ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
malibu200786
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Feb 2016, 16:08
Gender: Male

Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by malibu200786 »

So I've been off work since start of the week ill , now I have had letter inviting me to a informal meeting today .
Now I feel pressured to go back into work !
Although I am feeling quite a bit better after being on antibiotics , now I'm thinking if I go in today because I'm due a meeting , it looks likes ive just come in because I've panicked about it and I must of been lying about being ill.
Phantom
Posts: 1234
Joined: 27 Dec 2007, 18:17
Gender: Female
Location: New York

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Phantom »

If you are ill, don't go in.

If you do go in it will look to management that you are fit and able by making it to the interview.
CUT OFF!!!
malibu200786
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Feb 2016, 16:08
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by malibu200786 »

Thing is a feel alot better and probably could do work , but I just think if I go in it looks like I've just come in because I'm threatened by the meeting , and the management can say I was lying all the time ?
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

If you're fit to go back to work then go back to work.
Forget what management might think because they'll assume you're a work-shy liar either way.
Only dead fish follow the current
RavingPostie
Posts: 5
Joined: 31 Mar 2020, 20:20
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by RavingPostie »

Don’t crack under the pressure and go back before you are ready. I had this when I was off with kidney stones. The day I was suppose to go in for informal interview was the day I had an ambulance out and went to A+E. Rang them before I went to tell them I could not attend and they said they would come to my house then. I said I don’t think so and off I went to A+E. It’s harassment at its finest. If your not fit to go tell them your not well enough and you will arrange one for a time when you are better. Funnily enough the guy I work with who’s been there 20 years has been off on sick for up to 9 months (2 different times) and has never been invited for informal interview. I believe it’s a pressure tactic to get newer staff to cave and return to work before they are ready :no no
bishopoflove
Posts: 63
Joined: 02 Mar 2016, 09:45
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by bishopoflove »

I've had several of these letters refused every time to go in for meeting,your not obliged to, your allowed to self cert for a week so take the week, if you go back and have to go off again because your not better it'll be classed as 2 periods of sickness, it happened to me and I got a stage 1 from trying to help the business out.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by POSTMAN »

All contact should be agreed, including face to face meetings. Within the agreement is states face to face meetings can take place at day 28, week 12 and week 22. There can be face to face meetings outside of these timings, however these should be agreed and not ‘demanded’ by the manager.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=89490

Joint statement
It is important for the manager and employee to maintain contact during a period of absence.
Where the absence is likely to be longer than a few days, the employee and manager should agree
how contact will be maintained, the frequency and the method used. For example, telephone
contact weekly and/or after any medical appointments.

Full shibang...
NATIONAL ATTENDANCE PROCEDURE 2013
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Ad_bee
Posts: 129
Joined: 09 Dec 2019, 14:03
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Ad_bee »

Just respond to & inform them of progress by E-mail.

They can't backchat or B&H E-Mail and its a papertrail fror future reference.
Woody Guthrie
Posts: 5166
Joined: 29 Sep 2018, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Woody Guthrie »

Ad_bee wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2021, 16:10
Just respond to & inform them of progress by E-mail.

They can't backchat or B&H E-Mail and its a papertrail fror future reference.
The method of contact is supposed to be agreed as well.
We can't call them out for ignoring the agreement then ignore it ourselves.
Only dead fish follow the current
Ad_bee
Posts: 129
Joined: 09 Dec 2019, 14:03
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Ad_bee »

Woody Guthrie wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2021, 16:29
Ad_bee wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2021, 16:10
Just respond to & inform them of progress by E-mail.

They can't backchat or B&H E-Mail and its a papertrail fror future reference.
The method of contact is supposed to be agreed as well.
We can't call them out for ignoring the agreement then ignore it ourselves.

Yes true...and important.

For AoD I've always informed them verbally before leaving and for call-in abscence I've always informed them of the option over the phone.

Note: I....inform....them (take ownership)

Thats whats required and thats what happens....but its always E-Mail after the initial thingy.

Cheers!
Nickvilla20
Posts: 789
Joined: 13 May 2013, 07:30
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by Nickvilla20 »

I’ve just been signed off for 2 weeks by the doctors as I’m feeling mentally unwell. Had a nice message from the DOM demanding I come in for a face to face tomorrow. It’s not exactly helping my mental health.
weary_posty
Posts: 225
Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by weary_posty »

Whenever I’m off sick I always take an extra day to make sure I’m fully fit. It’s easy to feel “fit to work” but go in and overdo it.

You can self certify for up to a week. If you need it take it :thumbup
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Been off sick for 3 days , been invited to a informal meeting?

Post by POSTMAN »

POSTMAN wrote: ↑
11 Jun 2021, 13:40
All contact should be agreed, including face to face meetings. Within the agreement is states face to face meetings can take place at day 28, week 12 and week 22. There can be face to face meetings outside of these timings, however these should be agreed and not ‘demanded’ by the manager.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=89490

Joint statement
It is important for the manager and employee to maintain contact during a period of absence.
Where the absence is likely to be longer than a few days, the employee and manager should agree
how contact will be maintained, the frequency and the method used. For example, telephone
contact weekly and/or after any medical appointments.

Full shibang...
NATIONAL ATTENDANCE PROCEDURE 2013
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.