ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by cheerful »

Some items that I've found really handy over the last 5 years as a postie:

Elastoplast Waterproof plasters - I've tried a few different brands, and accidentally posted a bloody plaster through someones letterbox, but after trying the Elastoplant Waterproof plasters, they really, properly stick.

Compeed Blister plasters
- I had 3 weeks off and got the worst blisters I've ever had when I came back. These guys properly stick. The Morrisons brand look very similar, but weren't anywhere near as good.

Strechy belts - I used to use a normal belt and would get red imprints on my waist, but since switching to this strechy belt it's been fine. Been using it 5 years and it's still working (looks a bit worn though). Probably don't need to get the M&S belt, but I did try a really cheap copy and it came apart in days.

Vacuum flasks - A decent 750ml vacuum flask is great, in summer I leave it in the fridge with the cap loose overnight, shove some ice in it before I go to work and it'll stay cold all day. I use silicone ice lolly moulds to get large ice "cubes" which fit perfectly into the flask. Using ice water instead of normal water means you'll drink a lot less, so less need to pee.

Pens
- Uni Powertank pens have pressurised ink containers. Basically they'll write in the rain on wet card without any bother, and with the ink being a sealed container they don't leak either. The pens with ink thickness of 0.5 and 1.0 unscrew in a structurally strong place, but the 0.7 thickness pens unscrew by the push button, which can break if the pen bends in your pocket.

Headphones and audiobooks - they change the job from being a bit boring to being pretty great. You can get audiobooks for free using your library card and the Libby or Overdrive app, and there are loads of decent podcasts out there.

Decent footwear - I had trouble with my feet and went to Coldwold Outdoors. My feet were measured by length, width and height. I assumed it was just for show, but the £100 trainers I was recommended are the most comfortable footwear I've ever had. I can't even guess how many thousands of miles I've walked in them. Used them most of the 5 years I've been a postie (except when management crack down on non RM footwear), and they still have no holes (resoled them a few times, but no leaks).

Anyone got any other stuff to add to the list?

Edit: adding Chafing - Lanacane anti chaffing gel works fairly well. They also do a cream and a spray, haven't tried them. I did try Bodyglide, and wasn't impressed. I also recommend some long legged boxers with 10%ish of Lycra / Elastane, they'll grip to your skin and if you pull them up before you start walking it'll greatly reduce the chafing.
Last edited by cheerful on 27 Jun 2021, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
postieblueshirt
Posts: 1241
Joined: 01 Oct 2019, 22:05
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by postieblueshirt »

That was fun to read the idea with the flask sounds good but how on earth can you do this job and listen to an audio book?
Postmandan17
Posts: 8
Joined: 01 Oct 2020, 17:28
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Postmandan17 »

I literally would quit tomorrow if I couldn't listen to audiobooks. Currently 12 hours into the battle of stalingrad
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by claretandblue »

I listen to podcasts/radio everyday while walking on my round.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by twoloops »

Agreed, I could not do this mind-numbing dead head job without some interesting podcasts to listen to.
westy23
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 66
Joined: 24 Aug 2010, 10:35
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by westy23 »

BBC sounds.
Spycatcher is a good series of podcasts.
Cedar_Room
Posts: 826
Joined: 31 Aug 2007, 14:09

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Cedar_Room »

Sometimes Spotify,sometimes 6music,sometimes a podcast,sometimes nothing. Depends what mood I’m in really
“Shorts,in this weather?!”

“If they’re bills I don’t want ‘em!”

“What’s she been ordering now?”
mjd24
Posts: 1409
Joined: 11 May 2008, 18:48

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by mjd24 »

Ive tried listening to stuff a couple of times but i had issues with earphones falling out of ears or just being annoying, and also felt a bit sort of rude when approaching people with them in.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Got to agree with the Audio Books tip. :thumbup Download them FREE from the local library (non of this £7.99 a month subscription crap). I've currently downloaded over 200 books. :thumbup

If you have trouble with ear buds falling out get some of the type that hook over your ears. As for feeling rude wearing them .... loook around any high street, bus or train .... everyone's in their own little world. :crazy: The volume's not that high that you can't hear someone say "Good Morning"
although you you can pretend not to hear someone shout, "Shut my Bloody gate when you've finished" :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by cheerful »

I only listen to audiobooks on routes I know. When I'm on a walk I don't know I end up focusing too much on the real world.

I've tried many headphones over the last few years, ended up treating myself to a more expensive pair recently, but if someone is considering trying audiobooks I can highly recommend my previous set.

The Tozo T6, currently £25 (£36, but with a 30% voucher). Or more if you want it colourful. I got a white pair, so I'd be easier to see them if I dropped an earbud, but that only happens once every several months. Also at that price it's not a big deal if you lose one.

The website rtings.com does really in depth checks on stuff, and those had excellent low range isolation (really good at stopping traffic noise, but only muffles the frequencies used in human chat).

Sound quality is plenty good enough for audiobooks.

Controls are one tap for pause/play, two taps for forward/back (right/left bud) and three taps for Google Assistant.

Downsides are: they say they are waterproof, which they could be, but if they get heavily rained on it starts registering raindrops as taps, and the material the stormproof hood is made of also triggers it. They're only usable in the rain if you wear a hat. The carry case acts as a rechargeable battery, but the earbuds themselves only last about 4-5 hours.
Last edited by cheerful on 28 Jun 2021, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Dorset Plodder »

cheerful wrote: ↑
27 Jun 2021, 20:10
I've tried many headphones over the last few years, ended up treating myself to a more expensive pair recently, but if someone is considering trying audiobooks I can highly recommend my previous set.
Same here, tried loads. My main criteria is the price, I don't buy super expensive kit for work, I'll pick up a cheap pair whenever I see them. Have never been able to get on with ANY earbud types ... I must just have weird shaped ears! They just won't stay in. :shock:

When we used to have the bikes I used to go through loads of headsets, usually caught up on the handle bars as you got off, and on. Garden gates also claimed a few. Since we've lost the bikes they last a lot longer. TBH if I'm not listening to an Audio Book the day really drags. :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Willyarm
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Oct 2020, 19:03
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Willyarm »

I've started using aftershokz bone conduction headphones - the battery lasts all day, they're so light I forget I'm wearing them sometimes, properly waterproof, can't fall out of your ears and because your ears aren't covered you can still hear cars coming/people talking to you.

If you're a bit of an audiophile you might not want them as your only set of headphones as they're a bit light on the bass. They're also not the cheapest, but I figure if I use them every day I may as well spend a bit more on some that I really like and won't have to replace in a few months.
Jpro747
Posts: 1342
Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by Jpro747 »

The Stretchy belt sounds like a good idea. I wear the RM belt but it can twist itself without you realising from getting in and out of the van and digs into your waist. It’s a right pain in the arse!

One thing I couldn’t be without is my sunglasses :cool
ArtG
Posts: 29
Joined: 24 Sep 2020, 09:01
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by ArtG »

Sunglasses or reactors if you have prescription glasses are a must on delivery. UV is bad for eyes and if you’re out for hours, even on hazy days, you’re absorbing a lot.

I had trouble with heel pain when I started ( funnily enough would hurt after my shift not during) until I got some memory foam inserts which have solved the problem.
ArtG
Posts: 29
Joined: 24 Sep 2020, 09:01
Gender: Male

Re: Useful kit (plasters, flasks and more)

Post by ArtG »

I forgot add wet-wipes. Came in very useful recently when a bird s**t all over the driver’s door handle!