I was working in a new office on a HTC round today, by the end of my round I was really desperate for a number 1! I had a 20min walk back to the office. I called in to a care home on my route and asked polietly if I could use the visitor toilet and was refused access.
I wasn't too sure if they were allowed to refuse. There wasn't really any other businesses such as a super market, garage, shop etc I could ask, it was the only place I had seen that I thought I could go.
I personally couldn't refuse someome a loo stop if it was my door they knocked at and felt really upset after!
This is from RM's own Coronavirus Q & A document, a bit of a grey area for care homes I'd say seeing
as they might not really be a business and their probably hyper sensitive about protecting their residents...........
Where access to toilet facilities is limited what should we do?
If in rare cases this is difficult, a letter has been produced by the Department for Transport and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to reassure drivers and to remind businesses of their obligations under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, to provide suitable toilet and hand washing facilities to drivers visiting their premises.
Businesses which make or receive deliveries, should ensure that drivers have easy and safe access to toilets and hand washing facilities to support their health and wellbeing whilst carrying out their important work, which supports the economy.
Preventing access is against the law. Regulations 20 and 21 state that suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities shall be provided at readily accessible places and that hot and cold running water and soap must be available to use.
While this obligation for businesses is not new, ensuring that hygiene facilities are made available to colleagues is especially important during the current Covid-19 crisis, to help tackle the spread of the virus, at a time when there are fewer locations operating with facilities for colleagues to use.
Consider some of the following whilst maintaining the 2m social distancing at all times when possible:
• Use the toilet facilities before leaving the office.
• Request to use the facilities of a business customer (they are legally required to provide toilet facilities).
• Make use of any public toilets.
• If there is an urgent requirement to wash hands e.g. a first aid incident, consider stopping your delivery/collection and visit the nearest public convenience or drive back to your office.
• Takeaways and garages may have toilets available for use.
You can wave the bit of paper that your manager probably provided regarding using toilet of any business you deliver to, but at the end of the day I've been refused even with the paper - fair enough their decision I'll drive back to office or another office to use their toilet instead. Care homes I would probably avoid for covid reasons, they don't even let us in to deliver the mail now even to doors with their own letter boxes in the sheltered blocks so can't see them letting me use the toilet either.
Knowledge is a treasure but practice is the key to it.
I can't believe that anyone would even consider asking to use toilets in a care home at the moment, let alone be surprised to be told to f off. Maybe the OP genuinely hasn't heard any news in the last 15 months.
Just tell them you've recently been released from the covid ward from your local hospital, and you have a note off that nice Matt Handcock, you'll be in in no time.
Royal Mail managers.....about as popular as a t.urd in a swimming pool!
The DDA/Equality Act demands action,NOT words......adjustments NOT Occupational Health referrals.Case No:2505901/09
Royal Mail is an Equal Opportunities Employer..It discriminates against everybody.