ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Collections

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Rmurphy91
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Nov 2018, 17:24
Gender: Male

Collections

Post by Rmurphy91 »

Hi all

My line manager has told me that in a few weeks I’ll be trained up onto collections and starting in the afternoon until 6pm. I haven’t agreed this I was basically told this is what I have to do to cover the collection duty’s. I haven’t checked my contract yet but I’m sure it shows a 9am start. Are they allowed to force this upon especially as I have a child at home? I’m on a 25 hour contract and they’ll basically have me coming in 5 hours a day.

Thanks
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by SpacePhoenix »

Are you a leave reserve (and is this in a DO or MC)?
Babel071
Posts: 20
Joined: 31 Mar 2017, 16:31
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by Babel071 »

I'm pretty sure Dom should give 28 days notice prior to changing start time. Although, as you've said you do have childcare responsibility in the afternoon so talk with your Dom first. If no luck contact union and go from there.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32803
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by POSTMAN »

If you got the job for a 9am start because of the kids then they are a bit dodgy if they are seriously screwing you about.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by sindba »

Sadly I think they probably can, but ask your rep.

Most contracts these days are vague, it will probably say something like "25hours a week according to business requirements".

Your best bet is probably to nip this in the bud by talking to your manager, and being very clear that these hours are not suitable for you. Ideally ask your rep to take it up with them.
sindba
Posts: 1456
Joined: 05 Feb 2012, 20:27
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by sindba »

1-6 collection duty sounds lovely to me, mind you.

Think I'll look out for one for the next re-sign!
Rmurphy91
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Nov 2018, 17:24
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by Rmurphy91 »

Spoke to union and they said be careful with kicking up a stink as I’ve been pushing for a full time contract. Basically said that if I don’t carry on with going into collections I won’t get a full time contract. How are collections as I’ve never done them myself?
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by Alexei »

Ah, good old blackmail. Dangle the full time contract in front of your face to make you dance then forever pull it just out of reach once you nearly catch it.

Full time contracts go by seniority. If you're the most senior part timer, then they couldn't 'officially' offer it to someone else less senior. I'm pretty sure even if you have childcare issues they couldn't discriminate like that. What it's likely to be is the illusion of a full time position but actually only paid on overtime to trick you into being their workhorse. I could be wrong though, just my cynical approach!

As for collections, I loved mines. Slightly smaller duty, working hours meant not around when all the chaos was unfolding in the mornings and missed out on the politics. Can be annoying at times with unorganised customers, parking/access and over-filled bags, but on the whole it's just the 'annoying' part of that role. Every role has them.
sfxdby
Posts: 81
Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 21:48
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by sfxdby »

I think you need to consider whether 1-6 is a duty that you would like to cover.
I have children and there is no way that this would suit me. I couldn't do it. It does, however, depend on your circumstances.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the FT role that may be offered. Probably a carrot-on-a-string, as alluded to already.

If I was told that my hours were changing, I would be telling them that I have children and that I am only available for these times during the day. I imagine that they would move onto the next person and not bat an eyelid.
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by 97gaz »

Rmurphy91 wrote: ↑
13 May 2021, 21:40
Spoke to union and they said be careful with kicking up a stink as I’ve been pushing for a full time contract. Basically said that if I don’t carry on with going into collections I won’t get a full time contract. How are collections as I’ve never done them myself?
Should this not be in the corrupt reps thread?
HA1
Posts: 75
Joined: 28 Mar 2020, 16:15
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by HA1 »

The job description may have times in them but no contracts have start and finish times in them only the hours you work per week.
wallan
Posts: 498
Joined: 09 Apr 2012, 08:12
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by wallan »

There are at least 2 vacancies being advertised at the the moment that show the attendance times , 0800 - 1445 & 1500 - 1900
PostieSteps
Posts: 7
Joined: 14 Jan 2021, 18:21
Gender: Male

Re: Collections

Post by PostieSteps »

This is the first post I’ve seen mentioning collections roles/duties.

Personally I moved over from deliveries about 6/7 weeks ago & I love it. Much more chilled, no pressure.

Still do parcel delivery Saturday mornings before collections so yes, I’m happy

Anyone else care to share?
Route1
Posts: 369
Joined: 05 Jun 2015, 00:48
Gender: Female

Re: Collections

Post by Route1 »

Ive covered everything (locker / earlies / lates / collections / postie) except dom / coaching roles.

Collections are definitely more chilled. Some are easier than others. You also might get the opportunity to do a walk / parcels in the morning if you are looking for o/t. Also easier on the body. A pair of shoes lasted me about 3-4 years on collections. Another plus was most of our collection routes were mon - fri so every weekend off.

I did it because it suited my lifestyle at the time. My lifestyle has changed again so im back on delivery and enjoying it. I miss the collections but i like being able to pick the kids up from school.