I’ve had it drilled into me that if I don’t want overtime, I must come in 4 1/2 hours before the full timers finishing time essentially.
This means start times of 10am some days.
As you can imagine, the office is empty and people will have been out delivering for at least an hour, some more.
By the time I deliver my first letter, it’s between 10:30-11.
Sometimes gives me about 3.15 hours to do what I can.
Every day I bring mail/non tracked back or leave it in, management don’t appreciate that, somehow think I can do the same amount of work as people that have been delivering their first letter 2 hours before I do.
Well, they’ve had enough it would seem so I’m being moved onto a duty where they can ‘keep an eye on me’
Today, I took the entire duty out minus large parcels, tracked packets and one loop.
Got back 45 minutes early, was told that in 2 weeks they expect me to be doing the full duty including the large, tracked and extra loop. Of course that’s going to be impossible unless I do overtime(no thanks)
I hope they come out to monitor me doing the job properly, with trolley, one day.
Thoughts?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
-
Jiperjuper
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 11 Dec 2018, 23:13
- Gender: Male
-
2yearpostie
- Posts: 1839
- Joined: 03 Mar 2020, 15:36
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
Formally write a letter/email to your Dom asking them to shadow you for the day so they can advise how you can be more efficient ( I know you cant be more efficient but if they refuse youve covered your ass)
-
burtons
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 67
- Joined: 13 Jan 2012, 21:32
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
Hi , I've had a similar problem years ago.. basically 25hour contract over 5 days, the job wasn't possible 10 years ago on a 25 hour contact.presuming your in the union have a word with rep or area rep ideally...I don't know why people are still employed on 25 hour contracts,fine if you want overtime, having words with the Dom most mornings was soul destroying for me..
-
sorefeet17
- Posts: 299
- Joined: 11 May 2015, 17:10
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
Do you know the official hours for the route and how it compares to your hours? it will save a lot of arguing if you can point out that they are asking you to do something that is rated for more time than you actually have,
-
Jiperjuper
- Posts: 45
- Joined: 11 Dec 2018, 23:13
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
Not a clue, no doubt it would be wrong? Ha.sorefeet17 wrote: ↑08 May 2021, 21:47Do you know the official hours for the route and how it compares to your hours? it will save a lot of arguing if you can point out that they are asking you to do something that is rated for more time than you actually have,
Would it include large parcels etc
-
xPandabear1992x
- Posts: 286
- Joined: 29 Jul 2019, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
do your time and cut off accordingly!
-
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1923
- Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
- Gender: Male
Re: 25 hour week contract, not enough time? (Long read)
In these pandemic days of parcel madness outside of tradition pressure periods, a 5 hour shift including 30mins paid break is very challenging for completing a whole HCT duty and for a driving duty nigh on impossible, given it will take...
~30mins to grab SDs; do redirections; tie up frame and load it
Additional time for vehicle check
Travel to/from delivery area
~10mins inside depot at end of duty to deal with getting tools back to frame; ensuring bags/hct are clear of rerturned items; taking undelivered parcels to cage; washing your hands etc.
Leaves you with ~3.5 hours on the delivery itself at best, so with extra attendance calls from overweights/oversize if in a van and a van check, you have no chance of completing most days.
A 6 hour day for drivers and 5.5 hours for HCT users, coming in to a duty fully prepped, is far more realistic at least in my section... I really don't envy the 5-day 25 hour contract PTers these days, the expectations after the incoming revisions could be absolutely horrific.
~30mins to grab SDs; do redirections; tie up frame and load it
Additional time for vehicle check
Travel to/from delivery area
~10mins inside depot at end of duty to deal with getting tools back to frame; ensuring bags/hct are clear of rerturned items; taking undelivered parcels to cage; washing your hands etc.
Leaves you with ~3.5 hours on the delivery itself at best, so with extra attendance calls from overweights/oversize if in a van and a van check, you have no chance of completing most days.
A 6 hour day for drivers and 5.5 hours for HCT users, coming in to a duty fully prepped, is far more realistic at least in my section... I really don't envy the 5-day 25 hour contract PTers these days, the expectations after the incoming revisions could be absolutely horrific.