: Male

What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Jmartindale130 »

So I started last Monday doing the online course, Tuesday to Friday I was paired up with somebody to follow them do their round

Guy I was paired up with has been brilliant, really nice and answered all my questions.

I had to use my own car to follow him (management had not informed me of this until we were ready to go out)

Not too happy about having to use own car but tomorrow he is off work so I'm not sure what is going to happen, what's the process if I didn't have my own car? I haven't been given a PDA login or even an ID badge so I can't see me going out on my own?

I've checked with my insurance and I'm not covered for business use so I can't really be using my car anyway. What do you think I should expect of tomorrow?

Thanks
neil2k
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jun 2021, 17:16
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by neil2k »

Refuse.

Am assuming you haven't done driver training?

You're not insured to use your own car, get dropped off at work that'll solve the problem.
Jmartindale130
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Jul 2021, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Jmartindale130 »

Yeah I haven't done driver training yet, but if I tell them I don't have use of my car I'm not sure what I'll be doing if I can't share a van and have no access to a vehicle?
Peejay8T8
Posts: 32
Joined: 13 Mar 2020, 06:27
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Peejay8T8 »

Remember this phrase..."Oh bugger! I've walked in today, Sorry"
Jmartindale130
Posts: 16
Joined: 06 Jul 2021, 16:48
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Jmartindale130 »

But what do you think my work day would be like?

If I have no transport?
P13
Posts: 1016
Joined: 11 Oct 2007, 14:35
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by P13 »

Jmartindale130 wrote: ↑
11 Jul 2021, 21:08
But what do you think my work day would be like?

If I have no transport?
It's your managers responsibility to deal with that , supply you with a van or maybe get a bus out to your delivery or have you on a walk near the office
Skuse
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 162
Joined: 01 Jun 2013, 18:54
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Skuse »

25 years ago I was asked if I could ride a bike and was issued one on first day lol
HTPostman
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1505
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 23:53
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by HTPostman »

I’d absolutely urge you not to use your car. If you don’t feel comfortable telling your manager you refuse to use it, just make up a white lie - for your first day yes you drove in because you wanted to be sure everything went to plan but it’s actually your partners car and they use it for work. 100% trust me on this one, don’t use it.

As for your typical day, here new starters usually get out on HCT (those big trolley pram things) with an experienced postman who shows them the ropes for 3 days. Quite often you’ll then be doing one of those HCT rounds until you do your changeover (driving course so you can drive a van) then you’ll be doing park and loops with another postie, or possibly trained up to do rural rounds on your own in a van although it’s unlikely until you’ve got more experience under your belt.
The day is gonna come when we’re all gonna have to testify.

526
WASD
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 375
Joined: 03 Jul 2019, 12:15
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by WASD »

Sorry to say this, but you've probably landed in an office that has signs of bullying, manipulating, and general toxic behaviour. I suggest you keep your options open as you will more than likely question taking this job.

Managers know full well car use is a no no, but all liability lies with your licence, and no one wants to lose their licence. You can't report this to anyone sadly either, not that that would your life any easier.

Basically the game is, join union, turn up at your start time, work at whatever pace is good with you, finish on time. You're supposed to tell a manager if you can't complete each day, if you do that they'll either leave you alone or threaten you with your job, depending on their attitude.

Your work day will involve anything, but if ever unsure just ask for training or don't do it. Sadly this job expects people to behave like zombies.

Good luck!
Cliffy12
Posts: 11
Joined: 10 Feb 2019, 11:17
Gender: Female

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Cliffy12 »

Management will expect you to know everything - but teach you nothing and will s**t on you from a great height whenever the opportunity arises.
Turn up on time (but not before) do your job, try not to f**k up, if it moves - scan it !
The majority of your colleagues will be brilliant and will always try to help if they can, there's always a few assholes - just don't let the pr**s get to you.
Go in, do the job, go home.
Watch out for dogs - especially in this weather.
Keep hydrated.
Good luck !
Jnpham1990
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Feb 2019, 09:37
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by Jnpham1990 »

* The management are not your friends, your colleagues are for the most part as long as you don't do anything to give them a reason not to want to befriend you. (The management is bound to differ from office to office but from past experiences, i've only known management to be power driven opportunists.)

