ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Toe nail broken, what to do?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by cheerful »

The nail on my big toe got a dodgy looking line down it a few weeks ago, I hoped it'd grow out before it snapped.

Instead it snapped when I mildly caught it on something at home.

I've trimmed as much of the broken nail off as I can, but it's still got a ridge that'll catch on socks. Also looks a bit oozy.

It's only the last third of my big toe nail, if I'm in sandals it barely even hurts.

What am I supposed to do at work? I'm on a walking duty, I've not tried putting socks or trainers on, but I'd imagine it'd make it a lot worse.

But it's a toe nail, they take ages to grow, I can't be off sick till it's back.

Does the skin around it toughen up? Is just wrapping it up loads and going on a walk be ok?

Any advice please, I'm due back at work on Wednesday.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Dindin »

Cut as much of the ridge off . Stick on a plaster it w
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Dindin »

It will grow back probably won't be has bad as you think
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by greengiant »

either see how you get on, or self certify for 7 days?
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by cheerful »

I was a bit worried that walking with it might end up bad after the first loop.

Good to know it's likely not gonna be bad.
Dindin
Posts: 491
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Dindin »

How did you get on?
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by cheerful »

Thanks for asking.

Will let you know tomorrow, I'm on a 4 day contract, I was given Monday and Tuesday off.

Looks bruised and a chunk of nail is missing, but honestly barely hurts. Didn't think I banged it hard enough to justify this amount of bruising.

I've only been plodding around the house in sandals, tomorrow will be the proper test. Hoping it's not swollen enough to make trainers painful.
picture123
Posts: 121
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 20:42
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by picture123 »

I've lost more toenails than I can count (running), the skin just toughen, no biggie
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by clashcityrocker »

picture123 wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2021, 23:24
I've lost more toenails than I can count (running), the skin just toughen, no biggie
While your losses are obviously caused by trauma, if I suddenly lost a toenail I would be interested in finding out why.
It might be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. It could be something more serious.
It could be a biggie. I would want to find out.
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by greengiant »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
23 Jun 2021, 08:45
picture123 wrote: ↑
22 Jun 2021, 23:24
I've lost more toenails than I can count (running), the skin just toughen, no biggie
While your losses are obviously caused by trauma, if I suddenly lost a toenail I would be interested in finding out why.
It might be a sign of a vitamin deficiency. It could be something more serious.
It could be a biggie. I would want to find out.
Toerona virus?
Chelseablue
Posts: 2225
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Chelseablue »

Wider fitting footwear might help. New balance have a range
cheerful
Posts: 90
Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 21:30
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by cheerful »

Just an update for anyone finding this in the future through search:

Hit toe on Saturday evening, 4 day contract so wasn't in work till Wednesday. Did a full walk Wednesday and Thursday.

Toe is still badly bruised, must've hit it harder than I thought. Front left side of nail has been cut off.

Shoved a plaster on it, for protection and to stop the nail snagging on socks, and tried a few different trainers. My toe kept touching the end of some trainers, which was quite painful, but found a pair that are held tightly in place on the top of my foot.

Using that pair of trainers my toe doesn't touch the end of the trainer, it's honestly not bad. Just got to tighten the laces a few time a day to keep the trainer from touching the end of my toe, but it's significantly less painful than expected.

Also, lots of ibuprofen, it's an anti inflammatory, so should reduce swelling.
Blinkboy44
Posts: 48
Joined: 28 Sep 2017, 16:49
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Blinkboy44 »

Put it under your pillow and wait for the toe nail fairy..

But seriously, if it effects your ability to work, you can’t ignore it. There’s no need to take time off for it, as you should always save that for more serious occasions. Get a doctors note for light duties, indoor only if really bad, although personally I can’t stand that as time stands still, so I usually say il do parcels only. Despite that they still take the piss and will probably give you more then you would have to do normally, or cut off loops that are flat. Had to give them a gentle reminder that wasn’t going to happen and that 100 parcels wasn’t realistic for someone who should be on ‘light’ duties, and if pressure continued against doctors advice I would be going off sick properly, which quickly put an end to that issue.

Don’t just carry on as normal if walking is difficult though, it’s not your problem the walks are too long to be able to still manage with an injury, you could make it worse and then will have no choice but to have time off and then it’s your fault really for not managing your injury properly.

it’s probably a bit dramatic to go straight on sick for loosing a toe nail. At my office you wouldn’t live that one down lol
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Toe nail broken, what to do?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I had to read this post because I thought it was a wind up :hmmmm

Glad some of the advice worked and you managed to get around. Bear a thought though for the guys with plantars, or awaiting knee replacements. :cuppa