ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Van Share

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Van Share

Post by Selhurst »

Only been with Royal Mail since September 2020, and so not experienced van share. Can someone give detailed account of van share duties please? I currently do 5 different rounds a week so float/reserve. I find it difficult to get in the routine of swapping from one round to the next. I go over my time by about an hour every day, and so feel bit deflated after long day, and I’m pulled up about my overtime. I don’t WANT to be out past my time, but feel as though I’m not doing my job properly if I cut off and bring back Mail. Will van share help, or will I be holding up my partner/s ?
claretandblue
Posts: 914
Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14

Re: Van Share

Post by claretandblue »

It might do if you are with an experienced partner/ duty holder.
twoloops
Posts: 2036
Joined: 24 May 2017, 20:52
Gender: Male
Location: Sheffield

Re: Van Share

Post by twoloops »

If it’s a paired duty you both finish @ the same time, if you are behind surely your partner would help you finish, team working.
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16701
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

Re: Van Share

Post by clashcityrocker »

Are you an hour over your time every day because you leave late (if so why?) or does the duty outside take an hour longer than planned?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Van Share

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 15:59
Are you an hour over your time every day because you leave late (if so why?) or does the duty outside take an hour longer than planned?
I should think the original poster is on a part time contract but expected to do 38 hours work. If so don’t beat yourself up, u are doing well only going 1 hour over.
Selhurst
Posts: 120
Joined: 04 Oct 2020, 12:16
Gender: Male

Re: Van Share

Post by Selhurst »

Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 16:07
clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 15:59
Are you an hour over your time every day because you leave late (if so why?) or does the duty outside take an hour longer than planned?
I should think the original poster is on a part time contract but expected to do 38 hours work. If so don’t beat yourself up, u are doing well only going 1 hour over.
I’m on 35 hour contract. Some of the rounds are very long and one is rural. Long country lanes and long driveways. Lots of parcels and tracked. I’m usually out late, prep my own frame and may help prep another, and do lapsing. Sometimes I tell a manager I need help with oversize tracked, which is usually taken off me
Grumpyoldmailman
Posts: 810
Joined: 24 Nov 2019, 22:29
Gender: Male

Re: Van Share

Post by Grumpyoldmailman »

Selhurst wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 18:12
Grumpyoldmailman wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 16:07
clashcityrocker wrote: ↑
21 Jun 2021, 15:59
Are you an hour over your time every day because you leave late (if so why?) or does the duty outside take an hour longer than planned?
I should think the original poster is on a part time contract but expected to do 38 hours work. If so don’t beat yourself up, u are doing well only going 1 hour over.
prep my own frame and may help prep another, and do lapsing.
There’s your issue. Lapsing and prepping another duty are only if you have time which clearly you don’t.