*Don't expect anyone to train you on routes as you may be disappointed when they do not. (I was only trained by the workplace coach during my initiation and then when he retired shortly thereafter, no one gave a damn about pointing me in the right direction. I was thrown in the deep end.)

*Always make sure that you are being paid the correct wages and write down your overtime on the available overtime sheet. (There have been times when even after writing down my overtime, the management have somehow managed to screw it up.)

*When in a situation that angers you, try your very best to remain composed as verbal abuse no matter what shape or form will land you a potential suspension and convey your point in an appropiate manner. (I found this out when i confronted a member of management and proceeded to relay facts that they knew were true but refused to admit it. I also added some profanity to further emphasize my point. I didn't get suspended but i was threatened with suspension.)

*Don't be afraid to decline overtime as it is always optional. (There will be times when they will pull rank on you but if you are unable to do overtime, then you can't do overtime. End of story. They will have to "think" of another solution to appease their masters.)

*Always fill out p739 cards fully to help your colleagues who may require more context on the whereabouts of the parcel and who it is for and if you leave a parcel with a neighbour, let the customer know. (This is probably applicable to a number of offices but the number of times i've seen customers come in looking for their parcel, only for it to be left with a neighbour without any notice from the postie and the tracking to say that we've delivered the parcel. Causes unnecessary problems for all parties involved.)

*Avoid putting special deliveries or any reg through the letterbox because you never know if the customer will take advantage of the situation and state that they did not receive said item or the item has been posted opened all for the purpose of being compensated. (This is a situation that i've seen on numerous occasions. If this happens, you would usually get flagged for a period of time in which if you make another mistake of the same nature then you could end up forfeiting your job. Although i've noticed some offices dealing with this situation differently.)

*If a customer designates a safe place for their parcel, always make sound judgement on whether or not the safe place is actually safe or viable. (An example would be if a customer asks you to leave the parcel behind or by the bins. Most of the time, that is not a great place to leave the parcel as you don't know the timetable in which the rubbish is picked up so technically if that does happen then it should be the fault of the customer however it's the responsibility of the postie to deliver parcels safely and successfully so you will end up being blamed in the end unfortunately.)

*Always make sure you've handed in all 739s. You don't want someone coming after you asking about this item or that item. (I've witnessed numerous occasions where a postie has forgotten a packet/parcel that they still had in their possession causing issues for the enquiry office staff who has to deal with the customer.)

Like most jobs, there will be good days and bad days but always focus on doing the best that you can and don't stress too much if you are unable to finish as the beginning is always the hardest part and then as you acquire more experience, it begins to become second nature almost. Always ask if you're unsure of anything because knowledge is power to the beholder. I'm sure your work colleagues would be happy to provide further advice if needed unless they're all selfish and see you as a potential threat to their role. I wish you the best of luck at your role with Royal Mail :)
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by fb1969 »

Jnpham1990 wrote: ↑
16 Jul 2021, 00:18
* The management are not your friends, your colleagues are for the most part as long as you don't do anything to give them a reason not to want to befriend you.
In some offices breathing, being part time, doing a duty that someone else wanted to do, looking at someone in a 'funny' way, taking your break and loads of other reasons will mean about a third of the workforce will ignore you from day one. They will only notice you when they want to laugh at someone who may be struggling, doing that is a better option for them than actually offering to help - their mates will see that as a sign of weakness and will then laugh at them. It is called bullying and is fairly common in most offices, management will ignore it as the ones doing it will do anything for management.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: What should I expect? (new starter, day 5)

Post by POSTMAN »

Great post Jnpham1990, thankyou.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.