ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Shared van driver

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
par4mrl
Posts: 89
Joined: 21 Feb 2013, 22:34
Gender: Male

Shared van driver

Post by par4mrl »

Why would you be the driver now if you had the choice. Personally I’m signing into the walking part of the 2 man duty in our resign and that will take so much more stress out of the daily workload especially at Xmas
2yearpostie
Posts: 1839
Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by 2yearpostie »

Until the 'driver' is on his day/week off and someone else who dont know it is put on to cover it and you have to drive..
toonshola
Posts: 917
Joined: 29 Jul 2011, 16:31
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by toonshola »

par4mrl wrote: ↑
08 May 2021, 16:16
Why would you be the driver now if you had the choice. Personally I’m signing into the walking part of the 2 man duty in our resign and that will take so much more stress out of the daily workload especially at Xmas
100% agree. You would be out your mind to willingly choose the driving side of a van share duty these days. All the stress of doing the massive amount increase in large parcels whilst your partner stands on a corner judging you for “taking too long”. Sadly I’m probably too far down the seniority list in our office so I’ll probably be stuck doing this shite for a good few years yet.
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4111
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by ted_e_bear »

I can't believe that in the 11 years or whatever it is since van sharing was introduced that some still haven't grasped the concept of working as a 2 person "team".
dohnut
Posts: 658
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:15
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by dohnut »

I have been with company over 14 years, and have always drove. Like the op said it is more responsibility for no more pay, I even work with someone who can drive but doesnt drive for royalmail, Wouldnt mind a packet duty if the opportunity arises, as my joints are f****d not only with the walking but the constant getting in and out of van, which only I do.
Tinoblade
Posts: 252
Joined: 13 Jan 2018, 19:51
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by Tinoblade »

But if you do drive for royal mail, when van sharing is back, if you get back to the van first are you not going to take the van and deliver some parcels instead of just waiting?
Alexei
Posts: 222
Joined: 23 Jul 2017, 18:01
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by Alexei »

The attractive part of being the driver was having one less loop to do so you could focus on packets while the passenger done the extra loop. That was the logic behind many of the picks in the revision which brought it in.

Sadly there are many folk who aren't willing to work as a team. Park and loop is great when the two individuals work as a team, but it's absolute torture in most cases as one of the individuals tries to get a free ride. Usually the passenger in my experiences but seen drivers 'at it' as well.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12194
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I thought that RM planned to have 1 in 6 duties being pure parcels duties and the DPs that the duty would have done get divided up between the other 5 (probably re-jigging of what DPs are on what walk needed all round) unless RM have axed that idea
Last edited by SpacePhoenix on 09 May 2021, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
xPandabear1992x
Posts: 286
Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by xPandabear1992x »

depends what you can handle. i usually eat up the overtime.

i frequently am the driver on the "partner can't drive" walks and I do see my share of "well, I'm done now, see ya" types but most of the time i get "well i know a short cut here so i'll take 10 off you and meet you at the next walk", which is decent.
worktotime
Posts: 2866
Joined: 14 May 2010, 20:47
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by worktotime »

SpacePhoenix wrote: ↑
08 May 2021, 19:57
I thought that RM planned to have 1 in 6 duties being pure parcels duties and the DPs that the duty would have done get divided up between the other 5 (probably re-jigging of what DPs are on what walk needed all round) unless RM have axed that idea
that was ricos idea so he took that with him as that was an easy way for dims to get stuff done , and thats not a table top or structural revision .
Startingover
Posts: 48
Joined: 06 Jun 2018, 21:04
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by Startingover »

I do feel that since the pandemic began, shared van drivers have literally been taken for a ride by Royal Mail.

Their so called team mates, who walk, have seen the amount of mail reduce (as per Royal Mail), whilst the van driver has had the increased packets/parcels to deliver. Their team mate, has not taken on of the drivers loops to help them out. As soon as they have finished their loops, they are off home, whilst the driver has to return any 739's as well as returning the van (ensuring it is clean, fuel, oil, water topped up etc) .

Not only myself, but others in the same office, look forward to when their team mates are off, when management have helped at times, by allowing, someone (who can drive) to take the team mates duty out in a separate van and you then have only your own duty to look after.
hazzeem025
Posts: 280
Joined: 11 Oct 2009, 18:09
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by hazzeem025 »

I must be doing something wrong. As the non driver on a park n loop I do twice as much walking as the driver! Mind you we're mates, so neither of us sh***s on the other one. I probably do two thirds of all the walking while he does the packets and lapsing. If I can't fit something in my bag, he takes it. Simple. Works well. I'm amazed at the amount of so called colleagues who are quite happy to s**t on their driver/walker by sitting doing nowt. Sums up the Royal Mail I'm alright Jack attitude perfectly.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

Re: Shared van driver

Post by fb1969 »

hazzeem025 wrote: ↑
09 May 2021, 19:19
I must be doing something wrong. As the non driver on a park n loop I do twice as much walking as the driver! Mind you we're mates, so neither of us sh***s on the other one. I probably do two thirds of all the walking while he does the packets and lapsing. If I can't fit something in my bag, he takes it. Simple. Works well. I'm amazed at the amount of so called colleagues who are quite happy to s**t on their driver/walker by sitting doing nowt. Sums up the Royal Mail I'm alright Jack attitude perfectly.
I was thinking much the same about me and my partner. I do drive but we are both doing the side that we prefer, we both know all the loops and know what the other is doing most of the time. No stitching up or backstabbing.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
PostmanBitesDog
Posts: 1428
Joined: 17 Feb 2019, 15:46
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by PostmanBitesDog »

I'm not going to share a van if the driver is going to do this sort of stunt. :shock:

Oops.jpg

ITV (Sunday, May 9, 2021): "It Went a Tad Wrong"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ripio
Posts: 233
Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
Gender: Male

Re: Shared van driver

Post by ripio »

Tinoblade wrote: ↑
08 May 2021, 19:08
But if you do drive for royal mail, when van sharing is back, if you get back to the van first are you not going to take the van and deliver some parcels instead of just waiting?
No, because it is not authorised.
You aren't the designated driver, you haven't done the van checks, you haven't completed the pda van sign in and checklist. If you get caught by a speed camera or traffic light camera, it will be the designated driver who gets fined not you. If you have an accident requiring police attendance they might want to know why you are driving the vehicle when you are not logged as the driver.